Newbie looking for a new motherboard

starbug

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I've joined up to the forum, so first of all, I'd like to wish you all a Happy New Year.

I'm looking to buy a new motherboard and was hoping that there would be a web site where I could select various requirements and parameters to shorlist the available motherboard that would meet my requirements.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a web site that does this. Does anyone know of one?

If not, would anybody be able to point me in the direction of a few motherboards that meets the following specification please:

Processor Slot: AMD Socket 754, that can take an Athelon 3000+
Memoury Slots: At least 4, that can take PC3200 DDR 400 RAM
ATA Sockets: At least 2
SATA Sockets: At least 4 @ 3.0 Gbits/s with the ability to set up 2 pairs of SATA Sockets with Mirrored RAID
PCI Sockets: At least 2. Additional 'newer PCI' slots would also be beneficial.
Graphics: Either on board or a graphics card slot, not too fussed.
On board RS232 COM ports: At least 2
USB2.0 Sockets: At least 4
On board LAN: At least 100Mb NIC
On board sound: Just normal stereo in/out and mike

I'm not sure if I'm asking for too much.

Please, if anyone could give me some guidence, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

SolitoN79

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I don't know of such a site, and there are too many motherboard options to list here. I can tell you what I do when I want a new mobo: I visit a retailer's web page and scope out what they have; motherboards are usually listed by processor, then socket type. This is also a good place to find the names of manufacturer's so you can then visit their pages directly.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I cannot find a motherboard with all of the features and connectors you are looking for.

I would suggest that you might look at getting an add-in PCI SATA raid controller to run the SATA drives and then you could have you choice of several different boards.

starbug

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I cannot find a motherboard with all of the features and connectors you are looking for.

I would suggest that you might look at getting an add-in PCI SATA raid controller to run the SATA drives and then you could have you choice of several different boards.

Hi DukeDave,

Thanks very much for looking around for a motherboard.

I'd be happy to get an add-in PCI SATA raid controller.

Please could you let me know what motherboards I would be able to choose from by doing that.

Thanks again.

Richard.

normski001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
with a socket 754 board i would look at ebay
you could get a top end, new or second user with all that
think msi k8 neo has all but graphics
stick to asus,abit,msi, or any top brand
may need to add second sata and not sure on rs232 sockets

with a socket 754 board i would look at ebay
you could get a top end, new or second user with all that
think msi k8 neo has all but graphics
stick to asus,abit,msi, or any top brand
may need to add second sata and not sure on rs232 sockets

oh gawd stay away from MSI

why 754 may i ask?

starbug

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Hi,

I'd prefer a socket 754 simply because that's what I'm using on my other PC.

My thinking is that once I've got this motherboard, I'll build a new PC, both of which would be socket 754.

If I have problems with either of them and I suspect the CPU, I could swap them to give me an idea of where the problem may be.

That's really the only reason for wanting a socket 754.

If I can't get a socket 754, then it's whatever I can install a 64 bit AMD CPU in.

Thanks,

Richard.

normski001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
i would go 939 im told the 754 can be a bottle neck when gaming or graphic work and if your old 754 goes just change to 939 cpu and mboard as you can get the board and cpu for under £100 now
whats wrong with msi i have 4 of them and had only 1 bad and msi replased that return post

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i would go 939 im told the 754 can be a bottle neck when gaming or graphic work and if your old 754 goes just change to 939 cpu and mboard as you can get the board and cpu for under £100 now
whats wrong with msi i have 4 of them and had only 1 bad and msi replased that return post

Why go 939? AM2 is the future!

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Newegg.com will let you filter your results with some of these categories. I don't think it will give you all the options you are looking for but will let you check for some of them

pffftttt single channel memory amds (s754) with 200mhz more equals a part with dual channel memory (s939's), same goes for cache, theres no bottle neck.

fcuk this old board bs and get new stuff

OH DEAR GOD STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MSI THERE TOTAL CRUD DONT GO THERE JUST NO JUST JUST NO.

Hi,

I'd prefer a socket 754 simply because that's what I'm using on my other PC.

My thinking is that once I've got this motherboard, I'll build a new PC, both of which would be socket 754.

If I have problems with either of them and I suspect the CPU, I could swap them to give me an idea of where the problem may be.

That's really the only reason for wanting a socket 754.

If I can't get a socket 754, then it's whatever I can install a 64 bit AMD CPU in.

Thanks,

Richard.

why AMD? some intels are faster, colder and cheaper! dont narrow down your options ;)

if anything, yeah AM2 - atleast it will be supported longer and has the option of dual core upgrades atleast.

TRENDING THREADS