Troubleshooting Time Issues

We are running Win2k with A.D. Is there documentation for troubleshooting
time issues? I have several pc's that are losing time and I want to rule
out my time server and the windows time service (on each computer) as being
the cause. Can anyone help?

In an active directory system, the workstation clock has to be within 5
minutes of the authenticating domain controller for kerberos to work
properly.

The 1st thing you should do is get all your domain controllers syncronized
on something. I personally use an NTP client on each of them, and aim that
client at the Naval Observatory's atomic clock.

"Kenneth Bryant" <kbryant@checksinthemail.com> wrote in message
> We are running Win2k with A.D. Is there documentation for troubleshooting
> time issues? I have several pc's that are losing time and I want to rule
> out my time server and the windows time service (on each computer) as
> being
> the cause. Can anyone help?

I have already done this. I too, point to the Naval Observatory, but I also
point to the University Of Houston time server. I still have clients that
are losing time.....any idea how to proceed?

"j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
> In an active directory system, the workstation clock has to be within 5
> minutes of the authenticating domain controller for kerberos to work
> properly.
>
> The 1st thing you should do is get all your domain controllers syncronized
> on something. I personally use an NTP client on each of them, and aim
that
> client at the Naval Observatory's atomic clock.
>
> "Kenneth Bryant" <kbryant@checksinthemail.com> wrote in message
> > We are running Win2k with A.D. Is there documentation for
troubleshooting
> > time issues? I have several pc's that are losing time and I want to
rule
> > out my time server and the windows time service (on each computer) as
> > being
> > the cause. Can anyone help?

Will you clients accept a NET TIME command from the login script? You may
have a local or AD user policy preventing updates of the clock. A quick and
dirty check is to see if a normal user can double click on the clock and
bring up the calander, or if it is locked out.

>I have already done this. I too, point to the Naval Observatory, but I
>also
> point to the University Of Houston time server. I still have clients that
> are losing time.....any idea how to proceed?
>

> "j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
>> In an active directory system, the workstation clock has to be within 5
>> minutes of the authenticating domain controller for kerberos to work
>> properly.
>>
>> The 1st thing you should do is get all your domain controllers
>> syncronized
>> on something. I personally use an NTP client on each of them, and aim
> that
>> client at the Naval Observatory's atomic clock.
>>
>> "Kenneth Bryant" <kbryant@checksinthemail.com> wrote in message
>> > We are running Win2k with A.D. Is there documentation for
> troubleshooting
>> > time issues? I have several pc's that are losing time and I want to
> rule
>> > out my time server and the windows time service (on each computer) as
>> > being
>> > the cause. Can anyone help?

Is there a specific syntax for the net time command that I can use with a
Kix script?
> Will you clients accept a NET TIME command from the login script? You may
> have a local or AD user policy preventing updates of the clock. A quick
and
> dirty check is to see if a normal user can double click on the clock and
> bring up the calander, or if it is locked out.
>
> "Kenneth Bryant" <kbryant@checksinthemail.com> wrote in message
> >I have already done this. I too, point to the Naval Observatory, but I
> >also
> > point to the University Of Houston time server. I still have clients
that
> > are losing time.....any idea how to proceed?
> >

> > "j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
> >> In an active directory system, the workstation clock has to be within 5
> >> minutes of the authenticating domain controller for kerberos to work
> >> properly.
> >>
> >> The 1st thing you should do is get all your domain controllers
> >> syncronized
> >> on something. I personally use an NTP client on each of them, and aim
> > that
> >> client at the Naval Observatory's atomic clock.
> >>
> >> "Kenneth Bryant" <kbryant@checksinthemail.com> wrote in message
> > troubleshooting
> > rule

I haven't worked with Kix in ages, I'm afraid... but I'm pretty sure that
it has the capability of sporking a batch file, which could contain standart
NET TIME syntax.... or, I believe, that the Kixtart time syntax is SETTIME
"\\servername"