Modular or not? More resistance or not?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Alright I have a question about modular power supplies. I've heard that modular power supplies introduce more ohms of resistance therefore reducing the effectiveness of the power throughout the system.

Is the resistance noticeable or is it nothing to worry about? Ideally I would like to have a clean case using a modular power supply but a non modular one would be fine too.

I'm trying to decide between a TT Toughpower 700W modular and an OCZ GameXtreme

thanks in advance

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
dont worry about that shhtuff.

get you a corsair psu. they are great. :lol:
come with a 5 year warr.

my brother has one and the modular design is pretty cool.
compared to my antec tp2.0, wires every where 8O .

sailer

Splendid
I recently got a Thermaltake 700wt modulare and I love it. Not having all the extra cables running through the case cleaned it up a lot in looks, makes it easier to work on, and the temps even went down a bit. For the tiny bit of extra ohms involved, its not worth thinking about.

One thing that those who complain about the extra ohms caused by the plugs at the psu ignore is that there are plugs at the other end of the wires too, so its not like you're taking a solid wire and then cutting it and adding a splice. You're just adding one extra plug to a line that already has a plug. Besides, the TT 700wt has an efficiency rating of up to 85%, and that's about as good as any psu on the market, including the non-modular types.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I recently got a Thermaltake 700wt modulare and I love it. Not having all the extra cables running through the case cleaned it up a lot in looks, makes it easier to work on, and the temps even went down a bit. For the tiny bit of extra ohms involved, its not worth thinking about.

One thing that those who complain about the extra ohms caused by the plugs at the psu ignore is that there are plugs at the other end of the wires too, so its not like you're taking a solid wire and then cutting it and adding a splice. You're just adding one extra plug to a line that already has a plug. Besides, the TT 700wt has an efficiency rating of up to 85%, and that's about as good as any psu on the market, including the non-modular types.

yes. i agree those connects dont add any resistance.

i see it in the automotive field all the time.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks so much. I guess I'm gettin' a modular :eek:. Fry's has a 700W Modular at $159.99 but when I went there it was $189.99 I hope they'll honor their online price :?

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
Frys online prices are totally seperate from their store prices. Please don`t relate the two together. I did awhile back and felt silly. :oops:

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Ok. I'll just order from their site $170 including shipping is still better than $190 not including shipping (from newegg).

BTW this is actually a 750W I was thinking about instead of the 700W as I posted.

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I recently bought the Thermal Take 850w modular Power Supply at Frys (In Store) for $199 . Haven`t put my new system together yet with that PSU because i still need the Corsair Dominator memory that is always out of stock. :( But anyway good luck with whichever PSU you get. :)