Set XP to use only first core and not second?

johnbilicki

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I can't set the affinity for XP's processes (system, network, etc), just my own. I'd like to have XP only use the first core and have my processes use the second.

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
You should be fine with windows running on either core, it's not like it matters which core they run on anyway. 99% of the time the cores eat up 0.001% of all processing time, which I'm pretty sure you'll never miss.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I can't set the affinity for XP's processes (system, network, etc), just my own. I'd like to have XP only use the first core and have my processes use the second.

It's possible. You can start a program, go to Task Manager and right click the process. It'll let you set affinity. I believe it remembers but I heard there is some SW that does it for each program.

Google set affinity software

johnbilicki

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Both cores in the graph showed the exact same pattern of usage and there were a few instances that now seem to be a bit smoother since my programs are using the second core.

There are some programs that I only intentionally run on occasion but would prefer to have them use the first core, thus why my programs are set to the second core.

I do not want Windows using the second core. There's a lot of things I'm trying out and I wish to see how smooth I can get my system to run.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
That's a good question.

NT 4 would spread its processes over as many cores as it knew about, as will server 2000, 2003, etc. But they were all built for server tasks, and in the case of NT, the desktop was just an afterthought. I know that win xp 64 will utilize multiple cpu's, and use them pretty effeciently, but at home I've never yet used a multi-core CPU. And I use XP pro 32...

So to repeat, a good question.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
dude, you do realize that it doesnt matter what core your programs run on. XP is designed so that no matter what your doing, it dynamicly loads the threads between the two cores. setting programs to run on one core vs another core does nothing, sorry.