Folder size threshold

Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
space has been cleared?

Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.

Thanks,
Grant
6 answers Last reply
More about folder size threshold

    Set a quota...

    "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
    > Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share
    > until space has been cleared?
    >
    > Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps
    > of stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Grant

    remember that quotas are per volume.....you can't put a quota on a folder.

    --
    aaron
    A+,NET+,MCSE 2K/2K3,CNA,CCNA

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
    >Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
    >space has been cleared?
    >
    >Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
    >stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
    >

    >Thanks,
    >Grant

    See tip 4810 » How can I implement a share or departmental quota system?
    in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
    >Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
    >space has been cleared?
    >
    >Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
    >stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
    >

    >Thanks,
    >Grant

    See tip 9460 » How do I implement a shared folder quota system?
    in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    you can use disk quota...

    Jerold Schulman wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
    >>Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
    >>space has been cleared?
    >>
    >>Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
    >>stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
    >>

    >>Thanks,
    >>Grant
    >>

    > See tip 9460 » How do I implement a shared folder quota system?
    > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    As of 2003 R2 beta1 you can have per-directory quotas. These can be created
    using a CLI via dirquota.exe or via a GUI with the FSRM MMC snap-in.

    Brian

    "aaron" wrote:

    > remember that quotas are per volume.....you can't put a quota on a folder.
    >
    > --
    > aaron
    > A+,NET+,MCSE 2K/2K3,CNA,CCNA
    > "j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
    > > Set a quota...
    > >

    > > "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
    > >> Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share
    > >> until space has been cleared?
    > >>
    > >> Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps
    > >> of stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
    > >>

    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Grant

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Servers Windows