Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Service Pack 1 Causing Slow Speeds?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
June 27, 2011 4:23:07 PM

I am currently running Windows 7 64 bit on a new Dell Precision machine. I bought this machine with the sole purpose of running SolidWorks. The machine has some serious hardware in it and I know it can handle SolidWorks, but it seems to run slow. Boot up times on the machine are quite long, and occasionally it will just freeze on bootup or ask me to log in multiple times. Things seemed to be slowly getting faster until a few days ago when i installed service pack 1. Since then the speed has been terribly slow. Just to provide more information, most of the files I use in my models are stored on our server locally. I have a 1 Gigabit connection from the computer to our server, but when I access files on the server it takes forever. Every time i want to open a new part or do some interaction between the server it goes terrible slow. Once i have the part opened the computer seems to run fine. We just installed new infrastructure so i know all the wires are good. Like I said, the speeds were slow, but getting better, but as soon as i installed service pack 1 the slow speeds have become unbearable. Anyone have any thoughts? Is this a network problem or a computer problem? It seems weird that service pack 1 would cause it to become so slow. The server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit. Thanks for your help.

Best solution

a c 229 $ Windows 7
June 27, 2011 5:14:23 PM

Although I'm not sure how to fix your problem, I can say we have several computers running Win7 Ultimate x64 with gigabit network cards and we're having no throughput problems. I'd suggest trying new lan drivers, check your network infrastructure (reset switches and routers), or perhaps increasing the amount of ram in the system. Most or our win 7 computers have a minimum 8 gig of ram installed.

I'm editing to mention that these computer are all running with SP1 installed and all current security patches.
July 8, 2011 5:20:30 PM

Best answer selected by twlawrence.
Score
a c 411 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2011 3:23:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!