Error STOP 0x00000078 on boot-up

Hi!

For a few days ago I suddenly got a BSOD on a WinNT4.0WS machine with the
error STOP 0x00000078 on boot-up with no text included, just a tiny memory
dump, and since that the machine has not anymore got up passing this point,
just always stuck there ...

This was happening when preparing the upgrade of it to Win2000Pro, on
another machine, on which it worked well for few days, but now I can't
continue with the upgrade before getting the WinNT4.0 up again, so,if the is
any hints/advice for this, please tell me, they are much appreciated.

So far I have been trying following repair trials:
- copying the disk to another on that particular machine, to cure possible
NTFS recognition faults, anyway the POST, MBR and PBS and the disk and NTFS
all have been working/recognized OK all the time
- trying to repair the installation with another language installation CD
(the original is lost already since years), but not getting too far along the
procedure
- trying a repair-install with same language Win2000Pro installation CD,
but no dice
- copying the system32/repair folder to config folder on this disk from a
very recent back-up, but it didn't help either
- also copying atapi, class2, disk, hal, ntoskernel, NTFS, SCSI etc. sys
files from the back-up disk with no affect
- what else, do not remember anymore ...

Anyway, on the net I did found some advice regarding a known WinNT4.0 issue,
the NonPagedPoolSize key and it's value definition e.g. to a default 0, but
how to get the corrective value into the registry when the boot-up stops on
so early phase?
I slightly doubt this cure, as from the back-up copies this should already be
corrected there ...

So, there is still something else regulating on this arena, but what is it ...
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Best regards,

Pete V.

Hi!

Sorry, this STOP error seemed to be just "natural" and no error at all ...
caused by the /break switch on boot.ini giving the first chance for a stop at
boot-up ...

Best regards,

Pete V.

"PeteV" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> For a few days ago I suddenly got a BSOD on a WinNT4.0WS machine with the
> error STOP 0x00000078 on boot-up with no text included, just a tiny memory
> dump, and since that the machine has not anymore got up passing this point,
> just always stuck there ...
>
> This was happening when preparing the upgrade of it to Win2000Pro, on
> another machine, on which it worked well for few days, but now I can't
> continue with the upgrade before getting the WinNT4.0 up again, so,if the is
> any hints/advice for this, please tell me, they are much appreciated.
>
> So far I have been trying following repair trials:
> - copying the disk to another on that particular machine, to cure possible
> NTFS recognition faults, anyway the POST, MBR and PBS and the disk and NTFS
> all have been working/recognized OK all the time
> - trying to repair the installation with another language installation CD
> (the original is lost already since years), but not getting too far along the
> procedure
> - trying a repair-install with same language Win2000Pro installation CD,
> but no dice
> - copying the system32/repair folder to config folder on this disk from a
> very recent back-up, but it didn't help either
> - also copying atapi, class2, disk, hal, ntoskernel, NTFS, SCSI etc. sys
> files from the back-up disk with no affect
> - what else, do not remember anymore ...
>
> Anyway, on the net I did found some advice regarding a known WinNT4.0 issue,
> the NonPagedPoolSize key and it's value definition e.g. to a default 0, but
> how to get the corrective value into the registry when the boot-up stops on
> so early phase?
> I slightly doubt this cure, as from the back-up copies this should already be
> corrected there ...
>

> So, there is still something else regulating on this arena, but what is it ...
> Thanks in advance for any replies.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Pete V.

TRENDING THREADS