I want to download....

It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install" button,
the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a regular CD
or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy disks.
Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go read.
13 answers Last reply
More about download

    if you're talking about this link:

    http://www.e-sword.net/files/setup752.exe

    it's asking what you want to do with the install executable. no way any
    floppy is involved, this is 16 MB. You can either click "run" and install it
    directly, or select save and tell your system where you want to save the
    ..exe file (out on the desktop is usually the best place). Then you would
    double click on it there and away you go.

    hope this helps.

    steve

    "jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    > I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install" button,
    > the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a regular
    > CD
    > or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    > computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    > disks.
    > Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    > read.

    Salut/Hi steve eddy,

    le/on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:55:21 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

    >"jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    >> I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install" button,
    >> the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a regular
    >> CD
    >> or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    >> computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    >> disks.
    >> Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    >> read.

    If you're downloading, then you should save it before installing, as
    everyone else has said. My suggestion is a general one. Make a folder on
    (your C drive or another( one of your hard disks called downloads. I have it
    on a drive which I only back up once a month or so. Then you always save
    your files there. That way you always know where your installation files are
    to be found, and if and when you download updated programs you can easily
    find the older version of the install file to delete.

    In the bad/good old days when we still talked about "directories" and
    "subdirectories" instead of folders, we were encouraged to create some kind
    of intelligent hard disk structure, so you knew what was where and what to
    back up. Although Win XP can keep tracks of things better, it is still worth
    while, I'd suggest, to have some idea of what's where.

    When I first set up my directory structure, one of the first things I did
    was to create a folder called My Programs (before Windows could do it for
    me). I put it on a fast large drive apart from Windows itself, so that
    (again) if things went catastrophically wrong, I stood a better chance of
    not losing applications if I had to reinstall windows. Some ill behaved
    programs don't give me the chance of saying where I want to install them,
    installing themselves into C:\My Programs\companyname\applicationname. If I
    do get the opportunity to change I alter the C:\ to E:\ and that's it. But
    that means I know where my applications are, even if Windows has a silly
    minute and loses them.

    Assuming you're using Internet Explorer, it usually remembers the last
    folder you downloaded into, so just create (using Windows Explorer) your
    chosen folder, and tell IE where to put the file. Once you've done that,
    you're home and dry, because to install the program, you can either navigate
    there in Explorer and click on the filename, or using "Start/Run" run it.

    A decent application would let your create filters to determine in advance
    where to put downloaded files depending upon their suffixes. Thus in
    Terminate (an early 90s Dos based comms program), you could set it up in
    advance to download *.jpg into C:\mydocs\mypics, *.txt into c;\mydocs *.exe
    into c:\download\apps and *.zip into c:\download\zips and everything else
    into c:\download\random.

    Of course, with windows based programs we've regressed a long way and such
    functionality is no longer usual. A shame.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    Hi,

    1) When downloading, one should elect "save", and not "install". Once you
    have the file saved locally, you can double click it to initiate the
    installation. This is a good habit to get into.

    2) When you are prompted to "save", click the dropdown to change to a hard
    drive location of your choice.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    > I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install" button,
    > the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a regular
    > CD
    > or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    > computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    > disks.
    > Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    > read.

    Rick, I notice that there are a few applications (many of Microsoft's own,
    in fact) that tell you to run the executable in place. I presume that one
    reason for saving first would be to afford the ability to scan for viruses?

    > Hi,
    >
    > 1) When downloading, one should elect "save", and not "install". Once you
    > have the file saved locally, you can double click it to initiate the
    > installation. This is a good habit to get into.
    >
    > 2) When you are prompted to "save", click the dropdown to change to a hard
    > drive location of your choice.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    >> I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install"
    >> button,
    >> the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a regular
    >> CD
    >> or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    >> computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    >> disks.
    >> Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    >> read.

    There is another reason. I use the Save option, run the installer, and then
    save the download to a folder on an external drive. If I have to reformat
    my C: drive, I have the installers I used before and can recover my
    preferred mix of programs easily.

    "steve eddy" <seddy@nospam.socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Rick, I notice that there are a few applications (many of Microsoft's own,
    > in fact) that tell you to run the executable in place. I presume that one
    > reason for saving first would be to afford the ability to scan for
    > viruses?

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> 1) When downloading, one should elect "save", and not "install". Once you
    >> have the file saved locally, you can double click it to initiate the
    >> installation. This is a good habit to get into.
    >>
    >> 2) When you are prompted to "save", click the dropdown to change to a
    >> hard drive location of your choice.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    >>> I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install"
    >>> button,
    >>> the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a
    >>> regular CD
    >>> or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    >>> computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    >>> disks.
    >>> Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    >>> read.

    Hi Steve,

    > I presume that one reason for saving first would be to afford the ability
    > to scan for viruses?

    Absolutely. And, regardless of source, all files download from a 'net source
    should be treated this way.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "steve eddy" <seddy@nospam.socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Rick, I notice that there are a few applications (many of Microsoft's own,
    > in fact) that tell you to run the executable in place. I presume that one
    > reason for saving first would be to afford the ability to scan for
    > viruses?

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> 1) When downloading, one should elect "save", and not "install". Once you
    >> have the file saved locally, you can double click it to initiate the
    >> installation. This is a good habit to get into.
    >>
    >> 2) When you are prompted to "save", click the dropdown to change to a
    >> hard drive location of your choice.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    >>> I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install"
    >>> button,
    >>> the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a
    >>> regular CD
    >>> or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    >>> computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    >>> disks.
    >>> Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    >>> read.

    good advice!

    "steve eddy" wrote:

    > if you're talking about this link:
    >
    > http://www.e-sword.net/files/setup752.exe
    >
    > it's asking what you want to do with the install executable. no way any
    > floppy is involved, this is 16 MB. You can either click "run" and install it
    > directly, or select save and tell your system where you want to save the
    > ..exe file (out on the desktop is usually the best place). Then you would
    > double click on it there and away you go.
    >
    > hope this helps.
    >
    > steve
    >

    > "jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    > > I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install" button,
    > > the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a regular
    > > CD
    > > or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    > > computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    > > disks.
    > > Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    > > read.
    >

    > Thanks Steve. You told me exactly what I wanted to know. When I said that *it* only gave me the option of *save* (apparently onto a disk which I didn't have) it was through the Firefox browser. I tried it straight from AOL and it installed it onto my computer. I did scan it first.

    Now, would there be any other reason to put the program (is this what they
    call software?) onto a CD other than to have it as a back up?

    > "steve eddy" wrote:
    >
    >> if you're talking about this link:
    >>
    >> http://www.e-sword.net/files/setup752.exe
    >>
    >> it's asking what you want to do with the install executable. no way any
    >> floppy is involved, this is 16 MB. You can either click "run" and install
    >> it
    >> directly, or select save and tell your system where you want to save the
    >> ..exe file (out on the desktop is usually the best place). Then you would
    >> double click on it there and away you go.
    >>
    >> hope this helps.
    >>
    >> steve
    >>

    >> "jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    >> > I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install"
    >> > button,
    >> > the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a
    >> > regular
    >> > CD
    >> > or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    >> > computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    >> > disks.
    >> > Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    >> > read.
    >>

    >> Thanks Steve. You told me exactly what I wanted to know. When I said
    >> that *it* only gave me the option of *save* (apparently onto a disk
    >> which I didn't have) it was through the Firefox browser. I tried it
    >> straight from AOL and it installed it onto my computer. I did scan it
    >> first.
    >
    > Now, would there be any other reason to put the program (is this what they
    > call software?) onto a CD other than to have it as a back up?

    Not that I can think of........but backup is good. You might need to
    reinstall it someday. Or install it on another computer. CD-RW is good for
    backup.

    In news:ga17v0h741ahogg8tm73mhsi2q6cn8pu8g@4ax.com,
    Ian Hoare <ianhoare@angelfire.com> typed:

    > When I first set up my directory structure, one of the first
    > things I
    > did was to create a folder called My Programs (before Windows
    > could
    > do it for me). I put it on a fast large drive apart from
    > Windows
    > itself, so that (again) if things went catastrophically wrong,
    > stood a better chance of not losing applications if I had to
    > reinstall windows.

    Sorry, Ian, but it doesn't work that way. If you reinstall
    Windows, you'll also have to reinstall all your applications from
    the original media. There may be a very occasional tiny program
    for which this isn't true, but there are so few as hardly to
    matter.

    That's because all applications (except for that tiny few) have
    *many* references to them all over the windows folder, mostly in
    the registry, but also elsewhere. If you reinstall Windows, those
    references will be lost and the applications can't work without
    them. Reinstallation of applications always goes hand-in-hand
    with reinstallation of Windows, and there's no way around that.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Salut/Hi Ken Blake,

    le/on Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:19:22 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

    >In news:ga17v0h741ahogg8tm73mhsi2q6cn8pu8g@4ax.com,
    >Ian Hoare <ianhoare@angelfire.com> typed:
    >Sorry, Ian, but it doesn't work that way. If you reinstall
    >Windows, you'll also have to reinstall all your applications from
    >the original media. There may be a very occasional tiny program
    >for which this isn't true, but there are so few as hardly to
    >matter.

    I thought you could do a repair re-installation which wouldn't stamp all
    over your existing structure. My idea was that in separating applications
    into a place apart, the unlikely glitch would be less likely to cause probs.

    Also, of course, some applications store info in .ini files and setup
    preferences as subdirectories. I knowe that if you do a complete new
    installation, most programs have to introduce themselves to the Registry.
    That said, Forte Agent (which I use for reading NGs) is a rare bird that
    doesn't write to the registry. I have to admit to a preference to programs
    which create human readable (and editable) .ini files. I've no objection to
    them signing into the registry, but if you were to look at Eudora's .ini
    file, you would see what I mean.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    In news:a2d8v0t0n1hsa0tf06echd4g8ffgg7h8jg@4ax.com,
    Ian Hoare <ianhoare@angelfire.com> typed:

    > Salut/Hi Ken Blake,
    >
    > le/on Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:19:22 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
    >
    >>In news:ga17v0h741ahogg8tm73mhsi2q6cn8pu8g@4ax.com,
    >>Ian Hoare <ianhoare@angelfire.com> typed:

    >>Sorry, Ian, but it doesn't work that way. If you reinstall
    >>Windows, you'll also have to reinstall all your applications
    >>from
    >>the original media. There may be a very occasional tiny program
    >>for which this isn't true, but there are so few as hardly to
    >>matter.
    >
    > I thought you could do a repair re-installation which wouldn't
    > stamp
    > all over your existing structure.

    Yes, that's true. I thought you were talking about a clean
    reinstallation.

    If you do a repair installation, having your programs on another
    partition won't hurt you, but it won't help you either.

    > My idea was that in separating
    > applications into a place apart, the unlikely glitch would be
    > less
    > likely to cause probs.

    I doubt that very much. I don't see any reason why it's likely to
    matter.

    > Also, of course, some applications store info in .ini files and
    > setup
    > preferences as subdirectories. I knowe that if you do a
    > complete new
    > installation, most programs have to introduce themselves to the
    > Registry. That said, Forte Agent (which I use for reading NGs)
    > is a
    > rare bird that doesn't write to the registry. I have to admit
    > to a
    > preference to programs which create human readable (and
    > editable)
    > .ini files. I've no objection to them signing into the
    > registry, but
    > if you were to look at Eudora's .ini file, you would see what I
    > mean.

    Yes, as I said "There may be a very occasional tiny program for
    which this isn't true, but there are so few as hardly to matter."
    Almost all programs write to the registry; if you reinstall
    cleanly you lose the registry, and if you lose the registry you
    therefore lose almost all programs.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    If you're talking about the dialogue that comes up prompting for downloads,
    click the "Save" button, not the "install" button. Then download the file,
    say to your desktop, then when completed, doubleclick the icon and the
    install program should install the application.

    I expect what you're trying to do by clicking "install" is telling it to run
    from its currently location (the web server) without downloading it to your
    machine first, and then it is asking "where do you want to install" i.e. it
    needs to be some folder on your hard disk

    Floppy disk or CD have nothing to do with this situation.

    "jatfla" <jatfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It doesn't get anymore basic than this.....
    > I want to download a Bible from E-Sword. When I hit the "install" button,
    > the only option I have is to install it on a disk. Now is this a regular
    > CD
    > or is this a floppy disk? I don't know nothing about floppy disks! My
    > computer is a Dell 3000, brand new and I didn't think it used floppy
    > disks.
    > Anything you have to offer would be helpful; even if it's a place to go
    > read.

Download Floppy Disk Windows XP