Sound input problem

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 15, 2005 1:06:02 PM

I seem to have a serious problem with the sound on My Dell Latitude C840.
The sopund card seems to work, I can play CDs and listen to music from the
net; I can also record from a CD or an external device - but I cannot get
the microphone input to work. I have reinstralled the sound driver (Crystal
WDM Audio) from the system CD, but that did not help.

Is there something wrong with the sound card, or do I need another driver?

More about : sound input problem

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:06:03 PM

Check and see if your microphone is set to mute. If so unmute it and reduce
the sound of the squeal.

"Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message
> I seem to have a serious problem with the sound on My Dell Latitude C840.
> The sopund card seems to work, I can play CDs and listen to music from the
> net; I can also record from a CD or an external device - but I cannot get
> the microphone input to work. I have reinstralled the sound driver
(Crystal
> WDM Audio) from the system CD, but that did not help.
>
> Is there something wrong with the sound card, or do I need another driver?

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:26:22 PM

No - the microphone is not set to mute. What happens is that something goes
in, but very weak, and with lots of noise. (The internal microphone in the
laptop gives a somewhat better result than an external mic.)

"meanornerywench" <mean@ornery.wench> skrev i meddelandet
> Check and see if your microphone is set to mute. If so unmute it and
reduce
> the sound of the squeal.
>
> "Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message
> > I seem to have a serious problem with the sound on My Dell Latitude
C840.
> > The sopund card seems to work, I can play CDs and listen to music from
the
> > net; I can also record from a CD or an external device - but I cannot
get
> > the microphone input to work. I have reinstralled the sound driver
> (Crystal
> > WDM Audio) from the system CD, but that did not help.
> >
> > Is there something wrong with the sound card, or do I need another
driver?

June 15, 2005 6:26:23 PM

Based on that description of symptoms, could be bad microphone, wrong
type of microphone or a bad connection at the jack or broken microphone
wire.

Hans Näslund wrote:

> No - the microphone is not set to mute. What happens is that something goes
> in, but very weak, and with lots of noise. (The internal microphone in the
> laptop gives a somewhat better result than an external mic.)
>
> "meanornerywench" <mean@ornery.wench> skrev i meddelandet
>
>>Check and see if your microphone is set to mute. If so unmute it and
>
> reduce
>
>>the sound of the squeal.
>>
>>"Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message
>>
>>>I seem to have a serious problem with the sound on My Dell Latitude
>
> C840.
>
>>>The sopund card seems to work, I can play CDs and listen to music from
>
> the
>
>>>net; I can also record from a CD or an external device - but I cannot
>
> get
>
>>>the microphone input to work. I have reinstralled the sound driver
>>
>>(Crystal
>>
>>>WDM Audio) from the system CD, but that did not help.
>>>
>>>Is there something wrong with the sound card, or do I need another
>
> driver?

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:04:58 PM

No. I don't think so - also the internal microphone gives a sompletely
unacceptable result, with too much noice.

"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:o EBFCRccFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Based on that description of symptoms, could be bad microphone, wrong
> type of microphone or a bad connection at the jack or broken microphone
> wire.
>
> Hans Näslund wrote:
>
> > No - the microphone is not set to mute. What happens is that something
goes
> > in, but very weak, and with lots of noise. (The internal microphone in
the
> > laptop gives a somewhat better result than an external mic.)
> >
> > "meanornerywench" <mean@ornery.wench> skrev i meddelandet
> >
> >>Check and see if your microphone is set to mute. If so unmute it and
> >
> > reduce
> >
> >>the sound of the squeal.
> >>
> >>"Hans Näslund" <hans.naslund@spray.se> wrote in message

> > C840.

> > the

> > get

> >>(Crystal

> > driver?

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:04:59 PM

Then I suppose it's down to the card input having given up the ghost.

!