The four diskette plus Erd floppy

I'm puzzled about the need for the four setup disks. Seems like they
do the same thing the install disk does, up to the point of doing a
repair. Are these disks really needed? Or does their purpose have
something to do with a situation where the install disk fails to boot
for some reason?

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

The setup disks are only needed when you cannot boot the CD-Rom.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Art" <null@zilch.com> wrote in message
> I'm puzzled about the need for the four setup disks. Seems like they
> do the same thing the install disk does, up to the point of doing a
> repair. Are these disks really needed? Or does their purpose have
> something to do with a situation where the install disk fails to boot
> for some reason?
>
> Art
>
> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

The four disks are a legacy from the days when some
machines did not have CD drives. You don't need them
any more.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:52:16 +1000, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
wrote:

>> I'm puzzled about the need for the four setup disks. Seems like they
>> do the same thing the install disk does, up to the point of doing a
>> repair. Are these disks really needed? Or does their purpose have
>> something to do with a situation where the install disk fails to boot
>> for some reason?

>The four disks are a legacy from the days when some
>machines did not have CD drives. You don't need them
>any more.

Makes sense. But I'm going keep my set. After posting yesterday, I
tried installing the Recovery Console. For some unknown reason, I kept
getting file copy errors. I abandoned it for the time being.

This mornng, I got a NTLDR Missing message during boot. Could NOT boot
from the Install CD! So I used my Setup diskette set and did a Repair.

Any ideas as to what might have happened? I'll probably try doing the
Recovery Console install again today. Why might I have experienced a
failure to boot using my install CD? What might I have tried to get it
to boot without resorting to the diskettes?

Thanks.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

> >The four disks are a legacy from the days when some
> >machines did not have CD drives. You don't need them
> >any more.
>
> Makes sense. But I'm going keep my set. After posting yesterday, I
> tried installing the Recovery Console. For some unknown reason, I kept
> getting file copy errors. I abandoned it for the time being.
>
> This mornng, I got a NTLDR Missing message during boot. Could NOT boot
> from the Install CD! So I used my Setup diskette set and did a Repair.
>
> Any ideas as to what might have happened? I'll probably try doing the
> Recovery Console install again today. Why might I have experienced a
> failure to boot using my install CD? What might I have tried to get it
> to boot without resorting to the diskettes?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Art
>
> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

That's usually a sign of a dirty/scratched or a failing cd-r or cd-r/w disc,
I once bought some cheap discs that degraded very quickly and started to
give read errors 6 months after they were written. I got some decent discs
and copied the data over and after a couple more months they had degraded
completely and are now used as drinks coasters.

It can also be caused by a cd-rom drive on the way out as the optics get
misaligned over time - had that problem with a Philips cd-r drive a few
years back.

Chris

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:34:05 GMT, "Chris Dugan"
<chrisdotdugan@bloodyobvious.co.uk> wrote:

>> >The four disks are a legacy from the days when some
>> >machines did not have CD drives. You don't need them
>> >any more.
>>
>> Makes sense. But I'm going keep my set. After posting yesterday, I
>> tried installing the Recovery Console. For some unknown reason, I kept
>> getting file copy errors. I abandoned it for the time being.
>>
>> This mornng, I got a NTLDR Missing message during boot. Could NOT boot
>> from the Install CD! So I used my Setup diskette set and did a Repair.
>>
>> Any ideas as to what might have happened? I'll probably try doing the
>> Recovery Console install again today. Why might I have experienced a
>> failure to boot using my install CD? What might I have tried to get it
>> to boot without resorting to the diskettes?
>>

>That's usually a sign of a dirty/scratched or a failing cd-r or cd-r/w disc,
>I once bought some cheap discs that degraded very quickly and started to
>give read errors 6 months after they were written. I got some decent discs
>and copied the data over and after a couple more months they had degraded
>completely and are now used as drinks coasters.
>
>It can also be caused by a cd-rom drive on the way out as the optics get
>misaligned over time - had that problem with a Philips cd-r drive a few
>years back.

Fortunately that wasn't the problem. I noticed script errors when
using Help. Then IE6 misbehaved while doing a Windows update.

Downloading and reinstalling IE6 + sp1 has taken care of the problems.
I was able to do the Recovery Console install, and Windows Help now
works fine. My CD install disk is ok. And I do have it backed up. The
machine, including the CD ROM drive is new. Dunno what started the
problem with IE 6 unless it had something to do with the endless
downloads and installs of patches and sp4, etc.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

TRENDING THREADS