what if I dont reboot?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 14, 2005 12:49:31 PM

I just did 23 critical updates on a test server. It asks me if I want to
reboot when Im done. It also says that no other critical updates are
available. If I dont reboot it, are the newly installed updates not in
effect? I ask because I cant imagine that businesses with tons of servers
are always bouncing they're production boxes becuase of updates? I really
dont want to bounce all of mine and I dont have that many. Are there only
certain types of critical updates that require a reboot? Is there just a
service or two that I can restart to have the same effect? Any other
alternative?

TIA, ChrisR

More about : dont reboot

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:11:28 PM

It depends on the update and whether or not there is a file that needs to be
replaced that is in use and, thus, locked.

"ChrisR" <noemail@bla.com> wrote in message
>I just did 23 critical updates on a test server. It asks me if I want to
>reboot when Im done. It also says that no other critical updates are
>available. If I dont reboot it, are the newly installed updates not in
>effect? I ask because I cant imagine that businesses with tons of servers
>are always bouncing they're production boxes becuase of updates? I really
>dont want to bounce all of mine and I dont have that many. Are there only
>certain types of critical updates that require a reboot? Is there just a
>service or two that I can restart to have the same effect? Any other
>alternative?
>

> TIA, ChrisR

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:51:04 PM

ChrisR wrote:

>I just did 23 critical updates on a test server. It asks me if I want to
>reboot when Im done. It also says that no other critical updates are
>available. If I dont reboot it, are the newly installed updates not in
>effect? I ask because I cant imagine that businesses with tons of servers
>are always bouncing they're production boxes becuase of updates? I really
>dont want to bounce all of mine and I dont have that many. Are there only
>certain types of critical updates that require a reboot? Is there just a
>service or two that I can restart to have the same effect? Any other
>alternative?

Any that say you must reboot before the changes will take effect, I
presume you must reboot before the changes will take effect. This isn't
linux, after all.

--
Philosophy: That attempt to explain why so much about life makes us cuss.
!