Sign in with
Your question

what shall i upgrade, graphics or RAM?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2007 6:33:54 PM

im getting a new PC on wednesday (Dell C521) and i want to upgrade at least one part of it but im not sure what.
the graphics card its coming with is the ATi Radeon X1300 Pro PCI Express
the RAM its coming with is 1GB DDR2 533mhz

now I only have £85 to spend which is enough to buy this:
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.asp?mtbpoid=...

or this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

which one shall i get? a much better and faster graphics card OR upgrade to 2GB RAM

More about : upgrade graphics ram

January 1, 2007 7:04:18 PM

If you do gaming, the video card is a better upgrade. If not, the RAM would be better.
January 1, 2007 7:05:01 PM

if you're a gamer, the vid card would definately be the better upgrade: its always in GPUs that you see the most change. however, i'm not sure that a 1650 would be a world of change over what you have now (although it would definately be an upgrade...!) however, if you're not a gamer..... then probably the ram. i guess it depends mostly on what you intend to do with it, and what other people say...!
Related resources
January 1, 2007 7:24:29 PM

I'd be very surprised if you can fit that big old card into that itsy-bitsy case. Many of the larger Dell systems can't take a double wide card ...
January 1, 2007 7:26:42 PM

i have no idea about the model number 'n stuff..... but power supply is another issue, usually they have very minimally powerful powersupplies. another thing to look out for.
January 1, 2007 8:01:30 PM

Quote:
exactly why are you getting a dell. if it was a laptop i would understand but since it aint?

oh and just follow the other guys advice.

Agreed there!

Anyway, as to the advice. I would SERIOUSLY contemplate saving just £30 more and getting this 7900GS, it's an overclocking monster!

If you can't afford to go the extra £30 then for just £10 more you can get:

It's an x1650xt which totally blows the x1650pro out of the water especially in shader heavy games.
January 1, 2007 8:38:40 PM

1GB of RAM is plenty - only upgrade the RAM if you are not into gaming, otherwise fix your graphics pronto!!
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2007 10:08:22 PM

Quote:
1GB of RAM is plenty - only upgrade the RAM if you are not into gaming, otherwise fix your graphics pronto!!

1Gb is plenty until Stalker comes out, then its min requirement! :cry:  And I only got 1gb...
January 1, 2007 10:29:47 PM

Quote:

1Gb is plenty until Stalker comes out, then its min requirement! :cry:  And I only got 1gb...

You're missing Gothic 3 which has a min. of 1GB RAM, rec. is 1.5gb. But who in their right mind has 1.5gb of RAM?
January 1, 2007 11:42:34 PM

Quote:
what about bf2, in real world terms that has a minimum of 2GB.

I think you'll find you can play the game perfectly well with only 512MB RAM if the detail is set around medium. However, 1gb makes the game smooth constantly whereas 2GB eliminates the chance of having any lag at all.
January 2, 2007 12:16:42 AM

So then you would want 2 gigs, to lessen the chance of errors and lag in games.
January 2, 2007 12:18:04 AM

I think you'll find you can play the game perfectly well with only 512MB RAM if the detail is set around medium. However, 1gb makes the game smooth constantly whereas 2GB eliminates the chance of having any lag at all.[/quote]

rofl know my next upgrade! lol nice way to put it
January 2, 2007 12:29:59 AM

Well 1 gig it does play ok if you play it on medium I suppose, though I play everything maxed and 1 gig for BF2 and 2142 is not enough. I have 85% usage of ram while playing 2142 with my 2 gigs of team extreme ddr800 with 32 running processes, and no system hogs to speak of, so 1 gig will not suffice 2 is needed in my case. That would be the case in many systems I would imagine.

IMO 2 gigs minimum if you play games.
January 2, 2007 12:31:09 AM

Don't even think about upgrading your video card yet! I don't know what these people are smokin but in less than 60 days there will be a full range of DX10 cards from both companies, along with a ton of performance reviews and price shuffles for all existing cards. Just limp along for a month, perhaps save up a bit more, and then take make the jump. If you can wait 45 days, whatever you buy will have a far longer life.

Get RAM if you "just have to" spend money on something. Get up to 2GB if you plan on moving to Vista within the next 6 months. But what do you do with your computer? Use if for a month or two to see if and what needs upgrading.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2007 2:39:37 AM

YOU ARE EITHER AN IDIOT OR BLIND!! I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SMOKING!!

He said he has 85 quid (always wanted to say that) to spend, now tell me what dx10 card costs 85? Even "saving up a bit more" isnt going to help there.

I really enjoy throwing what people say back into their face again.
January 2, 2007 12:18:11 PM

Quote:
lol, lets not forget this is going in a dell as well. that case ain't gonna allow damn all dx10 cards.

good roasting of scifiman BTW, he is an idiot of the highest order anyway.

That got me wondering, who is the most stupid/most ignorant person on the forumz?
January 2, 2007 1:05:15 PM

that one shithead who started that spamwar that one time...! were you guys here then? it was HORRIBLE. yeah, i'd say he's the worst. he or she.
January 2, 2007 1:06:02 PM

Definitely upgrade the graphics card for now. That 1gb Ram will hold you for a bit and a better GPU will make a much bigger difference in games.

As a side note, that 1650pro isn't that great of a card although better than what comes with your machine. I would try to squeeze a few more $ out of myself and get a 7600GT if you can. Better OCing potential and beats the 1650pro handily in pretty much anything.
!