Help! "Memory write" error or driver problem?

johaness9

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I just built my new system a month ago and have been having some issues. During the level/map change loading in Farcry, I have been getting crashes/ freezes. The first time this happened the blue screen appeared right when it seemed to be about finished loading the next level.
The blue screen had: STOP: 0x0000007F

I restarted and tried it again with the same result. When windows came back, the error report showed:

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\Docume~1\JW\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER57cb.dir00\Mini123006-01.dmp
" " " " " " \sysdata.xml
Error signature:
BCCode:7f BCP1:00000000 BCP2:00000000 BCP3:00000000
BCP4:00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product 256_1

The technical report browser showed:
Problem cause by Device Driver

However, I turned the computer off for a few hours and the game was working again and the level loaded. Then, another error occurred during another loading zone. This time, there was no blue screen. I was able to exit the game and saw this error message:

Critical Exception:
Code:0xC0000005 Address: 0x001B:0x4FE759B2
Description:
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Attempt to write data to address 0x00000038. The memory would not be "written".
followed by a Call Stack Trace.

The game can run, but these errors reappear. Are these errors in any ways related? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

In another problem(probably unrelated), I got "The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally" while playing the Ship, a retail mod of Half Life 2. I've also gotten freezes during in game loading zones in Half Life 2, where the hard drive light blinks for a while but stops.

Thanks for any and all help.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
The usual suspects in those cases:

Get the latest video drivers for your graphics.

Believe it or not, check your memory with a Memtest bootable cd. Run it for four hours to see if it pops any errors.

Is your power supply new?

Is your hard drive new?

johaness9

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
yes everything is new. I'm going to run the Memtest. However, I think I might have updated the nVidia forceware drivers without deleting the old one..... I'll try reinstalling those too. Thanks for the help!

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I'm having almost exact same probs. I have a newer build, maybe monht or so old. started FarCry about two weeks ago, maybe one week ago got my first BSOD when I tried loading a saved game from coming home from work (fresh boot). Once the loading progress bar maxed out, the system hang for a moment, then BSOD. I rebooted, did same, and got same error. So, I rebooted, and tried loading a saved game a little earlier in the game. That worked. No probs after, even reloading the game after death from a mistake.

Everything worked fine thereafter until three days ago, same thing happened, except this time it was the most recent saved game and the second most recent saved game. Only the third allowed it to start. But once started, no probs for the whole session, and the next day and next day.

Now today, the past 10 saved checkpoints result in the same error. I can't even get the game to start! Same 0x7f error! Nothing in my computer is new or changed!

go figure.

curt j.
e6600 cpu
abit AW9Max mobo
crucial ballistix pc6400 2x1gb ram
raptor hd
caviar hd
spinpoint hd
2xsamssung dvd-ram
evga 7900gto
ultra 550w modular psw
misc cooling, etc.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
None of the Ultras made it to even tier3. Totally not recommended.

You're an intense gamer; change your power supply to one in tier1 on the first list posted by evongugg.