Partitioned hard drive

I purchased a used Dell computer--they had taken off all of the programs, and
it was up to me to install the O/S and any of my own programs.

I installed Windows 98 which I already owned, and then I decided to upgrade
to Windows 2000, so I bought that program and upgraded the O/S.....

Now I'm trying to install Microsoft Office, and it's telling me I don't have
enough hard drive space. The computer should have at leas 9G hard drive but
going into My Computer, shows only about 1.5G.

I am not very experienced with computers, and through trying to solve the
problem, I came across a device manager that showed the hard drive to have
the 1.5G available and approx. 9G not in use.

Now I can't find that device manager thing again, and I don't know how to
merge the 2 so that my full 9G is available to me.

Any thoughts...or ideas...or help would be greatly appreciated...and
remember, I'm new at this, so hopefully the answer won't be too technical.

Ramon&Chris wrote:

> I purchased a used Dell computer--they had taken off all of the programs, and
> it was up to me to install the O/S and any of my own programs.
>
> I installed Windows 98 which I already owned, and then I decided to upgrade
> to Windows 2000, so I bought that program and upgraded the O/S.....
>
> Now I'm trying to install Microsoft Office, and it's telling me I don't have
> enough hard drive space. The computer should have at leas 9G hard drive but
> going into My Computer, shows only about 1.5G.
>
> I am not very experienced with computers, and through trying to solve the
> problem, I came across a device manager that showed the hard drive to have
> the 1.5G available and approx. 9G not in use.
>
> Now I can't find that device manager thing again, and I don't know how to
> merge the 2 so that my full 9G is available to me.
>
> Any thoughts...or ideas...or help would be greatly appreciated...and
> remember, I'm new at this, so hopefully the answer won't be too technical.

The straight-forward way to install Windows 2000 is to do a
clean install by booting from the Windows 2000 cdrom. If the
computer can see the entire 9 GB of the hard drive (i.e., that
the bios allows it), then let Windows 2000 setup configure the
entire 9 GB as a single partition. If logical partitions are
wanted as well, then configure Drive C with something less than
9 GB, e.g., 3 GB. After Windows 2000 has been installed, Disk
Management can be used to set up a 6 GB extended partition with,
for example, 2 logical drives (D and E) of 3 GB each. Whichever
way you want to do it...and, BTW, FAT32 or NTFS is not really an
important consideration (other than for security) when working
with 9 GB drives.

I disagree with the Fat32 / NTFS. I do beleive that NTFS is more stable of
a FAT system than 32.

if the Bios doesn't see the drives correctly you may want to try auto and
not user if it is set to user defined. If system still doesn't see the rest
of the drive (use fdisk.exe to see drive information on a FAT32/Win98
system) you will need a disk manager from the peps that make the HD. Maxtor
ship with all there drive and should be able to dl one from the Inet.