Can't ping win 2000 Pro

Hi everyone,

I have 4 machines in a network, 2 windows 2000 pro and 2 windows XP Pro.
One of the windows 2000 Pro is acting as a file server. It got a problem
communicating with the other Windows 2000 Pro machine. They can't see or
ping each other either by name or IP address. But both Windows 2000 Pro
machines can see and browse to other two Windows XP Pro machines. They are
all plugged into the same network switch and tried with different switch
ports and network cables. Nothing help!! Moreover, there are no firewall on
any of the Windows 2000 Pro machines.

All machines have no problem getting Internet connection, which means that
they are all connected to the network somehow. But for some reason both
Windows 2000 Pro are not talking to each other. I have tried to uninstall
the network adapter drivers, but not helping.

Any idea will be greatly appreciated!
3 answers Last reply
More about ping 2000

    "Roy T" <RoyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have 4 machines in a network, 2 windows 2000 pro and 2 windows XP Pro.
    > One of the windows 2000 Pro is acting as a file server. It got a problem
    > communicating with the other Windows 2000 Pro machine. They can't see or
    > ping each other either by name or IP address. But both Windows 2000 Pro
    > machines can see and browse to other two Windows XP Pro machines. They
    are
    > all plugged into the same network switch and tried with different switch
    > ports and network cables. Nothing help!! Moreover, there are no firewall
    on
    > any of the Windows 2000 Pro machines.
    >
    > All machines have no problem getting Internet connection, which means that
    > they are all connected to the network somehow. But for some reason both
    > Windows 2000 Pro are not talking to each other. I have tried to uninstall
    > the network adapter drivers, but not helping.
    >
    > Any idea will be greatly appreciated!

    An inability to ping is almost always caused by one of the following:
    a) Firewall restrictions.
    b) Incorrect TCP/IP parameters
    c) Incompatible network speed

    About a): I have seen lots of posts in which the writer was prepared
    to swear that he did not have a software firewall, only to realise
    eventually that he had one. ZoneAlarm is notorious for blocking
    pings, even when deactivated. It needs to be uninstalled for your
    tests.

    About b): You quoted no IP parameters whatsoever. Without
    knowing them it's impossible to provide advice.

    About c): Set all adapters to 10 MBits/s half duplex while testing.

    "Pegasus" wrote:
    > "Roy T" <RoyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I have 4 machines in a network, 2 windows 2000 pro and 2
    > windows XP Pro.
    > > One of the windows 2000 Pro is acting as a file server. It
    > got a problem
    > > communicating with the other Windows 2000 Pro machine. They
    > can't see or
    > > ping each other either by name or IP address. But both
    > Windows 2000 Pro
    > > machines can see and browse to other two Windows XP Pro
    > machines. They
    > are
    > > all plugged into the same network switch and tried with
    > different switch
    > > ports and network cables. Nothing help!! Moreover, there
    > are no firewall
    > on
    > > any of the Windows 2000 Pro machines.
    > >
    > > All machines have no problem getting Internet connection,
    > which means that
    > > they are all connected to the network somehow. But for some
    > reason both
    > > Windows 2000 Pro are not talking to each other. I have
    > tried to uninstall
    > > the network adapter drivers, but not helping.
    > >
    > > Any idea will be greatly appreciated!
    > >

    > An inability to ping is almost always caused by one of the
    > following:
    > a) Firewall restrictions.
    > b) Incorrect TCP/IP parameters
    > c) Incompatible network speed
    >
    > About a): I have seen lots of posts in which the writer was
    > prepared
    > to swear that he did not have a software firewall, only to
    > realise
    > eventually that he had one. ZoneAlarm is notorious for
    > blocking
    > pings, even when deactivated. It needs to be uninstalled for
    > your
    > tests.
    >
    > About b): You quoted no IP parameters whatsoever. Without
    > knowing them it's impossible to provide advice.
    >
    > About c): Set all adapters to 10 MBits/s half duplex while
    > testing.

    At the risk of making this sound like a ’me too’ post, I’m gonna have
    to agree with Peg. . . on this one. It would be very helpful if you
    posted the IP settings so we can figure it out. Possibly look at your
    subnet settings. I’ve miss typed them and had similar issues. I’ve
    also been smacked up side the head with the firewall issue too. I
    believe (correct me if I’m wrong) that XP’s built in firewall comes
    set to ON straight out of the box. While I commend MS for making this
    available to the OS, the implimentation of this left a lot to be
    deserved.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-ping-win-2000-Pro-ftopict548030.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1733676

    /agree with Pegasus

    Without IP params it's hard to tell. But here are some things to get the
    noodle boiling.

    Make sure your subnet masks match. If one of these puppies is set wrong it
    can ruin your whole day.

    If they do match, make sure your IP addresses are all in the same subnet.
    Ex.: 192.168.5.10/24, 192.168.5.11/24 and so on.

    If the server is multi-homed (more than one NIC) turn one off if possible
    and use just one for testing. If it works with only one NIC and not both on
    you could have a gateway issue on your cards. Also if you have a wireless
    card turn it off. I ran into a situation where no matter what when I tried
    to ping a device it would try to go out the wireless card. Bindings and
    everything were fine on the machine it just refused to go out the hard wire
    while the wireless NIC was active. This was eventually fixed from an updated
    driver buy the wireless card manufacturer.

    If you have routing and remote access turned on, double check your routes to
    the internal LAN.

    Pegasus mentioned this as well but duplexing could ruin your stuff too.

    I'm just taking some shots in the dark here. These are usually the areas
    that I look at first when trouble shooting network issues. Some IP params
    would really help though.

    Daniel

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Roy T" <RoyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I have 4 machines in a network, 2 windows 2000 pro and 2 windows XP Pro.
    > > One of the windows 2000 Pro is acting as a file server. It got a problem
    > > communicating with the other Windows 2000 Pro machine. They can't see or
    > > ping each other either by name or IP address. But both Windows 2000 Pro
    > > machines can see and browse to other two Windows XP Pro machines. They
    > are
    > > all plugged into the same network switch and tried with different switch
    > > ports and network cables. Nothing help!! Moreover, there are no firewall
    > on
    > > any of the Windows 2000 Pro machines.
    > >
    > > All machines have no problem getting Internet connection, which means that
    > > they are all connected to the network somehow. But for some reason both
    > > Windows 2000 Pro are not talking to each other. I have tried to uninstall
    > > the network adapter drivers, but not helping.
    > >
    > > Any idea will be greatly appreciated!
    > >

    > An inability to ping is almost always caused by one of the following:
    > a) Firewall restrictions.
    > b) Incorrect TCP/IP parameters
    > c) Incompatible network speed
    >
    > About a): I have seen lots of posts in which the writer was prepared
    > to swear that he did not have a software firewall, only to realise
    > eventually that he had one. ZoneAlarm is notorious for blocking
    > pings, even when deactivated. It needs to be uninstalled for your
    > tests.
    >
    > About b): You quoted no IP parameters whatsoever. Without
    > knowing them it's impossible to provide advice.
    >
    > About c): Set all adapters to 10 MBits/s half duplex while testing.

Windows 2000 Windows XP Windows