Sign in with
Your question

Need a SUPERCHEAP media streaming server wot cpu/mobo

Last response: in CPUs
January 1, 2007 8:10:55 AM

I want to make a server to store all my harddrives on. Wot cpu/mobo is best for it, do i need a decent cpu or can i get away with a cheap duel core cpu, plz share advice.
thx
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2007 10:04:53 AM

d00d, you're getting a Dell! Seriously, this type of use requires almost nothing from the system, get a refurbed system for around $150 and add a $20 disk controller card so you can use more drives.

A Pentium III 700 would be very potent for such applications.
January 1, 2007 11:43:09 AM

whilst i agree with you to some extent crashman i think it would be a good idea to look at one of the ee edition athlons (the power saving ones) this way it wil have the abilty to run as a multifunction server and you could run it 24/7 with minimal power draw
Related resources
January 1, 2007 12:36:34 PM

Quote:
whilst i agree with you to some extent crashman i think it would be a good idea to look at one of the ee edition athlons (the power saving ones) this way it wil have the abilty to run as a multifunction server and you could run it 24/7 with minimal power draw

he wanted cheap.
January 2, 2007 10:27:39 PM

so would a single core cut it or should i go duel core
January 3, 2007 5:30:26 AM

It entirely depends on what Jack mentioned. Will this be a NAS, with your set top boxes doing the actual decoding work, or will your set top boxes be simple "portal viewers", with all the demanding decoding of the media being done on the server and then streamed to the set top boxes? For me, I find that setting up a NAS is way easier, but that's just me. YMMV.
January 3, 2007 5:36:22 AM

its just goin to house all my harddrives and about 10 pc`s accessing it. and will stream vids to my 2 tv computers
January 4, 2007 10:11:40 PM

thx but thats remote desktop i mean where i have the main server and u log into it, im not sure how to explane it cuZ im new to servers, kinda like the ones at say a workplace where u can be in one office and log in then go to say the other office down the street then log in again
January 4, 2007 10:28:37 PM

You need to set up a domain with users etc. to be able to have your desktop available from any machine on the network and still retain all personal configuration/access rights/etc.
!