Problem in boot.ini

Dear All
I have problem in my boot.ini.this is saved wrong becose of this system is
not booting.Is there any solutions to edit my boot.ini to give right
information about my partitions and all.os is win 2000. system is not booting.
pls send me any solutions I will be very thankfull to all.
thanx
4 answers Last reply
More about problem boot

    satendar wrote:
    > Dear All
    > I have problem in my boot.ini.this is saved wrong becose of this system is
    > not booting.Is there any solutions to edit my boot.ini to give right
    > information about my partitions and all.os is win 2000. system is not booting.
    > pls send me any solutions I will be very thankfull to all.
    > thanx

    Format a floppy on a friend's Win2K machine. (NB: You MUST use the same
    OS as you intend to boot.)

    Copy his boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr to the floppy. Also, add a
    simple, stand-alone text editor (Notepad, or edit, ...) to the disk for
    quick use.

    Edit boot.ini on the floppy to get it right for your system.

    Boot with the floppy in A:. Hopefully the floppy disk gets tried
    before the hard disk or CD-ROM.

    Fine tune your changes in the floppy copy of boot.ini . When you are
    happy, copy boot.ini from the floppy to your hard disk.

    YOu'll also want to grab a copy of DOS attrib...

    What is your hard drive setup? If you're an all-IDE system with 2k on the
    1st partition of the primary drive, then the entry you'll want is very
    similar to this:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows " /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="VGA Mode" /sos

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301645

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311578

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000
    the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows
    2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the
    floppy), and copy Windows 2000 versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini
    to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you
    wish to boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the
    operating system located on the first partition of the primary or first
    drive (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,1"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,2"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,1"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,2"

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "satendar" wrote:
    | Dear All
    | I have problem in my boot.ini.this is saved wrong becose of this system is
    | not booting.Is there any solutions to edit my boot.ini to give right
    | information about my partitions and all.os is win 2000. system is not
    booting.
    | pls send me any solutions I will be very thankfull to all.
    | thanx

Boot Microsoft Windows