Need a BYOD IDE NAS for 4 drives

disanized

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hello,

I am having the hardest time finding a 4 drive NAS that supports IDE. The only one I can find is the Thecus N4000, but I can't find it available for sale anywhere.

Question: Do any of you have any recommendations for a product or solution?

The reason I'm looking for this is that I now have 4 extra 300GB IDE drives that are unused. They are unused because when I upgraded my server to a 64-bit OS, I couldn't find a reasonably priced IDE RAID controller that has 64 bit drivers. The consumer models only come in SATA, so I ended up going with a SATA RAID on my server with new drives and all.

I travel to lands far away that sometime have no Internet connectivity so I'm trying to find a smallish/portable solution that will give myself and several others access to a lot of data over a LAN.

Thanks in advance.

disanized

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Thank you for the quick reply.

I couldn't find any stand alone NAS products on www.servercase.com

Also, I need something smaller than a rackmount form factor as it needs to fit in a pack or suitcase size container. A device more along the size and shape of the Snap 2200 or Thecus N4000 would be better.

The device must accompnay me and I often travel by air and some of the modes of travel I utilize are...um..tactical and don't have the room for a 19" wide device.

Any other suggestions or am I SOL?
Thanks again.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
The device must accompnay me and I often travel by air and some of the modes of travel I utilize are...um..tactical and don't have the room for a 19" wide device.

I wouldn't expect a long life for desktop HD's under travelling conditions (I imagine some rough roads, vehicle shocks, etc.), and would probably try SATA notebook drives, optical storage, perhaps satellite wireless or mnemonics instead.

You could try SATA adapters. E.g.

http://www.syba.com/product/41/04/02/index.html

disanized

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
As long as the device is of the form factors I described, I can ensure that it is reasonably cushioned while traveling on rough transports.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I 2nd the snap server suggestion. Just out of curiosity why do you need 4 drives? With hdd capacity these days, you could make a 1TB NAS out of 2 drives. There are tons of used snap servers roaming around. I believe Linksys also makes a NAS that supports two disks. If you don't need more than 1TB, that's what I'd go with.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The 4000 can run RAID5, which should match the bandwidth of the 10/100 network. The max size is 250gig x 4 = 750gig usable space. Raid 5 gives you speed along with data protection. He is more interested in data protection.

The Snap 2200 is a small foot print with raid 0 & 1. What I have, supports old mac's running 8.6 OS and up. Not a fast unit. Uses hardware raid, but only has a 4.8 Meg/sec speed.