Sign in with
Your question

Newegg shipping. Looking for opinion regarding this issue.

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
April 6, 2010 6:40:25 PM

Hey guys and girls,

Im looking for your opinion regarding Neweggs free shipping.

Heres my issue. I am ordering a product that offers free shipping. Then I decided to add some smaller product to the order (cable).

The Larger order has free shipping, the cables do not.

I contacted newegg to see if i I can get the shipping waived on the cables since it's coming in the same package anyways. The request was declined.

I understand why they wouldn't want to waive the shipping. It takes them more time to actually get the wires and package it in the box. They need to make money for the "handling" aspect. I understand this. Even though the two items will be shipped in the same box, they still need to profit. It's business.

But wouldn't it be in neweggs best interest to approve of the shipping "waive"? Reason I say this is because I am not ordering the entire shipment now simply because of this small shipping fee of $2.33 for the cables. Sounds cheap of me I know. But I'm only human. Now I have to drive to frys to buy the stuff. (frys offers better pricing on cables. reason I wanted to buy from newegg instead is because I rather stay home and not drive to frys)

What do you all think? I personally like using newegg as my computer parts provider because they're close and their prices are competitive. I just wish their customer support people had more personal leeway to waive shipping when it is in their interest.
April 8, 2010 1:04:54 AM

I see your point; I like free shipping, too. I also want my reliable vendors to survive so I can buy more stuff from them. The shippers have raised their rates over the last 2 years (fuel prices, etc.), but it looks like most of the vendors have absorbed much those increases, but in today's economy they can no longer afford to do that.
--Just my thoughts
April 9, 2010 11:20:02 PM

They have a formula to figure out of the lager object will waive the shipping fee for the second smaller object. It has to do with newegg's shipping methods (giving sufficient space/packaging material etc). No details are released however as to exactly how it works.

In all honestly I wish they would give free shipping on items even when bundled with any smaller item. But at the same time you must realize that free shipping is a costly demeanor, whether having to deal with the source of the products or having to take on the cost themselves. Staying in business while satisfying the american consumer is tough :p 
Related resources
April 10, 2010 12:47:04 AM

AsAnAtheist said:
They have a formula to figure out of the lager object will waive the shipping fee for the second smaller object. It has to do with newegg's shipping methods (giving sufficient space/packaging material etc). No details are released however as to exactly how it works.

In all honestly I wish they would give free shipping on items even when bundled with any smaller item. But at the same time you must realize that free shipping is a costly demeanor, whether having to deal with the source of the products or having to take on the cost themselves. Staying in business while satisfying the american consumer is tough :p 

Yea I totally understand the shipping part. I used to work in E-Commerce and shipping is a very expensive thing to be giving away. Both shipping and handling. Handling is killer because those printed boxes they use aren't free and they have to pay people to package etc etc so I understand.

I'm just concerned about their customer service training though. I'm sure the customer service rep I was speaking to wasn't trying to be cheap. She probably wasn't trained sufficiently to handle the situation that came up. Personally if I were the manager there I would train them all to handle these "Free shipping requests" on a case by case basis. If it seems like a good idea to satisfy the customer and make the sale, do it. If it's not worth it, then don't.
April 10, 2010 3:30:38 AM

Newegg will often do everything they can to satisfy the customer. However, you have to realize that newegg has multiple shipping hubs across the US. Your cables may not be coming from the same hub.
!