GA-965P-DQ6 and IDE DVD

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Sorry if this comes up twice! (Newbie...)

I have a M/B GA-965P-DQ6 and installed a RAID 01 with success. Also the first DVD-R is SATA and installed also OK.

The second DVD is IDE and cannot see it in WinXp.

If anyone can help i'd appreciate it. I thin is a BIOS something. I had Enabled'd the Onboard Controller in IDE mode but with no luck.

Happy new year to all

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
This may not help you, but the DVD drive in my DQ6 is IDE and WINXp saw it just fine, without me doing anything special.

Did you install the motehrboard drivers?

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have installed the drivers from Gigabyte CD that came with the M/B.

I don't think it is a problem with the software. On cold boot there is no indication from BIOS that the IDE device or BUS is seen by the M/B.

Before setting up RAID I thik I saw once the DVD name come up.

My settings on Integrated peripherals is:
Integrated Peripherals/SATA RAID/ACHI Mode : RAID
Integrated Peripherals/SATA Port0-3 Native Mode : Disabled
Integrated Peripherals/Onboard SATA/IDE Device : Enable
Integrated Peripherals/Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode : IDE

Thanks for any help (or at least reading...!)
Ioannis

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
When you reboot, does it include it in the "Detecting drives" result? If it doesn't, then it's either a hardware issue, or bios settings. As far as I understand it, If you have the onboard IDE enabled, it should work... Faulty drive, perhaps?

If you have it sitting in the bios screen, can you open the drive successfully by pressing eject?

irqthecat

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I had some difficulty with my DQ6 consisently not finding the IDE drives when I was first building it. Turned out to be the IDE cable supplied by Gigabyte with the board. Put in a different cable and all has been working since. Just a thought.

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Well I suppose that if cable has a problem, in Windows/Device Manager should show IDE/ATAPI Controllers, right?

I don't see this in the list. Also tried instead of DVD a HD in vain.

Crashman, what do you mean "disable the gigabyte SATA controller chip?". The IDE controller is on that chip. Should this be disabled? My settings in BIOS are:

Integrated Peripherals/SATA RAID/ACHI Mode : RAID
Integrated Peripherals/SATA Port0-3 Native Mode : Disabled

Plankmeister: No it does not include it in reboot. Hope not a hardware issue... Sure is not faulty Drive. Checked.

Thanks, Ioannis

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like you have everything set up and it should work! You might have a bad cable, also check the MAIN page in BIOS to see that all your drives listed there are set to "auto".

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
They are in NONE. If I enter to each one and select AUTO, after a few seconds it returns to NONE for every channel.

I don't think it is a bad cable situation, since windows cannot see IDE/ATAPI controller at all!

:(

Ioannis

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I really hope not this!

I will return with any of the found solutions to help others.

Also on the same system I have a DVDRW (Plextor 760SA) on SATA channel 4 working ok but reading speed is not more than 9.5x although the channel is SATA II!

Any tip on that?

Ioannis

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That means the board isn't detecting the drive, because last time I checked Gigabyte had FULLY integrated its JMicron controller BIOS into motherboard BIOS so that drives would show up as "MAIN".

Something is turned off, in the wrong mode, or the drive isn't being detected. Drive not detected could mean a bad cable or bad power lead.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I really hope not this!

I will return with any of the found solutions to help others.

Also on the same system I have a DVDRW (Plextor 760SA) on SATA channel 4 working ok but reading speed is not more than 9.5x although the channel is SATA II!

Any tip on that?

Ioannis

SATA II (Correction: SATA 3.0 Gbps) is only the peak interface speed, it means nothing but is thrown around like a marketting term.

9.5X means that is the speed that particular disc read at, possibly on average, possibly the maximum, different discs will max out at different speeds.

They call it 16X MAX, 18X MAX, etc for a reason, it is the MAXIMUM speed attainable, not the average or minimum sustainable speed.

Heck, this is cheap optical media we're talking about here. :roll:

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I know my english are not good enough, but let me try again. The Drive itself is not the problem as I have replaced it with a known working hard disk. Please note that the IDE/ATAPI Controller device is not shown in Device Manager.

So it can't be faulty cable or drive. Only two thing remain. Either I am doing something stupid or the M/B is faulty.

As for the Plextor, the speed I was refering to, was the save tracks from NERO. I tested this feature of NERO on other Drives and one showed up to 52x (!!). Only once...

I suppose is something with the Native mode or Legacy mode?

Ioannis

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Have you tried the drive in another computer to see if its the drive? Could be a bad controller chip on the mobo, I ran into this with a different Gigabite mobo. I also had a dvd burner that wasnt being recognised by my new build which has the same mobo as you do, I tried changing the IDE cable, that didnt help but when I looked at the back of the drive it looked like one of the IDE pins was broken off, after I opend up the drive I noticed that it wasnt broken but pushed inward, I pushed it back out and put the top back on and the drive has been working fine since then. I would contact Gigabite tech support if the drive works fine in a different pc.

johnkyr

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks TPLAT. As I have already mentioned in previous posts, there is no IDE/ATAPI Controller in Device Manager. So even if the drive was faulty, there would be the IDE bus present in Windows. Besides that I tried a Hard Disk (see Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:59 pm) just in case.

It seems to be a problem in BIOS but the manual is not very helpful.

I have already contacted Gigabyte but i guess they continue their holiday...!

Ioannis

TPLAT

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
It may be set up in bios to use SCSI drivers, if thats the case it wont show up in device manager under the IDE/ATAPI Controller, if its is set up to use IDE drivers then it may have a bad controller chip on the mobo I already had one Gigabite mobo with that problem. Their US tech support was open as I talked to them about a sepperate problem yesterday.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
It may be set up in bios to use SCSI drivers, if thats the case it wont show up in device manager under the IDE/ATAPI Controller, if its is set up to use IDE drivers then it may have a bad controller chip on the mobo I already had one Gigabite mobo with that problem. Their US tech support was open as I talked to them about a sepperate problem yesterday.

Maybe this is obvious, but have you tried updating your BIOS to the latest version?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

If you updated the BIOS, did you clear the CMOS and then reset to factory defaults?

In standard settings in the BIOS, your drive should appear in the list. Does it?

The newer cables are Cable-Select (Not master/slave). Check your jumpers on your drive to make sure it's set to cable select (They usually ship set to Master/Single).

It's possible that the BIOS is automatically disabling the IDE controller if it doesn't find any active drives on POST. I'd make sure the drive is appearing in your BIOS before looking anywhere else.

kcconlin9319

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I have a very similar setup (RAID 0 on the Southbridge, Samsung SH-S182D IDE burner on the JMicron controller), and the burner shows up as a SCSI device in Device Manager. I'm using the F6 BIOS.