Axim drains backup battery

March 29, 2005 6:35:43 PM

My Dell Axim X5 seems to drain my backup battery constantly.
I don't even use the thing that much, once a week or less.
(The Axim is a rather archaic system... clunky and slow...)
I've seen others with the exactly same problem; they replace the backup
battery every 3 weeks or so, like me. That's a ridiculous amount, in my
opinion.

Is there a way to fix this? Anyone with similar issues?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:30:01 PM

Important to note: your Axim is really never "off". hitting the power
button really only puts it in a suspended mode (in other words it is always
using power) if you don't use it for a week at a time the main battery is
probably drained and the device is then drawing on the backup battery to
save all your info - which is what it is there for.
easiest solution: keep it charged when not in use.

<andrewmstein@gmail.com> wrote in message
| My Dell Axim X5 seems to drain my backup battery constantly.
| I don't even use the thing that much, once a week or less.
| (The Axim is a rather archaic system... clunky and slow...)
| I've seen others with the exactly same problem; they replace the backup
| battery every 3 weeks or so, like me. That's a ridiculous amount, in my
| opinion.
|
| Is there a way to fix this? Anyone with similar issues?

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:56:56 PM

Are you leaving the device on it's charger when you are not using it?
Some PPCs - I'm not sure if the Axim is one of them - requires that
the backup battery be charged while the main battery is charged. I
know my ViewSonic is this way.

Hope this helps,

Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!

http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine's "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews

On 29 Mar 2005 14:35:43 -0800, andrewmstein@gmail.com wrote:

>My Dell Axim X5 seems to drain my backup battery constantly.
>I don't even use the thing that much, once a week or less.
>(The Axim is a rather archaic system... clunky and slow...)
>I've seen others with the exactly same problem; they replace the backup
>battery every 3 weeks or so, like me. That's a ridiculous amount, in my
>opinion.
>
>Is there a way to fix this? Anyone with similar issues?
March 29, 2005 9:56:40 PM

Think this is a known issue with the X5's ... imho, the backup battery's
(a non recharagable button) low voltage sense is set too high in the
hardware.

Removing/replacing it along with a soft reset helps, but replacing it
with a fresh (read the expiration date) is the only real solution and it
will face the same issue down the line.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:45:17 PM

I do leave my device in the charger while not in use.
Note: I just replaced the backup battery this morning. Got home around
8 hours later, and the backup battery seems to be at "0%" charged.
Clinton, are you suggesting I don't leave it in the charger while it's
not in use?
That popup is really geatting annoying...
March 29, 2005 11:05:35 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> Think this is a known issue with the X5's ... imho, the backup
battery's
> (a non recharagable button) low voltage sense is set too high in the
> hardware.
I've got an Axim X5, it is a continuing problem. I replace the backup
battery about every 4-6 months. I just call it insurance for my
precious data.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:58:15 AM

Yep James, my PPC seems to report that the backup battery is now at
100%.
It's definitely the pathetic Axim software. If I had the time or the
patience, I would report it to Dell.
So far, your solution works. Still it's an inconvenience not to know
the real power status of your backup battery on a once $300 device.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:50:18 PM

Oh I agree and I can't believe Dell left it that way but then again they did
not offer an upgrade to 03 either for their users who bought these things.
If however you got one off their clearance site or eBay then at least you
didn't pay $300, I sure didn't. Although the concept was great Dell as usual
left support to be done by it's users. If the X5 had Bluetooth and wireless
I would likely never upgrade till it died but I'll be looking over the new
models when the next PPC version comes out (as long as they fix a few major
problems like syncing subfolders, encrypted emails, yada, yada, yada.)

Odds are you won't get a battery warning for awhile now then it will go into
fits again.

> Yep James, my PPC seems to report that the backup battery is now at
> 100%.
> It's definitely the pathetic Axim software. If I had the time or the
> patience, I would report it to Dell.
> So far, your solution works. Still it's an inconvenience not to know
> the real power status of your backup battery on a once $300 device.

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:53:39 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:50:18 -0500, "James B" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>Oh I agree and I can't believe Dell left it that way

They did put out one ROM upgrade that helped with the backup battery reading
issue. It wasn't perfect, but it helped.

> but then again they did
>not offer an upgrade to 03 either for their users who bought these things.

Wait a minute. They *did* offer Win Mobile 2003 to X5 users. I bought it
from them in Sept. 2003 for $29. They didn't offer WM 2003 *SE* to X5
users, if that's what you meant. However, SE really doesn't offer much for
X5s.

>Odds are you won't get a battery warning for awhile now then it will go into
>fits again.

I've had some success using a bit of paper to shim the backup battery up -
making sure it doesn't cover the contact points. Sometimes just taking the
battery out, polishing it with some cloth, and then putting it back in
(without getting fingerprints all over it), will get the battery to read
correctly.

><andrewmstein@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yep James, my PPC seems to report that the backup battery is now at
>> 100%.
>> It's definitely the pathetic Axim software. If I had the time or the
>> patience, I would report it to Dell.

No need. They already know about it.

!