CPU Upgrade

geoffry

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Before I was leaning towards getting a new C2D system, however; with the 45 nm manufacturing process around the bend I'm thinking about upgrading my current system a bit and holding off for roughly a year, maybe a bit more and getting a nice quad core system and a mature DX 10 card.

I got this system before I knew too much about computers and the pc builder just suggested a mobo and I said sure...

*Edit* Forgot to mention, I'm currently running an Athlon 64 3500+.

Its a Winfast NF4UK8AA mobo, 939 socket. What I'm thinking of doing is boosting the ram to 2.5 gigs (I have an odd memory setup already at 1.5 gigs), putting in a SATA HDD and heres where I'm having the trouble, what I'm looking at is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, however; I'm not too sure whether the mobo will support it...I read even though it is a 939 socket CPU, not all 939 mobo's will support it, depending how old they are.

Anyone able to help? I've googled, checked the mobo manual (it says support for Socket-939 AMD K-8 Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64, nothing about the X2, which adds to my confusion- though I'm not sure they existed then) and can't find anything.

Also any other input would be appreciated.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Before I was leaning towards getting a new C2D system, however; with the 45 nm manufacturing process around the bend I'm thinking about upgrading my current system a bit and holding off for roughly a year, maybe a bit more and getting a nice quad core system and a mature DX 10 card.

I got this system before I knew too much about computers and the pc builder just suggested a mobo and I said sure...

Its a Winfast NF4UK8AA mobo, 939 socket. What I'm thinking of doing is boosting the ram to 2.5 gigs (I have an odd memory setup already at 1.5 gigs), putting in a SATA HDD and heres where I'm having the trouble, what I'm looking at is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, however; I'm not too sure whether the mobo will support it...I read even though it is a 939 socket CPU, not all 939 mobo's will support it, depending how old they are.

Anyone able to help? I've googled, checked the mobo manual (it says support for Socket-939 AMD K-8 Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64, nothing about the X2, which adds to my confusion- though I'm not sure they existed then) and can't find anything.

According to Foxconn's CPU Support List, it does support dual-core. :wink: GL :)

Scroll to the far right.
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-US/upload/Compatibility/200603210954407167NF4UK8AA-8EKRS.htm

geoffry

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006

According to Foxconn's CPU Support List, it does support dual-core. :wink: GL :)

Scroll to the far right.
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-US/upload/Compatibility/200603210954407167NF4UK8AA-8EKRS.htm

Thanks man, you're the best:)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If your board can run smoothly @ HTT 240 You'd better get an Opteron 170 and send it to 2.4-2.5GHz. It's cheaper than the 4600+ and will perform better than a 4800+.

geoffry

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Thanks for the helps guys.

Maybe I'll ask one more thing...

I can get a new PSU, much faster DVD burner, the new CPU and the extra gig of ram for $627 CAD.

A whole new C2D system would be roughly $1,112 (I'm keeping my current vid card for now). I would be getting the e6600 and OCing it to 3 ghz.

How much faster would this system be than the upgrade I proposed? Considering the faster CPU, DDR-2 instead off DDR and with this wacko cheap mobo I reckon OCing the x2 or opteron wouldn't work too well.

Reason is, my brother was gonna buy this but now he doesn't want it so I figured I'd try to squeeze some more time out of it and then get some 45nm CPU build in late 2007 or sometime 2008 (probably quad core unless the price is still around $1k plus or minus 200).

Thanks again guys.