Imaging one Win2k computer to another.

Task: I need to upgrade a users system to a newer system but due to certain
settings and drivers, I can't just re-install a new OS and start from scratch.

Problem: I image the computer fine. Re-image fine. Get BSOD on powerup
(expected). Boot from Win2k CD, repair...here is where it gets funky. After
the repair in the "Installing Devices" phase the blue bar gets about 1/4 of
the way through and then stops. I've left it for 6 hours and it won't move.
I have disabled EVERYTHING in the BIOS with the exception of the CD and the
keyboard. It still freezes. I've tried 3 different types of Dell systems,
still freezes. I've tried different images from another completely different
computer. Still freezes at the same point. I even ran sysprep and imaged
that did nothing. Still got BSOD.

Now if I understand this correctly by repairing the image, the HAL and
everything is installed for the current machine, right? Then it should plug
and pray the rest of the devices during this "Installing Devices" phase. If
I completely install a new OS it works fine. Only when using these images.
For the record I am using ghost 8 for the image. I don't think it is the
image because I can re-image the same computer just fine.

Hardware I am installing from a Dell Optilex g110 to a Dell Opti 170l. Both
have IDE drives. What am I doing wrong?

The HALs or the devices are too different for even ghost and a "repair"
install to work properly.

"Daniel G." <DanielG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Task: I need to upgrade a users system to a newer system but due to
> certain
> settings and drivers, I can't just re-install a new OS and start from
> scratch.
>
> Problem: I image the computer fine. Re-image fine. Get BSOD on powerup
> (expected). Boot from Win2k CD, repair...here is where it gets funky.
> After
> the repair in the "Installing Devices" phase the blue bar gets about 1/4
> of
> the way through and then stops. I've left it for 6 hours and it won't
> move.
> I have disabled EVERYTHING in the BIOS with the exception of the CD and
> the
> keyboard. It still freezes. I've tried 3 different types of Dell
> systems,
> still freezes. I've tried different images from another completely
> different
> computer. Still freezes at the same point. I even ran sysprep and imaged
> that did nothing. Still got BSOD.
>
> Now if I understand this correctly by repairing the image, the HAL and
> everything is installed for the current machine, right? Then it should
> plug
> and pray the rest of the devices during this "Installing Devices" phase.
> If
> I completely install a new OS it works fine. Only when using these
> images.
> For the record I am using ghost 8 for the image. I don't think it is the
> image because I can re-image the same computer just fine.
>
> Hardware I am installing from a Dell Optilex g110 to a Dell Opti 170l.
> Both
> have IDE drives. What am I doing wrong?

I do belive that you can use sysprep to blow away the HAL on an OS. Took me
2 months to get windows 2000 pro to go across different hardware. there are
a lot of switching and ini file reading that needs to be done. Not just
double clicking sysprep and crossing fingers.

"j9" <j9@1aprop.com> wrote in message
> The HALs or the devices are too different for even ghost and a "repair"
> install to work properly.
>
> "Daniel G." <DanielG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Task: I need to upgrade a users system to a newer system but due to
> > certain
> > settings and drivers, I can't just re-install a new OS and start from
> > scratch.
> >
> > Problem: I image the computer fine. Re-image fine. Get BSOD on
powerup
> > (expected). Boot from Win2k CD, repair...here is where it gets funky.
> > After
> > the repair in the "Installing Devices" phase the blue bar gets about 1/4
> > of
> > the way through and then stops. I've left it for 6 hours and it won't
> > move.
> > I have disabled EVERYTHING in the BIOS with the exception of the CD and
> > the
> > keyboard. It still freezes. I've tried 3 different types of Dell
> > systems,
> > still freezes. I've tried different images from another completely
> > different
> > computer. Still freezes at the same point. I even ran sysprep and
imaged
> > that did nothing. Still got BSOD.
> >
> > Now if I understand this correctly by repairing the image, the HAL and
> > everything is installed for the current machine, right? Then it should
> > plug
> > and pray the rest of the devices during this "Installing Devices" phase.
> > If
> > I completely install a new OS it works fine. Only when using these
> > images.
> > For the record I am using ghost 8 for the image. I don't think it is
the
> > image because I can re-image the same computer just fine.
> >
> > Hardware I am installing from a Dell Optilex g110 to a Dell Opti 170l.
> > Both
> > have IDE drives. What am I doing wrong?

djw

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

"Daniel G." wrote:

> Task: I need to upgrade a users system to a newer system but due to certain
> settings and drivers, I can't just re-install a new OS and start from scratch.
>
> Problem: I image the computer fine. Re-image fine. Get BSOD on powerup
> (expected). Boot from Win2k CD, repair...here is where it gets funky. After
> the repair in the "Installing Devices" phase the blue bar gets about 1/4 of
> the way through and then stops. I've left it for 6 hours and it won't move.
> I have disabled EVERYTHING in the BIOS with the exception of the CD and the
> keyboard. It still freezes. I've tried 3 different types of Dell systems,
> still freezes. I've tried different images from another completely different
> computer. Still freezes at the same point. I even ran sysprep and imaged
> that did nothing. Still got BSOD.
>
> Now if I understand this correctly by repairing the image, the HAL and
> everything is installed for the current machine, right? Then it should plug
> and pray the rest of the devices during this "Installing Devices" phase. If
> I completely install a new OS it works fine. Only when using these images.
> For the record I am using ghost 8 for the image. I don't think it is the
> image because I can re-image the same computer just fine.
>
> Hardware I am installing from a Dell Optilex g110 to a Dell Opti 170l. Both
> have IDE drives. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Daniel,

I've had this problem before and its a real pain.

The solution is remarkably simple though - or its worked for me....

Insert the O/S CD/DVD and run the upgrade on the users original PC. It will
reboot into the blue dos mode (f6 at this point to add any new raid /
harddisk drivers which will be on the NEW machine).

When the machine has finished the blue screen portion of the install it will
reboot to continue into the GUI. Interupt the machine at this point and take
the 'image'. Deploy the image to the new machine and it will pick up the GUI
install from where you left off. The system will then correctly detect the
new HAL and all other system settings.

It sounds odd but its the only solution I have ever found that works.

DJW

Thanks for the help guys (especially DJW). Though your suggestions didn't
work for me it did rattle the old noodle on how to ge around it. The problem
was a combination of the IDE drivers and the HAL.

Caution! This is not for the light hearted as making these changes could
render the host machine unusable. Do not try this unless you have a good
tested image.

I switched the IDE drivers to the generic MS ones and that took care of the
hang up problem but the computer still wouldn't boot. I had to change the
computer type (device manager / computer) to ACPI multi Processor (the new
computers have hyper threading) from Standard PC. Reboot, image. The host
PC will die a horrible painful death but the image comes out clean and works
with the new system.

-Daniel