Folder size threshold

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 14, 2005 8:01:46 PM

Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
space has been cleared?

Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.

Thanks,
Grant

More about : folder size threshold

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:01:47 PM

Set a quota...

"Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o r9RCIPcFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
> Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share
> until space has been cleared?
>
> Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps
> of stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>

> Thanks,
> Grant

June 14, 2005 8:01:48 PM

remember that quotas are per volume.....you can't put a quota on a folder.

--
aaron
A+,NET+,MCSE 2K/2K3,CNA,CCNA
"j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
news:o DshqjPcFHA.2964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Set a quota...
>

> "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o r9RCIPcFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
>> Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share
>> until space has been cleared?
>>
>> Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps
>> of stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Grant

June 15, 2005 11:48:09 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
>Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
>space has been cleared?
>
>Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
>stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>

>Thanks,
>Grant

See tip 4810 » How can I implement a share or departmental quota system?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:37:56 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
>Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
>space has been cleared?
>
>Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
>stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>

>Thanks,
>Grant

See tip 9460 » How do I implement a shared folder quota system?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:41:38 PM

you can use disk quota...

Jerold Schulman wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
>>Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
>>space has been cleared?
>>
>>Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
>>stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>>

>>Thanks,
>>Grant
>>

> See tip 9460 » How do I implement a shared folder quota system?
> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:59:01 PM

As of 2003 R2 beta1 you can have per-directory quotas. These can be created
using a CLI via dirquota.exe or via a GUI with the FSRM MMC snap-in.

Brian

!