Screensaver freezes every 30 seconds for 1 second

No matter what screen saver I try to use the same thing happens. The
screensaver plays for about 30 seconds then freezes for about 1 second then
resumes. No other programs on my windows xp home system with sp2 displayes
this behavior. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem.

When if "freezes" does this apply to the entire system as in, if you move
the mouse, can you immediately resume or is the system frozen at that time
as well.

If this is simply a situation where the screen saver appears to stop it
motion or animation there are several possibilities but it really isn't an
issue. Possibilities range from activity from background operations, to low
memory for the graphics card. Whatever the case, it's simply not a problem
as long as the rest of the system is functioning properly.

If however, when you say freeze, the entire system is freezing and you can't
immediately resume from the screen saver when this is happening, that's an
issue. Please post back with which applies to what is happening here.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> When if "freezes" does this apply to the entire system as in, if you move
> the mouse, can you immediately resume or is the system frozen at that time
> as well.
>
> If this is simply a situation where the screen saver appears to stop it
> motion or animation there are several possibilities but it really isn't an
> issue. Possibilities range from activity from background operations, to low
> memory for the graphics card. Whatever the case, it's simply not a problem
> as long as the rest of the system is functioning properly.
>
> If however, when you say freeze, the entire system is freezing and you can't
> immediately resume from the screen saver when this is happening, that's an
> issue. Please post back with which applies to what is happening here.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Thanks Michael for your reply. I found the problem. As per your statement
that it may be a background task causing the problem, I went to my task
manager and started removing verious applications that run in the
background. The problem was with a program called Spy Sweeper by Webroot.
When I stopped it the freezing also stopped.

Gerald Paglucio

> "paglucio" <paglucio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No matter what screen saver I try to use the same thing happens. The
> > screensaver plays for about 30 seconds then freezes for about 1 second
> > then
> > resumes. No other programs on my windows xp home system with sp2
> > displayes
> > this behavior. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem.

You're welcome, glad you got it worked out.