Booting with windows xp CD

Hi.
I have made a backup copy of my windows xp CD. Now I have misplaced my
original cd that came with the computer. I want to know if I can use the
backup CD to boot up the computer whenever windows becomes unstable and
destroyed by hackers?

From the one and only
Paddy
3 answers Last reply
More about booting windows

    Paddy wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I have made a backup copy of my windows xp CD. Now I have misplaced my
    > original cd that came with the computer. I want to know if I can use the
    > backup CD to boot up the computer whenever windows becomes unstable and
    > destroyed by hackers?
    >

    > From the one and only
    > Paddy

    Yes, assuming it's an install CD and not a "recovery" disk. That's why
    you made a backup, yes? And don't you think it would be easier to lock
    your front door than to leave it wide open and wait for burglars and
    vandals?

    In news:2ZXId.17741$IP6.5621@trnddc05,
    Paddy <paddysiaw2@verizon.net> typed:

    > I have made a backup copy of my windows xp CD. Now I have
    > misplaced my
    > original cd that came with the computer. I want to know if I
    > can use
    > the backup CD to boot up the computer

    No, you can't use the backup CD to boot the computer, but you can
    use it to reinstall Windows whenever you want to. That's the
    purpose of making such a backup.

    > whenever windows becomes
    > unstable and destroyed by hackers?

    If Windows becomes unstable and destroyed, don't blame it on
    hackers, blame it on yourself for not taking the proper
    precautions and not using the many forms of protection available
    to you. Most of us don't have such problems.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    It really depends how you created the copy. If you did a Disk->Disk copy
    with a copy program then the copy should be an exact duplicate or your
    original including the boot files. It should behave just like the original.
    Windows CDs are not copy protected so a simple Disk Copy can be accomplished
    with nearly any third party copying program. However if you copied the
    contents of the original to another CD using XP's built in burning software
    then the disk will not be bootable.

    You can test it easily by simply starting your computer with the CD in the
    drive. You should see a message that says "press any key to boot CD....."
    and have 5 seconds to press a key. If doing so boots the CD (providing your
    BIOS is set to boot the CD-Rom) then you will likely be good to go.

    In some cases a bad burn occurs and the disk is a dud. But most often copies
    are as good as the original.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Paddy" <paddysiaw2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > I have made a backup copy of my windows xp CD. Now I have misplaced my
    > original cd that came with the computer. I want to know if I can use the
    > backup CD to boot up the computer whenever windows becomes unstable and
    > destroyed by hackers?
    >

    > From the one and only
    > Paddy

Computers Backup CD-Rom Windows XP