what if I dont reboot?

I just did 23 critical updates on a test server. It asks me if I want to
reboot when Im done. It also says that no other critical updates are
available. If I dont reboot it, are the newly installed updates not in
effect? I ask because I cant imagine that businesses with tons of servers
are always bouncing they're production boxes becuase of updates? I really
dont want to bounce all of mine and I dont have that many. Are there only
certain types of critical updates that require a reboot? Is there just a
service or two that I can restart to have the same effect? Any other
alternative?

TIA, ChrisR
2 answers Last reply
More about what dont reboot

    It depends on the update and whether or not there is a file that needs to be
    replaced that is in use and, thus, locked.

    ChrisR wrote:

    >I just did 23 critical updates on a test server. It asks me if I want to
    >reboot when Im done. It also says that no other critical updates are
    >available. If I dont reboot it, are the newly installed updates not in
    >effect? I ask because I cant imagine that businesses with tons of servers
    >are always bouncing they're production boxes becuase of updates? I really
    >dont want to bounce all of mine and I dont have that many. Are there only
    >certain types of critical updates that require a reboot? Is there just a
    >service or two that I can restart to have the same effect? Any other
    >alternative?

    Any that say you must reboot before the changes will take effect, I
    presume you must reboot before the changes will take effect. This isn't
    linux, after all.

    --
    Philosophy: That attempt to explain why so much about life makes us cuss.

Microsoft Servers Windows