Why did WinXP name my Raid Array the "F" disk?

Meech

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Just got done putting together a new computer with a EVGA 680i Mobo with 2 150 Gig WD Raptors in Raid 0. Every thing went fine, formatting my hard drive(s) and installing Windows XP Professional. After it was done and a reboot, I looked at the directory, windows had labeled my Raid array as the "F "drive instead of the normal "C" drive. Any one know why? These are the only hard drives installed in my computer. Everything works fine but before spending time installing programs I would like to know if I should leave it this way or do a reformat?

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
You can just change it manually back to "c" as long as nothing else is using it. It really shouldn't mattter either way, but since most programs default install to "C" it could save you some trouble in the future.

pat

Expert
You can just change it manually back to "c" as long as nothing else is using it. It really shouldn't mattter either way, but since most programs default install to "C" it could save you some trouble in the future.

XP won't let him modify the letter of the boot drive.

pat

Expert
Just got done putting together a new computer with a EVGA 680i Mobo with 2 150 Gig WD Raptors in Raid 0. Every thing went fine, formatting my hard drive(s) and installing Windows XP Professional. After it was done and a reboot, I looked at the directory, windows had labeled my Raid array as the "F "drive instead of the normal "C" drive. Any one know why? These are the only hard drives installed in my computer. Everything works fine but before spending time installing programs I would like to know if I should leave it this way or do a reformat?

you had a USB storage devices already formatted and used in your system. Unplug all usb storage and reinstall.. it is the oly way to make it C:

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Meech,
Pat is dead on. Just went to that rodeo myself. It's best to go back and restart the XP install now before you go to all the trouble of downloading and updating all you programs and drivers.

The only reason that I'm seconding the opinion of seasoned professionals is that it took me hearing it from several people before it finally sunk in. I wasted quite a bit of time trying workarounds before I finally listened and went back and did it the right way :oops:

Meech

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Thanks to all that replied. I will take the sugestion and go thru another reformat with all of the USB devices unpluged, reboot, and then plug the USB devices in. I am away from home for a few days, but I plan to be back this weekend and will report the results. Hope everyone has a happy and productive New Year. :D