Directory and file organization

In Dos days I could keep track of where things were by looking at the
directory tree.
Now with XP, and all of its users (3 on mine) I have "my documents" and "my
documents and settings" with dulplicate files all over the tree. Is there a
good book or web site to explain what this OS is doing?
thanks.

--
oldtimer
9 answers Last reply

    It is not that there are duplicate files, but that there are several views
    of the same files. The best books are Microsoft's Windows XP Inside and Out
    and Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows XP Professional (perfectly valid for XP
    Home as well).

    Salut/Hi "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com>,

    le/on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:24:48 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

    >It is not that there are duplicate files, but that there are several views
    >of the same files. The best books are Microsoft's Windows XP Inside and Out
    >and Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows XP Professional (perfectly valid for XP
    >Home as well).

    Are you sure about this, Colin?

    I use a pretty simple (quasi dos) file management program called Ztree -
    which I recommend wholeheartedly, by the way.

    Using this, I can scan my entire disk structure, and then show all files in
    single view, I can also get it to display all file attributes.

    So using Ztree, I look at my structure and see - to take one example
    entirely at random "cb.exe". I see it with identical size and date in two
    places. C:\Program Files\NetMeeting and c:\system32\dllcache

    what would happen if I were to rename this file in one of these two places?
    Would the name change in both references? What if I were to move one copy
    (say from system32\dllcache\) to d:\temp temporarily?

    I'm tempted to try.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    XP is a multi-user OS, it creates user folders for each
    account and they are protected from access by other accounts
    that do not have administrator rights.

    Windows Help under subjects for accounts and users will
    help. The Windows XP InsideOut is a good book.

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:15:03 -0800, gumshu wrote:

    > In Dos days I could keep track of where things were by looking at the
    > directory tree.
    > Now with XP, and all of its users (3 on mine) I have "my documents" and "my
    > documents and settings" with dulplicate files all over the tree. Is there a
    > good book or web site to explain what this OS is doing?
    > thanks.

    Use Explorer in the two pane view to get a visual representation of the
    tree. If it helps, ignore namespace items like My Computer, Desktop, My
    Documents and so on. Most of these "extras" lead to folders within the main
    directory structure.

    Instead, concentrate on the listings per drive. These are still not an
    exact tree like you had in DOS but are close enough that you should be able
    to find your way around.

    If you do not have a Folders button in Explorer's standard toolbar, add
    one. Right click on the toolbar. If the Lock menu is active, unlock. Then
    use the Customize option to add the Folders button. Clicking this button
    will toggle between folder view (one pane) and explorer view (two panes).
    It's up to you if you want to once again lock the toolbars when you're done
    with the customizing.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    The same file can be displayed in more than one place. On a network a user
    can have a virtual drive that organizes the files he has permissions for.
    These files are not located on any one physical drive in the way displayed
    and they are not duplicated for the user's directory. Also, several users
    on your XP machine can see and use Office but only one copy of Office is
    installed.

    In news:9D94F2A1-4818-47B4-9B18-0D7AD2D21C59@microsoft.com,
    gumshu <gumshu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > In Dos days I could keep track of where things were by looking
    > at the
    > directory tree.
    > Now with XP, and all of its users (3 on mine) I have "my
    > documents"
    > and "my documents and settings" with dulplicate files all over
    > the
    > tree. Is there a good book or web site to explain what this OS
    > is
    > doing?

    No, there areally are no duplicate files in the sense you mean.
    The folders you're talking about are called "namespaces," and are
    just pointers to the actual files themselves.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    One is windows file protection of files to replace when you screw up. It is also nothing to do with what we are talking about here.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message news:el37v0p9gi8pq3lqhekj0gn8tnbg5215c3@4ax.com...
    > Salut/Hi "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com>,
    >
    > le/on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:24:48 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
    >
    >>It is not that there are duplicate files, but that there are several views
    >>of the same files. The best books are Microsoft's Windows XP Inside and Out
    >>and Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows XP Professional (perfectly valid for XP
    >>Home as well).
    >
    > Are you sure about this, Colin?
    >
    > I use a pretty simple (quasi dos) file management program called Ztree -
    > which I recommend wholeheartedly, by the way.
    >
    > Using this, I can scan my entire disk structure, and then show all files in
    > single view, I can also get it to display all file attributes.
    >
    > So using Ztree, I look at my structure and see - to take one example
    > entirely at random "cb.exe". I see it with identical size and date in two
    > places. C:\Program Files\NetMeeting and c:\system32\dllcache
    >
    > what would happen if I were to rename this file in one of these two places?
    > Would the name change in both references? What if I were to move one copy
    > (say from system32\dllcache\) to d:\temp temporarily?
    >
    > I'm tempted to try.
    >
    > --
    > All the Best
    > Ian Hoare
    > http://www.souvigne.com
    > mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

    Salut/Hi David Candy,

    le/on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:20:43 +1100, tu disais/you said:-

    >One is windows file protection of files to replace when you screw up. It is also nothing to do with what we are talking about here.

    Which? Are you talking about the OP's directories, or my example?

    BTW. I think it is or I wouldn't have made the comment.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    Well you're wromg.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message news:3fi7v0574dv6ottrdkmbp6m6gob3romiag@4ax.com...
    > Salut/Hi David Candy,
    >
    > le/on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:20:43 +1100, tu disais/you said:-
    >
    >>One is windows file protection of files to replace when you screw up. It is also nothing to do with what we are talking about here.
    >
    > Which? Are you talking about the OP's directories, or my example?
    >
    > BTW. I think it is or I wouldn't have made the comment.
    >

    > --
    > All the Best
    > Ian Hoare
    > http://www.souvigne.com
    > mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Microsoft Windows XP