Recovering W2K via the repair folder

Hello:

I have been looking for a TechNet article which covers recovering a crashed
computer by using the recovery console and renaming files in the "repair"
folder. Does anyone know the process to do this type of a recovery?
Thanks...

Harrison Midkiff
5 answers Last reply
More about recovering repair folder

    Hi Harrision,

    Have a look at the links below, they should hopefully cover off many of the
    things your after. If not I can probably find some other info on the
    recovery console.

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

    Support WebCast: Microsoft Windows XP: Exploring Boot Options and Recovery
    Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324465

    Heres a webcast on how to use it foir Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325142

    DJW

    You can replace registry hives from within the recovery console.

    You can try using the most recent backup found in;
    %windir%\repair\regback

    or use the original-as-installed system hive from;
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\syste­m
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
    the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
    installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    You can run Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Backup, then choose ERD, then
    if you check the box for "Also backup....", then the reg will also be backed
    up to
    %windir%\repair\RegBack
    leaving the
    %windir%\repair\
    directory files intact as original installation.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
    | Hello:
    |
    | I have been looking for a TechNet article which covers recovering a
    crashed
    | computer by using the recovery console and renaming files in the "repair"
    | folder. Does anyone know the process to do this type of a recovery?
    | Thanks...
    |
    | Harrison Midkiff

    Hi Harrison - In addition to the info Rebecca and Dave provided, you may be
    interested in a slightly different approach using Erunt/Erdnt.

    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ I've set it up to take a
    scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
    Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject

    The following tutorials are useful:

    Installing & Using ERUNT
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

    To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

    This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
    done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
    previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
    write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
    Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
    drivers, after which you can do a normal ERDNT restore. See erunt.txt for
    detailed instructions. Basically, if you make your backup into a folder
    inside your Windows or Winnt folder, you can restore at a Recovery Console
    boot by copying the files from that ERDNT folder into the system32\config
    folder. After a good boot, then do another normal ERDNT restore to also
    restore the user hives also.) (BTW, it also includes a Registry defragger
    program). Free, and very, very highly recommended.

    FYI, quoting from the above document:

    Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
    complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
    exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

    Here's a bit more info about the Recovery Console approach using Erdnt:

    You can only do this from a DOS boot if your file system is
    FAT32 OR you have NTFS drivers. However, you can do a partial restore to
    get back to being bootable by using the Recovery Console if you've installed
    it, and then do a full restore. (BTW, remember to re-install the Recovery
    Console if you slipstream any of your SP's into a local i386 folder.)

    Essentially, the approach is to put the ERDNT folder(s) where your nightly
    ERUNT is saved inside %SystemRoot% and then use the Recovery Console to
    first back up the existing hives in %SystemRoot%\System32\Config and then
    replace them with the ones from an appropriate ERDNT folder. This won't
    restore the User hives, but will let you boot so that you can then do a
    normal ERDNT restore of all hives. You can do it manually or you can
    automate the process by using a batch regcopy1.txt command in
    Recovery Console where regcopy1.txt contains something like (in this case
    E:\ is the %SystemRoot% for my Win2kProSP4 system, and I save to both a Temp
    folder and a nightly named folder each night. Here I'm just using the Temp
    which will have the last night's save in it. On most XP systems, you would
    need to use c:\Windows\system32 . . . instead):

    md tmp
    copy e:\winnt\system32\config\system e:\winnt\tmp\system.bak
    copy e:\winnt\system32\config\software e:\winnt\tmp\software.bak
    copy e:\winnt\system32\config\sam e:\winnt\tmp\sam.bak
    copy e:\winnt\system32\config\security e:\winnt\tmp\security.bak
    copy e:\winnt\system32\config\default e:\winnt\tmp\default.bak

    delete e:\winnt\system32\config\system
    delete e:\winnt\system32\config\software
    delete e:\winnt\system32\config\sam
    delete e:\winnt\system32\config\security
    delete e:\winnt\system32\config\default

    copy e:\winnt\ERDNT\Temp\system e:\winnt\system32\config\system
    copy e:\winnt\ERDNT\Temp\software e:\winnt\system32\config\software
    copy e:\winnt\ERDNT\Temp\sam e:\winnt\system32\config\sam
    copy e:\winnt\ERDNT\Temp\security e:\winnt\system32\config\security
    copy e:\winnt\ERDNT\Temp\default e:\winnt\system32\config\default

    See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 (Be
    very careful about your specific system's ERUNT naming conventions which can
    depend upon just how your backup was saved, manually vs. a scheduled task.)

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

    "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have been looking for a TechNet article which covers recovering a
    > crashed computer by using the recovery console and renaming files in
    > the "repair" folder. Does anyone know the process to do this type of
    > a recovery? Thanks...
    >
    > Harrison Midkiff

    The brief steps look like the following:

    1. Restart your computer by using a Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD-ROM

    2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the
    Recovery Console (Windows XP) or press R (to repair an existing Windows
    2000 installation), and then at the next screen, press C to continue to the
    Recovery Console.

    Any update, let's get in touch!

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Hi Harrison,

    I would like to confirm my understanding that you want to restore the
    original hive in repair folder? Are you unable to boot in the normal mode
    due to the corrupted system registry?

    If this is the case, I have found the following article has described the
    info, it also applies to the win2k system. Please refer to the article
    carefully to see if you encounter the same error when you start win2k
    machine:

    To recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
    How thttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    The following article describes recovery console in win2k machine, and I
    would like to extract the following info which may be your interests:

    Select Fast Repair if you need to recover a newly installed system. Fast
    Repair automatically performs all three Manual Repair options and verifies
    crucial registry files (i.e., SAM, SECURITY, SYSTEM, and SOFTWARE). If a
    hive is missing or corrupted, Fast Repair copies the version that resides
    in the \%systemroot%\repair directory to the \%systemroot%\system32\config
    directory. Of course, this process restores the original (as opposed to the
    current) registry file, which returns the system to its original
    configuration.

    If you must use Fast Repair, you can then restore the current state from a
    backup or use the RC to replace the generic versions of the registry hives
    with current versions that reside in the \regback directory. The Microsoft
    article "Differences Between Manual and Fast Repair in Windows 2000"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q238/3/59.asp) details
    each of these operations and provides additional repair-related references.

    More info can be found from the article below:

    The ABCs of Win2K Recovery and Repair
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kmag01/
    html/Win2KRecoveryandRepair.asp

    If you have any update or questions, please feel free to let me know.

    Best regards,

    --------------------
    >From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
    >Subject: Recovering W2K via the repair folder
    >Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:45:11 -0400
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    >
    >Hello:
    >
    >I have been looking for a TechNet article which covers recovering a
    crashed
    >computer by using the recovery console and renaming files in the "repair"
    >folder. Does anyone know the process to do this type of a recovery?
    >Thanks...
    >
    >Harrison Midkiff

Microsoft Recovery Console Windows