Problem in boot.ini

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 15, 2005 5:31:03 AM

Dear All
I have problem in my boot.ini.this is saved wrong becose of this system is
not booting.Is there any solutions to edit my boot.ini to give right
information about my partitions and all.os is win 2000. system is not booting.
pls send me any solutions I will be very thankfull to all.
thanx

More about : problem boot ini

June 15, 2005 12:25:04 PM

satendar wrote:
> Dear All
> I have problem in my boot.ini.this is saved wrong becose of this system is
> not booting.Is there any solutions to edit my boot.ini to give right
> information about my partitions and all.os is win 2000. system is not booting.
> pls send me any solutions I will be very thankfull to all.
> thanx

Format a floppy on a friend's Win2K machine. (NB: You MUST use the same
OS as you intend to boot.)

Copy his boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr to the floppy. Also, add a
simple, stand-alone text editor (Notepad, or edit, ...) to the disk for
quick use.

Edit boot.ini on the floppy to get it right for your system.

Boot with the floppy in A:. Hopefully the floppy disk gets tried
before the hard disk or CD-ROM.

Fine tune your changes in the floppy copy of boot.ini . When you are
happy, copy boot.ini from the floppy to your hard disk.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:07:55 PM

YOu'll also want to grab a copy of DOS attrib...

What is your hard drive setup? If you're an all-IDE system with 2k on the
1st partition of the primary drive, then the entry you'll want is very
similar to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows " /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="VGA Mode" /sos

"Stubby" <William.Plummer-NOSPAM-@comcast.net> wrote in message
> satendar wrote:
>> Dear All
>> I have problem in my boot.ini.this is saved wrong becose of this system
>> is not booting.Is there any solutions to edit my boot.ini to give right
>> information about my partitions and all.os is win 2000. system is not
>> booting.
>> pls send me any solutions I will be very thankfull to all.
>> thanx
>
> Format a floppy on a friend's Win2K machine. (NB: You MUST use the same
> OS as you intend to boot.)
>
> Copy his boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr to the floppy. Also, add a
> simple, stand-alone text editor (Notepad, or edit, ...) to the disk for
> quick use.
>
> Edit boot.ini on the floppy to get it right for your system.
>
> Boot with the floppy in A:. Hopefully the floppy disk gets tried before
> the hard disk or CD-ROM.
>
> Fine tune your changes in the floppy copy of boot.ini . When you are
> happy, copy boot.ini from the floppy to your hard disk.
June 15, 2005 3:47:36 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301645

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311578

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:18:37 AM

Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000
the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows
2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the
floppy), and copy Windows 2000 versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini
to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you
wish to boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the
operating system located on the first partition of the primary or first
drive (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,2"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,2"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]