No login dialog after Running VNC

This is a long one.
I have a system running Windows 2000 pro and using one of RealVNC 4 or
Radmin. The system boots normally with the monitor, keyboard, mouse connected
and VNC starting as a service. VNC works, I can connect to the system do
what I need to, log out and discconect. I can go back to the system and use
it normaly using the connected monitor, kb, mouse with no problem. If I
disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Boot the system, connect with
VNC, the system connects and functions as expected. But if i go back and
reconnect the monitor, kb, and mouse and reboot I get no display. It looks as
though It's booting normally. I get the bios post, Windows boots, the windows
spash screen appears and when I'd expect to see it change to the windows
logon dialog it goes blank and the video signal drops. If I boot in safe
mode and uninstall the display addapter and rediscover/install it again and
reboot I get the logon screen . I've searched the groups and Knoledge base
with no useful results.
Any suggestions would be appretiated.
Dan D.

My 1st question would be: Why not use Remote Desktop and an RDP client
instead of VNC?

If you're committed to VNC, I'd recommend TightVNC 5.

"j9" wrote:

> My 1st question would be: Why not use Remote Desktop and an RDP client
> instead of VNC?
>
> If you're committed to VNC, I'd recommend TightVNC 5.
>
> "Dan D." <Dan D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is a long one.
> > I have a system running Windows 2000 pro and using one of RealVNC 4 or
> > Radmin. The system boots normally with the monitor, keyboard, mouse
> > connected
> > and VNC starting as a service. VNC works, I can connect to the system do
> > what I need to, log out and discconect. I can go back to the system and
> > use
> > it normaly using the connected monitor, kb, mouse with no problem. If I
> > disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Boot the system, connect with
> > VNC, the system connects and functions as expected. But if i go back and
> > reconnect the monitor, kb, and mouse and reboot I get no display. It looks
> > as
> > though It's booting normally. I get the bios post, Windows boots, the
> > windows
> > spash screen appears and when I'd expect to see it change to the windows
> > logon dialog it goes blank and the video signal drops. If I boot in safe
> > mode and uninstall the display addapter and rediscover/install it again
> > and
> > reboot I get the logon screen . I've searched the groups and Knoledge base
> > with no useful results.
> > Any suggestions would be appretiated.
> > Dan D.
>

> we are not commited to VNC. Just on a very low budget. We are using Windows 2000 Pro does remote desktop work on that? If it does then we would use that.
Tks,
Dan

Remote dekstop does work in Pro (there is a check box in the remote tab of
the system control panel).

But, back to the original question... VNC only shows what is on the console
screen. If the console is logged in, then so is VNC. If the console is
logged out, then VNC will see the ctrl-alt-del screen.

> "j9" wrote:
>
>> My 1st question would be: Why not use Remote Desktop and an RDP client
>> instead of VNC?
>>
>> If you're committed to VNC, I'd recommend TightVNC 5.
>>
>> "Dan D." <Dan D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is a long one.
>> > I have a system running Windows 2000 pro and using one of RealVNC 4 or
>> > Radmin. The system boots normally with the monitor, keyboard, mouse
>> > connected
>> > and VNC starting as a service. VNC works, I can connect to the system
>> > do
>> > what I need to, log out and discconect. I can go back to the system
>> > and
>> > use
>> > it normaly using the connected monitor, kb, mouse with no problem. If
>> > disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Boot the system, connect
>> > with
>> > VNC, the system connects and functions as expected. But if i go back
>> > and
>> > reconnect the monitor, kb, and mouse and reboot I get no display. It
>> > looks
>> > as
>> > though It's booting normally. I get the bios post, Windows boots, the
>> > windows
>> > spash screen appears and when I'd expect to see it change to the
>> > windows
>> > logon dialog it goes blank and the video signal drops. If I boot in
>> > safe
>> > mode and uninstall the display addapter and rediscover/install it again
>> > and
>> > reboot I get the logon screen . I've searched the groups and Knoledge
>> > base
>> > with no useful results.
>> > Any suggestions would be appretiated.
>> > Dan D.
>>

>> we are not commited to VNC. Just on a very low budget. We are using
>> Windows 2000 Pro does remote desktop work on that? If it does then we
>> would use that.
> Tks,
> Dan

Oh, shoot... just realized that the remote desktop capability is only on
XP....

"Dan D." <DanD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "j9" wrote:
>
>> My 1st question would be: Why not use Remote Desktop and an RDP client
>> instead of VNC?
>>
>> If you're committed to VNC, I'd recommend TightVNC 5.
>>
>> "Dan D." <Dan D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is a long one.
>> > I have a system running Windows 2000 pro and using one of RealVNC 4 or
>> > Radmin. The system boots normally with the monitor, keyboard, mouse
>> > connected
>> > and VNC starting as a service. VNC works, I can connect to the system
>> > do
>> > what I need to, log out and discconect. I can go back to the system
>> > and
>> > use
>> > it normaly using the connected monitor, kb, mouse with no problem. If
>> > disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Boot the system, connect
>> > with
>> > VNC, the system connects and functions as expected. But if i go back
>> > and
>> > reconnect the monitor, kb, and mouse and reboot I get no display. It
>> > looks
>> > as
>> > though It's booting normally. I get the bios post, Windows boots, the
>> > windows
>> > spash screen appears and when I'd expect to see it change to the
>> > windows
>> > logon dialog it goes blank and the video signal drops. If I boot in
>> > safe
>> > mode and uninstall the display addapter and rediscover/install it again
>> > and
>> > reboot I get the logon screen . I've searched the groups and Knoledge
>> > base
>> > with no useful results.
>> > Any suggestions would be appretiated.
>> > Dan D.
>>

>> we are not commited to VNC. Just on a very low budget. We are using
>> Windows 2000 Pro does remote desktop work on that? If it does then we
>> would use that.
> Tks,
> Dan

I Didn't think that W2k had RDP.

VNC works fine. It's when I go back to the system. Put the monitor, KB, and
mouse back on the box. It does not show the display when it switches to the
ctrl-Alt-Del screen it just goes blank.

Dan