Anything like "msconfig" in Win2000 ?

Hi
Other Windows OS have the useful utility of "msconfig".

Does 2000 have anything like it ???
Thanks Frank
15 answers Last reply
More about anything msconfig win2000

    Hi Frank - There are several approaches you can use to make controlling the
    Startup process easier in Win2k.

    1) If you still have access to it, you can move a copy of the Win98 msconfig
    to your \System\ folder and it will work - just ignore any complaints it
    makes.

    2) Much better, you can go here:

    http://www.thetechguide.com/downloads.html (XP Version which works in Win2k
    just fine) or here:

    http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe Recommended (stated
    to be a Win2k Version - probably the same as the XP) or here:

    http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm and download msconfig.

    3) As good, but different, is to go here:
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and get Mike Lin's Startup Control
    Panel applet. Recommended. A somewhat more difficult to use but more
    extensive program to do the same thing is StartupList from here:
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html, or even better, Autoruns from
    here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml. This one
    shows many additional useful/critical Registry entries. Recommended.

    Be very careful about doing any Registry modifications directly unless
    you're comfortable with this, and be sure that you BACKUP your Registry
    before making any changes, so that you can recover if something goes wrong.
    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ I've set it up to take a
    scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
    Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject. The following tutorials are useful:

    Installing & Using ERUNT
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

    To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

    Changes made with StartUpCPL are less likely to cause problems, and are
    usually a matter of just re-enabling the particular program. Another
    program of this type that I can recommend is StartMan, free. You'll have to
    get it here: http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/utils/startman10396.exe, as the
    pcforest site is, sadly, no longer in business. Another such free program
    that I can highly recommend is StartupRun, here:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.html, particularly if you suspect malware
    problems - it has a lot of useful info including file creation dates. And
    finally, StartupCop, here is excellent and allows you to set up multiple
    "startup profiles": http://www.pchelp911.com/files/startcop.zip. If you
    have problems with suspected hijackers, you can look up and investigate
    suspect programs in your StartUp lists here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm (Recommended)
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html (Recommended)
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm (Recommended)

    All work fine for controlling startups, however, I would recommend getting
    both of the last two. They're both free, and each has some advantages. For
    example, the XP msconfig also gives you some visibility/control over
    services, while Mike's applet offers much better startup control.

    Also, you should read and print out/save for future reference mskb article
    Q179365 here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q179365 which will
    tell you the order in which things get loaded.

    Two additional resources which have useful information relating to startup
    issues are:

    How to Delay Loading of Specific Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193888

    HOWTO: Control Device Driver Load Order
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q115/4/86.asp

    One last thing - if you want to use msconfig in order to help deal with
    "malware" issues, be aware that you can use it to do a "Clean Boot" from
    which to better run anti-spyware cleanup tools:

    #########IMPORTANT#########
    Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
    or a "Clean Boot" when possible. Reboot and test if the malware is fixed
    after using each tool.

    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

    Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
    OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
    http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe ):

    1. StartRun enter msconfig.

    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
    System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
    boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
    then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
    True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
    (enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
    other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
    enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
    ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
    and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
    after cleaning your machine.

    4. Click OK and then reboot.

    For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
    click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
    267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
    192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    Perhaps this will help.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

    Frank F. wrote:
    > Hi
    > Other Windows OS have the useful utility of "msconfig".
    >
    > Does 2000 have anything like it ???
    > Thanks Frank

    No, there isn't. MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back
    in WinXP, which is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is
    no equivalent utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

    In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
    deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
    when Windows starts."

    To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders,
    and in the system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can also
    be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My Computer,
    selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System Information --
    Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent any of them from
    starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts from the startup
    folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point out that, in order
    to make such system modifications requires one to have administrative
    privileges to the machine in question. I should also point out that one
    should not even consider editing the registry unless he is fully
    confident that he knows exactly what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    From: "Frank F." <Frank@somewhere.xxx>

    | Hi
    | Other Windows OS have the useful utility of "msconfig".
    |
    | Does 2000 have anything like it ???
    | Thanks Frank

    You can download MSCONFIG for Win2K here...

    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk/downloads/msconfig.zip

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Frank F. wrote:

    >Hi
    >Other Windows OS have the useful utility of "msconfig".
    >
    >Does 2000 have anything like it ???
    >Thanks Frank

    'Startup Cop' is easy to use:
    If you subscribe to PC Magazine it is free..

    Google for "MSCONFIG Windows 2000", download and install it. It works fine.

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:59:57 -0400, "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not>
    wrote:

    >Google for "MSCONFIG Windows 2000", download and install it. It works fine.

    But get the XP version which appears to be 5.1.2600.1106 dated June
    19, 2005 with size: 145,401 bytes. Here's a site with both the XP and
    Win 9X versions:

    http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:11:40 -0700, "Jim Byrd"
    <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> wrote:

    <snip a bunch of good stuff>

    Hi Jim. Another tool I like is TrojanFindInfo from Kasperky Lab in
    Russia:

    ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/utils/trojans/

    Advanced users should have no difficulty with the RAR fie download.
    And don't be concerned that the Readme is in Russian. The program
    itself has English text.

    In addition to the main page which shows started processes and
    modules, there are two other selections under the View menu. One is
    Trojan Startup (registry and other startup axis items), and the other
    is Check Ports (to see internet port activity).

    I like the fact that there is no install. The entire program is just
    one 160 KB .EXE file.

    It's a good idea to record/memorize your normal startup axis. Then a
    util like this will make much spyware/malware obvious and easy to
    manually remove for the advanced user. And that's one area where the
    various selective startup control tools you outlined are handy as
    well.

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi Art - That's an interesting tool and I'm adding it to my "chest". :)
    However, I'm a little concerned about the possibility of a naive user doing
    damage with it without some detailed guidance, since it exposes some pretty
    fundamental stuff on the same page with a Delete button.

    BTW, I'd like to publically thank you for your Updaters - they are very
    useful and the one for SysClean has been a standard recommendation in my
    Blog. (I just wish it handled the Controlled Pattern Release I discuss
    there as an Option. Hint! Hint! :) ) However, I find that it's no
    longer listed on your page nor downloadable from the link I was using. I've
    currently substituted an alternate link for the moment. Have you pulled
    this down? If not, could you post or email me (remove spaces: jrbyrd @
    adelphia.net) appropriate download links to use for the program and for any
    writeup since I'll need to update that Blog to represent the current state
    of affairs. Thanks,

    --

    "Art" <null@zilch.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:11:40 -0700, "Jim Byrd"
    > <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    > <snip a bunch of good stuff>
    >
    > Hi Jim. Another tool I like is TrojanFindInfo from Kasperky Lab in
    > Russia:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/utils/trojans/
    >
    > Advanced users should have no difficulty with the RAR fie download.
    > And don't be concerned that the Readme is in Russian. The program
    > itself has English text.
    >
    > In addition to the main page which shows started processes and
    > modules, there are two other selections under the View menu. One is
    > Trojan Startup (registry and other startup axis items), and the other
    > is Check Ports (to see internet port activity).
    >
    > I like the fact that there is no install. The entire program is just
    > one 160 KB .EXE file.
    >
    > It's a good idea to record/memorize your normal startup axis. Then a
    > util like this will make much spyware/malware obvious and easy to
    > manually remove for the advanced user. And that's one area where the
    > various selective startup control tools you outlined are handy as
    > well.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Jim Byrd" <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net>

    | Hi Art - That's an interesting tool and I'm adding it to my "chest". :)
    | However, I'm a little concerned about the possibility of a naive user doing
    | damage with it without some detailed guidance, since it exposes some pretty
    | fundamental stuff on the same page with a Delete button.
    |
    | BTW, I'd like to publically thank you for your Updaters - they are very
    | useful and the one for SysClean has been a standard recommendation in my
    | Blog. (I just wish it handled the Controlled Pattern Release I discuss
    | there as an Option. Hint! Hint! :) ) However, I find that it's no
    | longer listed on your page nor downloadable from the link I was using. I've
    | currently substituted an alternate link for the moment. Have you pulled
    | this down? If not, could you post or email me (remove spaces: jrbyrd @
    | adelphia.net) appropriate download links to use for the program and for any
    | writeup since I'll need to update that Blog to represent the current state
    | of affairs. Thanks,
    |
    | --
    | Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    | My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:
    | http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

    Jim:

    You could tru my variation on Art's SysUp. Instead of being written in a 16bit compiler, it
    is written using the Kixtart script interpreter. This allows full interaction with the
    Registry and OS.

    The Trend Sysclean version...
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

    The McAfee Command Line Scanner version...
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/clean.exe

    The Multi-AV version which is menu driven and provides; Mcafee, Trend and Sophos Command
    Line Scanners.

    Each self extracting ZIP file has a helpfule PDF file.

    I had written the McAfee version a while ago and when Art changed his web page I emulated
    his version of Trend Sysclean. Recently I added Sophos and combined Trend Sysclean and the
    Sophos and McAfee Command Line Scanners.

    Since it is written in a 32bit interpreted language, it can be easily modified for new
    threats. Before downloading the needed files, the scipts will; make sure the there is no
    hosts file, make sure the "DataBasePath" hasn't been altered from
    %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc and fushes then DNS cache. It will also make sure there
    is no malware chaining off Explorer.exe in the Registry "shell" location. The script will
    also detect if it is being executed in Safe Mode or Normal Mode.

    In Win9x/ME it will perform simililar checks and process WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI.

    In addition each script has a "kill process" procedure. Each script version has a file
    called "killproc.txt". The objective is to append the list with the name of an executable
    file like; RUNDLL32.EXE. Before a scan is performed in each script, "killproc.txt" will
    be parsed for the list of EXE files and successively kill each running process providing the
    scanners greater efficacy.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi David - OK, that sound pretty good. I'd already included
    Sysclean_FE.exe
    in the SysClean section of the Blog, and I'll take a look at the others.
    I suspect from your descriptions that they might want their own separate
    section, but let me take a look. Thanks very much for the input - as you
    can tell, keeping that Blog up-to-date is a very non-trivial process, and I
    really appreciate any help I can get. LOL

    --

> [...]
    > scipts will; make sure the there is no hosts file, make sure the
    > "DataBasePath" hasn't been altered from
    > %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc and fushes then DNS cache. It will
    > also make sure there is no malware chaining off Explorer.exe in the
    > Registry "shell" location. The script will also detect if it is
    > being executed in Safe Mode or Normal Mode.
    >
    > In Win9x/ME it will perform simililar checks and process WIN.INI and
    > SYSTEM.INI.
    >
    > In addition each script has a "kill process" procedure. Each script
    > version has a file called "killproc.txt". The objective is to append
    > the list with the name of an executable file like; RUNDLL32.EXE.
    > Before a scan is performed in each script, "killproc.txt" will be
    > parsed for the list of EXE files and successively kill each running
    > process providing the scanners greater efficacy.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:18:59 -0700, "Jim Byrd"
    <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> wrote:

    >Hi Art - That's an interesting tool and I'm adding it to my "chest". :)
    >However, I'm a little concerned about the possibility of a naive user doing
    >damage with it without some detailed guidance, since it exposes some pretty
    >fundamental stuff on the same page with a Delete button.

    Advanced users only :)

    >BTW, I'd like to publically thank you for your Updaters - they are very
    >useful and the one for SysClean has been a standard recommendation in my
    >Blog. (I just wish it handled the Controlled Pattern Release I discuss
    >there as an Option. Hint! Hint! :) ) However, I find that it's no
    >longer listed on your page nor downloadable from the link I was using. I've
    >currently substituted an alternate link for the moment. Have you pulled
    >this down? If not, could you post or email me (remove spaces: jrbyrd @
    >adelphia.net) appropriate download links to use for the program and for any
    >writeup since I'll need to update that Blog to represent the current state
    >of affairs. Thanks,

    I had lost interest in doing updaters. The one for Trend's SysClean is
    long gone ... lost in the shuffle of purchasing a couple of new
    machines and installing Win 2K pro. I have salvaged and recently
    revised the F-Prot for DOS updater, since a user sweet talked me into
    it :) But I look at it as stuff of the dim past. I have no need for
    any of it myself.

    It's quite easy to write a batch file for simple updating chores using
    Wget. You use the -N switch to have it only download if the file is
    newer than the one in the folder.

    Sorry, but I'm not going to let myself get schnookered into putting up
    a new SysClean updater :) The guy on the virus newsgroups who has been
    active with helping users along these lines is David Lipman. I think
    he might have something. Check with him.

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    OK, thanks Art. David and I are already discussing some of this. LOL

    --

    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:18:59 -0700, "Jim Byrd"
    > <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Art - That's an interesting tool and I'm adding it to my "chest".
    >> :) However, I'm a little concerned about the possibility of a naive
    >> user doing damage with it without some detailed guidance, since it
    >> exposes some pretty fundamental stuff on the same page with a Delete
    >> button.
    >
    > Advanced users only :)
    >
    >> BTW, I'd like to publically thank you for your Updaters - they are
    >> very useful and the one for SysClean has been a standard
    >> recommendation in my Blog. (I just wish it handled the Controlled
    >> Pattern Release I discuss there as an Option. Hint! Hint! :) )
    >> However, I find that it's no longer listed on your page nor
    >> downloadable from the link I was using. I've currently substituted
    >> an alternate link for the moment. Have you pulled this down? If
    >> not, could you post or email me (remove spaces: jrbyrd @
    >> adelphia.net) appropriate download links to use for the program and
    >> for any writeup since I'll need to update that Blog to represent the
    >> current state of affairs. Thanks,
    >
    > I had lost interest in doing updaters. The one for Trend's SysClean is
    > long gone ... lost in the shuffle of purchasing a couple of new
    > machines and installing Win 2K pro. I have salvaged and recently
    > revised the F-Prot for DOS updater, since a user sweet talked me into
    > it :) But I look at it as stuff of the dim past. I have no need for
    > any of it myself.
    >
    > It's quite easy to write a batch file for simple updating chores using
    > Wget. You use the -N switch to have it only download if the file is
    > newer than the one in the folder.
    >
    > Sorry, but I'm not going to let myself get schnookered into putting up
    > a new SysClean updater :) The guy on the virus newsgroups who has been
    > active with helping users along these lines is David Lipman. I think
    > he might have something. Check with him.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Jim Byrd" <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net>

    | Hi David - OK, that sound pretty good. I'd already included
    | Sysclean_FE.exe
    | in the SysClean section of the Blog, and I'll take a look at the others.
    | I suspect from your descriptions that they might want their own separate
    | section, but let me take a look. Thanks very much for the input - as you
    | can tell, keeping that Blog up-to-date is a very non-trivial process, and I
    | really appreciate any help I can get. LOL
    |
    | --
    | Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    | My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:
    | http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

    Cool Jim.

    Any feedback would be *greatly* appreciated. Especially if you have any ideas that can be
    scripted to improve the efficacy of the respective scanners.

    Art has been a great inspiration and I can't say enough good things about him and his past
    work ! ;-)

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:26:45 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >Art has been a great inspiration and I can't say enough good things about him and his past
    >work ! ;-)

    How good of you to say that, David! "Attaboys" are few and far between
    in the roughhouse of newsgroups.

    You certainly deserve some "attaboys" for all the time and effort
    you've put into helping people. Keep up the good work!

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

    | On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:26:45 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    | <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    |
    >> Art has been a great inspiration and I can't say enough good things about him and his
    >> past work ! ;-)
    |
    | How good of you to say that, David! "Attaboys" are few and far between
    | in the roughhouse of newsgroups.
    |
    | You certainly deserve some "attaboys" for all the time and effort
    | you've put into helping people. Keep up the good work!
    |
    | Art
    |
    | http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

    Thanx Art. That's *greatly* appreciated especially in the light of all the Troll attacks I
    get.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm