[solved] I need help about a new motherboard for agp8x =\

lord_fabs

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
If you have gotten to the point of reading this, thanks in advance :)

Basically, i have an aging p4 3.2GHz prescott and one of the gainward 7800GS+ (the 7900gt) for agp8x. I'm not really sure if there any motherboards with agp8x and the cpu i want; but if there aren't can anyone llet me know of a good alternative (i'm thinking amd x2)? I'm mainly posting in case I've missed anything obvious (I'm famous for it) :p

Cpu I'd like: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU, 2.40 GHz, FSB 1066MHz, 4MB L2 Cache, Socket LGA775
http://www.pricepoint.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=61_63&products_id=3424

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Basically, i have an aging p4 3.2GHz prescott and one of the gainward 7800GS+ (the 7900gt) for agp8x. I'm not really sure if there any motherboards with agp8x and the cpu i want; but if there aren't can anyone llet me know of a good alternative (i'm thinking amd x2)? I'm mainly posting in case I've missed anything obvious (I'm famous for it) :p

Cpu I'd like: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU, 2.40 GHz, FSB 1066MHz, 4MB L2 Cache, Socket LGA775
I]http://www.pricepoint.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=61_63&products_id=3424
I can understand you not wanting to ditch the 7800GS(It's not that old, and i'm sure it cost you a few bucks), which leaves few alternatives other than ASRock. They have one that has gained a lot of popularity, and is cheap as sin.

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA: $56.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

Advantages:

1. Supports AGP 8x or PCIe x4
2. Supports DDR or DDR2
3. Supports Core2Duo, as well as Pentium4/PentiumD..and Celeron D.

Disadvantages:

1.Only x4 PCIe vs x16. In many reviews, it doesn't make as much difference as you would think(on low-mid range video-cards)..but will bottleneck ~10% on anything faster than ~7900GT.

2.Due to supporting 2 memory standards, there are only 2 DIMM slots available for either DDR/DDR2. Thus 2GB max...which until VISTA, should more than suffice.

3.Poor overclocking. This is due to 1. Poor voltage options in BIOS. 2. VIA chipset, which isn't designed for the high FSB's that Core2Duo's can hit.

GL :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1Tanker is dead wrong about the board you'll want. You'll want this:

ASRock 939Dual-VSTA: $67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157097

You see, the board he suggested is SO bad that you're really better off with a worse-performing X2 processor and a board that really supports your hardware.

Advantages:

1. Supports AGP8x and PCI-Express x16, Tanker's suggestion doesn't support either interface at full performance.
2. Supports both card interfaces simultaniously, great for later upgrades.

Disadavantages:

1. Supports only DDR2.

Of course the real winning suggestion could be that of AdmiralSCL...

But anyway, 1Tanker's suggestion is junk.

lord_fabs

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Thanks to all of you for replying so quickly! I had never even heard of ASRock but it appears they make the boards for agp and socket 939. RAM is not an issue because i will be buying new ram for this and cycling the old parts to another computer. I do like the idea of agp8x and pci-e on one board though. I was going to get the ASRock 939Dual-VSTAbut on the product page it says Socket 939 for AMD Athlon™ 64FX / 64X2 / 64 Processors. It says nothing about conroe or core 2, so i'll leave this open to everyone overnight :p

lord_fabs

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
You might've misunderstood me a little bit, crashman. What i meant was that on the manufactures page for the motherboard you suggested it was labelling it an amd board and didnt specifically say conroe ready or anything to do with core2. The url is http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-VSTA.htm

All i am verifying is that it is core-2 compatible.

Thank you for replying so far, and hopefully once more :p

AdmiralSCL

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
The board I suggested is a core2duo capable board. You will not find a board that is compatible with both AMD and Intel as they are two different types of socket and chip types. Long gone are the days of Super Socket 7.

If you want to keep the AGP card and you want to keep the memory you have and get a core2duo then use the ASUS board I suggested.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You also mentioned a the possibility of using an X2 processor, please read your original post.

There are no good, modern AGP chipsets for intel processors: The "modern" AGP-Intel chipsets are junk, and the "good" ones are old.

bridonca

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006

http://www.pricepoint.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=61_63&products_id=3424
You never said what the old motherboard was, or what type of memory you have, but I still think you will be covered with this motherboard already suggested by 1Tanker, the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA. Good is that it covers all your bases and is cheap. Bad is that it does not OC that well and there are only 2 memory slots per ram type. It would be hard to recommend any other board that does AGP, because they are sadly more limited in options. This is a great transition board, and should keep you have for another 2 years or more. The price is not painful, so it makes it easier to buy such a nice CPU like the E6600. You choice of the E6600 is a very good one, because the larger 4 megs of cache largely makes up for the deficiancies of the chipset and ram to the point that they are close to nil.
There are C2D boards that have AGP but since your doing the build why limit yourself with AGP? You should go all the way with PCI-e. The CPU and motherboard will be good for the next couple of years while the video card will quickly become out dated. Soon DX10 compatible video cards will be dominating the market and all games will require them. Now you may still be able to find the few hybrid boards that where made. They had both AGP and PCI-e.
I would say because a new motherboard, cpu, video card, and ram cost a bloody fortune. Plus, by the time all those new DX10 games come out, there will be better hardware at a much cheaper price. A bit retarded to blow a wad on something that really not all that much better than what lord fabs currently has right now, is it?
Here is what ya need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131029

ASUS P5PE-VM

Intel 865G Chipset

Core2Duo

AGP 8x

DDR so ya can keep the memory ya have.
I originally got this board, and I do say I liked it. But sadly it does not have SATA RAID so I decided to return it. Other little things like it was mATX, had no DDR2 or PCIe option, and the useless onboard video made me decide on the better featured ASRock 775Dual-VSTA. If can live with the limitations of the P5PE-VM, it seemed to be a nice board though.
You also mentioned a the possibility of using an X2 processor, please read your original post.

There are no good, modern AGP chipsets for intel processors: The "modern" AGP-Intel chipsets are junk, and the "good" ones are old.

What cheek of your ass did you get this pearl of wisdom? I would love you to explain why these lesser chipsets are inferior, at least compared to high end AMD kit. They are not the best out there, but they are damn good considering the price of the gear. It amazes me that this technology is about 2 to 4 years old and it is still only about 5% slower than the "best"! I think that it more goes to show how crappy and overpriced the new stuff is. I am no VIA fanboy (got screwed royally with the KT133A motherboards), but I still bought a ASRock 775Dual-VSTA because of it's features and price. I simply have had better luck with the "lesser" boards than with expensive boards with "quality" chipsets. What I learned is all you pay for on the expensive boards are features that can usually be added cheaper with a PCI card. You certainly do not get better quality or support, at least not with Asus. I think $56 ASRock 775Dual-VSTA is a good bet, I would have to go through 3 of these motherboards before it becomes a bad bet. Even for the overclocker with a budget, I think they would be better off getting a E6600 and a ASRock 775Dual-VSTA than a E6300 and a expensive board. A new motherboard is cheaper than a new cpu. Motherboard prices depreciate quicker also.

I do not see the logic in recommending an x2 to lord_fabs. It means he has to buy more hardware, and inferior hardware at that. At least with a ASRock 775Dual-VSTA he can use his old hardware, and slowly upgrade to a much better core2duo setup. Hell the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA even supports a quad! And you have the nerve to call the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA and it's like crap! That is like calling a minivan crap because it cannot do 150 mph! :) It is only crap if you have to go that speed, most do not!
1Tanker is dead wrong about the board you'll want. You'll want this:

ASRock 939Dual-VSTA: $67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157097

You see, the board he suggested is SO bad that you're really better off with a worse-performing X2 processor and a board that really supports your hardware.

Advantages:

1. Supports AGP8x and PCI-Express x16, Tanker's suggestion doesn't support either interface at full performance.
2. Supports both card interfaces simultaneously, great for later upgrades.

Disadvantages:

1. Supports only DDR2.

Of course the real winning suggestion could be that of AdmiralSCL...

But anyway, 1Tanker's suggestion is junk.
I can only shake my head dude! Why would you even suggest such an obsolete, slower and more expensive platform? ULI does not even exist anymore, socket 939 is dead, and the AMD chips are vastly inferior than the the core2duo offerings. It is not even cheaper! I take it you jest, but in any event, you are only adding to the confusion.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was completely serious, I'd rather have a MIDRANGE processor and a GOOD board than a GREAT processor and a JUNK board. The M1695/M1597 combo is fine, far superior to anything VIA ever made.

On top of that, this guy already has good DDR1 RAM, and the performance difference between AM2 and 939 is almost non-existant.

His major worry is support for his graphics card. The M1597 has superior AGP support. To top that off, the M1695 has excellent PCI-Express support. The superiority of this combination to ANYTHING available for Intel AGP is quite easy to see, unless you're blind.

About the worse performance of AMD processors in general, well, most are priced good enough to make up for it.

bridonca

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I was completely serious, I'd rather have a MIDRANGE processor and a GOOD board than a GREAT processor and a JUNK board. The M1695/M1597 combo is fine, far superior to anything VIA ever made.
Even if the VIA solution were 5% slower than the ULI solution, which is subject to debate, the performance of the Core2Duo would overall be faster than any AMD combo. The AMD combo would certainly not be much cheaper. As for the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA being junk, that is another subject to debate. Overall, most owners of the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA, including myself, seem to be happy with the board.

On top of that, this guy already has good DDR1 RAM, and the performance difference between AM2 and 939 is almost non-existant.

I agree. Though the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA also supports DDR1 as well as DDR2. It is always nice to have more options.

His major worry is support for his graphics card. The M1597 has superior AGP support. To top that off, the M1695 has excellent PCI-Express support. The superiority of this combination to ANYTHING available for Intel AGP is quite easy to see, unless you're blind.

The ASRock 775Dual-VSTA also does full, true AGP 8x with no difficulty. I have not heard of any compatibility issues with AGP video cards, that should not be that much of a shock, the chipset has been around for about 3 years, so the bugs have long been ironed out. AGP just works on this board. As for the AGP performance differences between the 2 boards, it would be so small it would not even be noticeable, and the power of the Core2duo would easily make up for any deficiencies. As for the PCI express, the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA only does PCIe 4x. That limitation does not seem to hurt graphic card performance though, so as limitations go, it is not a bad one.

About the worse performance of AMD processors in general, well, most are priced good enough to make up for it.

The $57 cost of the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA plus $160 for an E6300 is $217! Show me a better AMD combo selling for cheaper than that!

The slowest Core2Duo is about the same speed as the best 939 CPU out there. Add that Core2Duo has much better OC potential, even my ASRock 775Dual-VSTA could OC my 2.4 ghz E6600 to 3 gigs with little effort.

G

Dude. I was in your exact same shoes. I went with the P5PE-VM mobo and a C2D E6400. Stillsupports our AGP cards and DDR1 ram and dual channel. So far the only down fall is that the RAM runs at 354mhz instead of the 400mhz that is should due to the FSB and chipset.

I am hoping that Asus will fix this soon in a Bios update to enable some o/c'ing but for now the 354mhz isn't really that bad.

Cheers