Locking my computer

My computer needs to be password protected when I leave my desk, but I don't
want to set the screen saver to any less than 10 minutes, because it is
annoying when I'm at my desk and it comes on, making me sign on again.

I would use stand by, but I have been having problems with the computer not
entering stand by mode, possibly because I have a UNIX session open, I'm not
sure. (It works after I close most of my programs, but that defeats the
purpose).

If anyone knows of a way to initiate a screen saver through a hot key so I
could turn it on right when I got up (not ten minutes later) or another way
to lock my computer without closing any programs, I would greatly appreciate
it.
4 answers Last reply
More about locking computer

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:24:01 -0700, sailingstu05
    <sailingstu05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >If anyone knows of a way to initiate a screen saver through a hot key so I
    >could turn it on right when I got up (not ten minutes later) or another way
    >to lock my computer without closing any programs, I would greatly appreciate
    >it.

    Hmm... right click on the desktop screen and select properties
    and then the screen saver tab allows a screen saver preview, but
    I have never done that with a password option, so don't know if
    the "preview" will go into the password mode

    You might try the MS article search site
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&View=en-us

    If Microsoft has published an article on something like
    screen saver hotkey
    or whatever search terms you want to use, it will be there

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    "sailingstu05" <sailingstu05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer needs to be password protected when I leave my desk, but I
    don't
    > want to set the screen saver to any less than 10 minutes, because it is
    > annoying when I'm at my desk and it comes on, making me sign on again.
    >
    > I would use stand by, but I have been having problems with the computer
    not
    > entering stand by mode, possibly because I have a UNIX session open, I'm
    not
    > sure. (It works after I close most of my programs, but that defeats the
    > purpose).
    >
    > If anyone knows of a way to initiate a screen saver through a hot key so I
    > could turn it on right when I got up (not ten minutes later) or another
    way
    > to lock my computer without closing any programs, I would greatly
    appreciate
    > it.

    Ctr+Alt+Del and log out.

    Ctrl-Alt-Del >> Enter.
    Louis

    sailingstu05 wrote:
    > My computer needs to be password protected when I leave my desk, but I don't
    > want to set the screen saver to any less than 10 minutes, because it is
    > annoying when I'm at my desk and it comes on, making me sign on again.
    >
    > I would use stand by, but I have been having problems with the computer not
    > entering stand by mode, possibly because I have a UNIX session open, I'm not
    > sure. (It works after I close most of my programs, but that defeats the
    > purpose).
    >
    > If anyone knows of a way to initiate a screen saver through a hot key so I
    > could turn it on right when I got up (not ten minutes later) or another way
    > to lock my computer without closing any programs, I would greatly appreciate
    > it.

    Four ways to lock a Win2K workstation:

    1) Use the Windows Key + L hot key.

    2) You can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then <ENTER>.

    3) You can create a desktop shortcut with
    "%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation" in the
    target field. (It is case-sensitive, BTW.) You can then assign a
    keyboard shortcut.

    4) Set a password protected screensaver, and wait the allotted time
    without touching the mouse or keyboard.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: