controlling wndow size

January 24, 2005 5:00:47 AM

For the life of my I can't seem to figure out how to retain window sizing
permanently. I will resize a window and it may stay the size for a few
usages but it will eventually revert back to full screen size.

This is especially irksome when I go thru a large directory 'tree' in My
Docs to get to a file. some of these 'branches' only have one or two sub
directories in them and no need for a full screen view.

How do I customize individual windows so that when I set their size, they
will always open that size for that window and not revert to full screen
view? What triggers it to revert back to full screen view?

Ron Patterson

More about : controlling wndow size

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 5:00:48 AM

Hi, Ron.

We hear that complaint a lot here, mostly involving IE windows. Not usually
involving windows for Quicken or Word or other applications.

IE remembers the size of the last window closed when we exit IE. So, just
open one IE window, stretch it to fill the screen, then File | Exit, or
click the red X. (Actually, it's a white X in a red box, but you know what
I mean.) Then open IE again and it should fill your screen.

There are a couple of problems with this, though. The first is that only
the final window closed in a session is remembered. So, if you close your
big window, only to find a smaller one lurking behind, when you close that
small window LAST, that's the size you'll see next time you start IE, so
you'll have to resize it again. Another problem is that IE seems to
remember different sizes for the different ways we can open IE: by clicking
the desktop icon; by clicking an URL in another IE window, or in an OE
message, or some other way. We may have to set its memory for each of these
alternatives.

The Properties page for IE has a box to Run Normal, Maximized or Minimized;
this works SOMETIMES.

And remember that, although they may look a lot alike and we may call them
the same thing, Windows knows the difference between Full-Screen (toggle
with F11), Maximized (click the square icon) and a Normal window stretched
to fill the screen.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Ron Patterson" <a.baba@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> For the life of my I can't seem to figure out how to retain window sizing
> permanently. I will resize a window and it may stay the size for a few
> usages but it will eventually revert back to full screen size.
>
> This is especially irksome when I go thru a large directory 'tree' in My
> Docs to get to a file. some of these 'branches' only have one or two sub
> directories in them and no need for a full screen view.
>
> How do I customize individual windows so that when I set their size, they
> will always open that size for that window and not revert to full screen
> view? What triggers it to revert back to full screen view?
>
> Ron Patterson

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 5:43:34 AM

Thanks RC
I am not at all concerned with window sizing in IE. Nor am I concerned
with window sizing in any program.
What drives me nuts is that I am super organized and have a huge My Docs
with as many as 14 levels of directories and sub directories. Getting to a
file in, say, the thirteenth level involves opening 12 directories, (not a
problem). As each directory opens, I resize it down to be just large enough
to display the contents and then proceed onward until I can view the file
and open it. Now all these previous windows have been resized down but I
can not hold that size as a default. Next time or some time thereafter,
when going thru all these directories they will revert to full screen view.
Some mechanism always eventually triggers these window to reappear as full
screen view. It seems I spend half my life on this computer resizing all
these directory windows back the way I want them, only to see them
eventually, for who knows what reason or trigger, to be full screen view.

So, how can I size a directory window in My Docs and have it retain that
size. What mechanism or trigger makes it, without rhyme or reason, revert
eventually to full screen view?
Ron

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Ron.
>
> We hear that complaint a lot here, mostly involving IE windows. Not
usually
> involving windows for Quicken or Word or other applications.
>
> IE remembers the size of the last window closed when we exit IE. So, just
> open one IE window, stretch it to fill the screen, then File | Exit, or
> click the red X. (Actually, it's a white X in a red box, but you know
what
> I mean.) Then open IE again and it should fill your screen.
>
> There are a couple of problems with this, though. The first is that only
> the final window closed in a session is remembered. So, if you close your
> big window, only to find a smaller one lurking behind, when you close that
> small window LAST, that's the size you'll see next time you start IE, so
> you'll have to resize it again. Another problem is that IE seems to
> remember different sizes for the different ways we can open IE: by
clicking
> the desktop icon; by clicking an URL in another IE window, or in an OE
> message, or some other way. We may have to set its memory for each of
these
> alternatives.
>
> The Properties page for IE has a box to Run Normal, Maximized or
Minimized;
> this works SOMETIMES.
>
> And remember that, although they may look a lot alike and we may call them
> the same thing, Windows knows the difference between Full-Screen (toggle
> with F11), Maximized (click the square icon) and a Normal window stretched
> to fill the screen.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Ron Patterson" <a.baba@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > For the life of my I can't seem to figure out how to retain window
sizing
> > permanently. I will resize a window and it may stay the size for a few
> > usages but it will eventually revert back to full screen size.
> >
> > This is especially irksome when I go thru a large directory 'tree' in My
> > Docs to get to a file. some of these 'branches' only have one or two
sub
> > directories in them and no need for a full screen view.
> >
> > How do I customize individual windows so that when I set their size,
they
> > will always open that size for that window and not revert to full screen
> > view? What triggers it to revert back to full screen view?
> >
> > Ron Patterson

January 24, 2005 5:43:35 AM

> Thanks RC
> I am not at all concerned with window sizing in IE. Nor am I
> concerned
> with window sizing in any program.
> What drives me nuts is that I am super organized and have a huge My
> Docs with as many as 14 levels of directories and sub directories.
> Getting to a file in, say, the thirteenth level involves opening 12
> directories, (not a problem). As each directory opens, I resize it
> down to be just large enough to display the contents and then proceed
> onward until I can view the file and open it. Now all these previous
> windows have been resized down but I can not hold that size as a
> default. Next time or some time thereafter, when going thru all these
> directories they will revert to full screen view. Some mechanism
> always eventually triggers these window to reappear as full screen
> view. It seems I spend half my life on this computer resizing all
> these directory windows back the way I want them, only to see them
> eventually, for who knows what reason or trigger, to be full screen
> view.
>
> So, how can I size a directory window in My Docs and have it retain
> that size. What mechanism or trigger makes it, without rhyme or
> reason, revert eventually to full screen view?
> Ron

from what i'm hearing it sounds as though you are just going thru the my
docs shortcut on the desktop to get there. do you have explorer set to
'open each folder in it's own window' ?

do you ever use windows explorer to browse ? for ease, just right click
on 'my computer', then pick 'Explore' from the context menu. in the left
hand pane will be a treeview with 'my documents' near the top. clcik on
that and 'your documents' will be displayed in the right-hand pane.

expand away until you get to what your looking for.

i try to impress upon the people i have to 'tutor' on how important it is
to learn how to use WINDOWS Explorer, as from there you can truly get to
EVERYTHING on your computer, namespace items included.

DanS

<SNIP>
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 7:30:35 AM

DanS - Windows explorer is an old friend and under control.
Actually, I use it so often I have an icon on my task bar and properties set

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e.C:

so it opens the C drive because for My Docs I like to skip the step of going
thru Explorer. So I put an icon on my task bar to open that directly -
which leads to the window sizing issue.

Ron
"DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote in message
> "Ron Patterson" <a.baba@mindspring.com> wrote in
>
> > Thanks RC
> > I am not at all concerned with window sizing in IE. Nor am I
> > concerned
> > with window sizing in any program.
> > What drives me nuts is that I am super organized and have a huge My
> > Docs with as many as 14 levels of directories and sub directories.
> > Getting to a file in, say, the thirteenth level involves opening 12
> > directories, (not a problem). As each directory opens, I resize it
> > down to be just large enough to display the contents and then proceed
> > onward until I can view the file and open it. Now all these previous
> > windows have been resized down but I can not hold that size as a
> > default. Next time or some time thereafter, when going thru all these
> > directories they will revert to full screen view. Some mechanism
> > always eventually triggers these window to reappear as full screen
> > view. It seems I spend half my life on this computer resizing all
> > these directory windows back the way I want them, only to see them
> > eventually, for who knows what reason or trigger, to be full screen
> > view.
> >
> > So, how can I size a directory window in My Docs and have it retain
> > that size. What mechanism or trigger makes it, without rhyme or
> > reason, revert eventually to full screen view?
> > Ron
> >

> from what i'm hearing it sounds as though you are just going thru the my
> docs shortcut on the desktop to get there. do you have explorer set to
> 'open each folder in it's own window' ?
>
> do you ever use windows explorer to browse ? for ease, just right click
> on 'my computer', then pick 'Explore' from the context menu. in the left
> hand pane will be a treeview with 'my documents' near the top. clcik on
> that and 'your documents' will be displayed in the right-hand pane.
>
> expand away until you get to what your looking for.
>
> i try to impress upon the people i have to 'tutor' on how important it is
> to learn how to use WINDOWS Explorer, as from there you can truly get to
> EVERYTHING on your computer, namespace items included.
>

> DanS
>
> <SNIP>
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:05:59 PM

Full screen happens when you press F11. Is that what you mean. If not then you are running at 800x600 resolution which is the minimun size of a new folder window.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Ron Patterson" <a.baba@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:jFYId.3945$YD5.2896@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> For the life of my I can't seem to figure out how to retain window sizing
> permanently. I will resize a window and it may stay the size for a few
> usages but it will eventually revert back to full screen size.
>
> This is especially irksome when I go thru a large directory 'tree' in My
> Docs to get to a file. some of these 'branches' only have one or two sub
> directories in them and no need for a full screen view.
>
> How do I customize individual windows so that when I set their size, they
> will always open that size for that window and not revert to full screen
> view? What triggers it to revert back to full screen view?
>
> Ron Patterson

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:37:19 PM

Each path is a seperate setting.