Sound input problem

I seem to have a serious problem with the sound on My Dell Latitude C840.
The sopund card seems to work, I can play CDs and listen to music from the
net; I can also record from a CD or an external device - but I cannot get
the microphone input to work. I have reinstralled the sound driver (Crystal
WDM Audio) from the system CD, but that did not help.

Is there something wrong with the sound card, or do I need another driver?
5 answers Last reply
More about sound input problem

    Check and see if your microphone is set to mute. If so unmute it and reduce
    the sound of the squeal.

    "Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message
    > I seem to have a serious problem with the sound on My Dell Latitude C840.
    > The sopund card seems to work, I can play CDs and listen to music from the
    > net; I can also record from a CD or an external device - but I cannot get
    > the microphone input to work. I have reinstralled the sound driver
    (Crystal
    > WDM Audio) from the system CD, but that did not help.
    >
    > Is there something wrong with the sound card, or do I need another driver?

    No - the microphone is not set to mute. What happens is that something goes
    in, but very weak, and with lots of noise. (The internal microphone in the
    laptop gives a somewhat better result than an external mic.)

    "meanornerywench" <mean@ornery.wench> skrev i meddelandet
    > Check and see if your microphone is set to mute. If so unmute it and
    reduce
    > the sound of the squeal.
    >
    > "Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message
    > > I seem to have a serious problem with the sound on My Dell Latitude
    C840.
    > > The sopund card seems to work, I can play CDs and listen to music from
    the
    > > net; I can also record from a CD or an external device - but I cannot
    get
    > > the microphone input to work. I have reinstralled the sound driver
    > (Crystal
    > > WDM Audio) from the system CD, but that did not help.
    > >
    > > Is there something wrong with the sound card, or do I need another
    driver?

    Based on that description of symptoms, could be bad microphone, wrong
    type of microphone or a bad connection at the jack or broken microphone
    wire.

    Hans Näslund wrote:

    > No - the microphone is not set to mute. What happens is that something goes
    > in, but very weak, and with lots of noise. (The internal microphone in the
    > laptop gives a somewhat better result than an external mic.)
    >
    > "meanornerywench" <mean@ornery.wench> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Check and see if your microphone is set to mute. If so unmute it and
    >
    > reduce
    >
    >>the sound of the squeal.
    >>
    >>"Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I seem to have a serious problem with the sound on My Dell Latitude
    >
    > C840.
    >
    >>>The sopund card seems to work, I can play CDs and listen to music from
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>net; I can also record from a CD or an external device - but I cannot
    >
    > get
    >
    >>>the microphone input to work. I have reinstralled the sound driver
    >>
    >>(Crystal
    >>
    >>>WDM Audio) from the system CD, but that did not help.
    >>>
    >>>Is there something wrong with the sound card, or do I need another
    >
    > driver?

    No. I don't think so - also the internal microphone gives a sompletely
    unacceptable result, with too much noice.

    "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Based on that description of symptoms, could be bad microphone, wrong
    > type of microphone or a bad connection at the jack or broken microphone
    > wire.
    >
    > Hans Näslund wrote:
    >
    > > No - the microphone is not set to mute. What happens is that something
    goes
    > > in, but very weak, and with lots of noise. (The internal microphone in
    the
    > > laptop gives a somewhat better result than an external mic.)
    > >
    > > "meanornerywench" <mean@ornery.wench> skrev i meddelandet
    > >
    > >>Check and see if your microphone is set to mute. If so unmute it and
    > >
    > > reduce
    > >
    > >>the sound of the squeal.
    > >>
    > >>"Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message

    > > C840.

    > > the

    > > get

    > >>(Crystal

    > > driver?

    Then I suppose it's down to the card input having given up the ghost.

    Hans Näslund wrote:

    > No. I don't think so - also the internal microphone gives a sompletely
    > unacceptable result, with too much noice.
    >
    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Based on that description of symptoms, could be bad microphone, wrong
    >>type of microphone or a bad connection at the jack or broken microphone
    >>wire.
    >>
    >>Hans Näslund wrote:
    >>

    >>>No - the microphone is not set to mute. What happens is that something
    >
    > goes
    >
    >>>in, but very weak, and with lots of noise. (The internal microphone in
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>laptop gives a somewhat better result than an external mic.)
    >>>
    >>>"meanornerywench" <mean@ornery.wench> skrev i meddelandet

    >>>reduce

    >>>C840.

    >>>the