Page File Query

I'm new to XP. In 98SE the standard wisdom seemed to be to keep your
swap file on a separate logical drive of its own, with some debate
over size. What is the advice for Win XP SP2?
My relevant system specs are:
Processor: P4 3 GHz
RAM: 2 x 512 as dual channel
HDD: 160 GB parallel ATA 133; 8 MB cache

Dave Gillingham
More about page file query

    Dave Gillingham wrote:
    > I'm new to XP. In 98SE the standard wisdom seemed to be to keep your
    > swap file on a separate logical drive of its own, with some debate
    > over size. What is the advice for Win XP SP2?
    > My relevant system specs are:
    > Processor: P4 3 GHz
    > RAM: 2 x 512 as dual channel
    > HDD: 160 GB parallel ATA 133; 8 MB cache

    If a pagefile grows on a populated volume it might get fragmented, causing a
    performance hit. This can be circumvented in two ways:

    1) Use a separate page partition.

    2) Set the minimum size of your pagefile high enough, so your pagefile
    rarely, if ever, grows.

    So yes, you can use a separate partition. But I don't think it is necessary,
    especially not in your case. You have a gig of RAM, so unless you do some
    very heavy computing you should not need much paging at all. Unfortunately
    some Windows applications and system calls seem to malfunction if there is
    no page/swap, no matter how much RAM you have, so you will probably need at
    least a small pagefile. But apart from that you should be set.

    My advice would be to partition your drive in at least two (maybe three)
    partitions. First a relatively small C:, max 20 GB, for Windows and system
    files. Then a larger D: for applications. And then maybe even an E: for data
    storage. The reason for this is that your drive is fastest at the beginning
    of the user space, and slower at the end. Thus you want Windows and the
    pagefile on your fastest volume, which is C:. After installation (and of
    course a full run of updating, including SP2) turn off the pagefile and
    hibernation, defragment C: and then reenable hibernation if you think you
    will use it. Then make a pagefile with an initial size of 512-1024 MB and a
    maximum size of whatever you think will be free on C:. Every once in a while
    when running heavy programs (I don't know what you're into, but video
    editing, professional image editing or certain games might do it for you)
    check the task manager and see how much page file usage it reports. If it
    ever grows larger than the minimum you specified you might consider
    increasing the initial value. If not, I would leave it.

    Also, if you ever install a second physical drive, you might want to put
    another pagefile on the first partition of it. This way any pagefile usage
    will be split across two physical drives, which should increase page
    performance.

    Personally I have 512 MB RAM, and two pagefiles on two physical drives with
    initial sizes of 512 MB each. And I have never noticed any of them growing
    above this.

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:03:39 +1000, Dave Gillingham wrote:

    > I'm new to XP. In 98SE the standard wisdom seemed to be to keep your
    > swap file on a separate logical drive of its own, with some debate
    > over size. What is the advice for Win XP SP2?
    > My relevant system specs are:
    > Processor: P4 3 GHz
    > RAM: 2 x 512 as dual channel
    > HDD: 160 GB parallel ATA 133; 8 MB cache
    >
    > Dave Gillingham
    > To email me remove the .private from my email address.

    With one physical drive and a good amount of RAM, I would leave the
    pagefile at its default settings. A primer on WinXP's virtual memory can be
    found here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Win98 only kept the page file on a separate drive if the user specifically
    set it up that way. Same with XP. The primary gain with using a separate
    drive for the page file is to reduce head movement on the system drive. The
    more memory you have in your system, the less gain there is in doing this.
    You do not get any gain from putting the page file on a separate partition
    of the same drive. To benefit, you need two internal hard drives with the
    system on one and the page file on the other. Do not use an external or
    removable drive for the page file.

    In news:q1l9v0djclta630187ap0nf4d4sqh8l4es@4ax.com,
    Dave Gillingham <dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> typed:

    > I'm new to XP. In 98SE the standard wisdom seemed to be to
    > keep your
    > swap file on a separate logical drive of its own, with some
    > debate
    > over size.

    No, it was poor "wisdom" in Windows 98, and remains poor advice
    in Windows XP.

    Putting the swap file (or page file) on a second partition on
    your only physical drive puts it farther from the other
    frequently-used data on the drive, increases head movement to and
    from it (head movement is by far the slowest aspect of disk I/O),
    and thereby slows down all use of the page file. It's the worst
    place for it.

    If you have more than one physical drive, moving the page file to
    a second drive *is* generally a good thing to do, for the same
    reason. It decreases head movement and speeds up using it (unless
    less that second drive is much slower than the first one). As a
    general rule of thumb, put the page file on the most-used
    partition of the least-used physical drive. For almost everyone
    with a single drive, that's C:\

    > What is the advice for Win XP SP2?
    > My relevant system specs are:
    > Processor: P4 3 GHz
    > RAM: 2 x 512 as dual channel
    > HDD: 160 GB parallel ATA 133; 8 MB cache

    Overriding the above, in your case, with 1024MB of RAM, unless
    the applications you run are extremely demanding, it's highly
    unlikely that you will use the page file at all, or if you do, it
    will be very seldom. So it hardly makes a difference where it is
    or how large it is. As a general rule, it's good to make the
    initial size small (100-200MB), but give it a very large maximum
    so it can grow if it ever (even if unlikely) needs to.

    Leave it where it is, and make it 100MB-2000MB. Or even leave the
    Windows default, which is much more than you need, but other than
    wasting a little disk space (which you would seem to have plenty
    of) won't hurt you. For more info, read Alex Nichol's article,
    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP," at
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    One thing that people miss is this. Each IDE channel has one IRQ to share
    among 2 possible installed drives. The two drives on this channel will
    read/write sequentially. If drive 0 is reading there is no writing on drive
    0 or drive 1, until the IDE controller shares out the disk activity or the
    reading on drive 0 is completed. Thus, placing the pagefile on the second
    drive (drive 1) of the same IDE controller gains you "nothing"!

    Now, if you place the pagefile on drive 2 (attached to the secondary IDE
    controller) the pagefile can be written to or read from "concurrently" with
    any action on drive 0 (which is usually where the operating system is
    installed) or on drive 1.

    This will definitely give you a perceptible performance gain. I have tested
    the various combinations repeatedly over the past 3 years while burning
    CD's, ripping CD's, rendering large PhotoShop files, working with huge
    AutoCAD files and converting video files. The place for the pagefile to be
    is on a separate drive on another IDE controller from the operating system.
    Any active programs and associated working files should be on another
    controller from the pagefile also.

    Because of this I have always installed the operating system, Office and any
    necessary utilities (those programs that I would never run without) on drive
    0. All my other programs are installed on drive 1 (both on the same IDE
    controller channel). My page file is always installed either on drive 2 or
    drive 3 on the second IDE controller channel.

    I have set up many multiple dozens of clients computers the same way and
    they have all been extremely pleased with the outcome!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    Ken Blake wrote:

    > No, it was poor "wisdom" in Windows 98, and remains poor advice
    > in Windows XP.
    >
    > Putting the swap file (or page file) on a second partition on
    > your only physical drive puts it farther from the other
    > frequently-used data on the drive, increases head movement to and
    > from it (head movement is by far the slowest aspect of disk I/O),
    > and thereby slows down all use of the page file. It's the worst
    > place for it.

    Actually, if I remember my hard drive partition layout correctly from my
    class at college, partitions (volumes) that don't use the entire drive
    are 'pie-shaped', and thus - because the platter is in motion - the head
    doesn't necessarily have to move any farther to (nor take any longer to
    get to) any particular data on the swap file, than it would necessarily
    have had to move had the swap file not been in a separate partition on
    the same drive.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    You are correct. I have not bothered moving the page file for a couple of
    years because I use a fast system with 2GB of ram and SATA drives now and I
    just am not displeased with performance. I did use a 20GB second IDE drive
    for the page file on a previous machine but I was using a Promise ATA133 PCI
    controller so everything was asynchronious; but I had forgotten that until
    you mentioned it. Thanks for the reminder.

    You're very welcome!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> [...]
    >> they have all been extremely pleased with the outcome!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>
    >> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>

    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Win98 only kept the page file on a separate drive if the user
    >>> specifically set it up that way. Same with XP. The primary gain with
    >>> using a separate drive for the page file is to reduce head movement on
    >>> the system drive. The more memory you have in your system, the less gain
    >>> there is in doing this. You do not get any gain from putting the page
    >>> file on a separate partition of the same drive. To benefit, you need
    >>> two internal hard drives with the system on one and the page file on the
    >>> other. Do not use an external or removable drive for the page file.

    It doesn't matter. You'll be virtually not using your swap. And it is always a seperate drive not a logical drive.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Dave Gillingham" <dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:q1l9v0djclta630187ap0nf4d4sqh8l4es@4ax.com...
    > I'm new to XP. In 98SE the standard wisdom seemed to be to keep your
    > swap file on a separate logical drive of its own, with some debate
    > over size. What is the advice for Win XP SP2?
    > My relevant system specs are:
    > Processor: P4 3 GHz
    > RAM: 2 x 512 as dual channel
    > HDD: 160 GB parallel ATA 133; 8 MB cache
    >
    > Dave Gillingham
    > To email me remove the .private from my email address.

    Thanks for the helpful responses. My understanding of the
    recommendation to put Win98's swap file in its own partition was to
    protect it from fragmentation - the defragmenter ignored the swap file
    & left it fragmented. If WinXP's page file comes into play & becomes
    fragmented, does the same problem occur?

    Dave Gillingham wrote:
    > Thanks for the helpful responses. My understanding of the
    > recommendation to put Win98's swap file in its own partition was to
    > protect it from fragmentation - the defragmenter ignored the swap file
    > & left it fragmented. If WinXP's page file comes into play & becomes
    > fragmented, does the same problem occur?

    Yes. The easiest way to prevent this is to set an initial size high enough
    so the file hardly, if ever, grows.

    To defrag an already fragged pagefile there are a couple of options:

    1) Turn your page file _off_, reboot, run a full defrag and then turn your
    pagefile back on.

    2) Use a third party defragmenter capable of defragmenting files during
    startup. http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml is a
    free program that does just this.

    In news:apihv05o8g3l5l7n1ca2itvdeu47713bj4@4ax.com,
    Dave Gillingham <dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> typed:

    > Thanks for the helpful responses. My understanding of the
    > recommendation to put Win98's swap file in its own partition
    > was to
    > protect it from fragmentation - the defragmenter ignored the
    > swap file
    > & left it fragmented. If WinXP's page file comes into play &
    > becomes
    > fragmented, does the same problem occur?

    Fragmentation of the swap (or page) file is seldom an important
    consideration, since access to it tends to be random anyway.

    However seek time, moving the drive heads from the commonly used
    data on one partition to the separate page file partition *is* a
    big factor and can slow you down substantially. Seek time is the
    slowest aspect of using a hard drive.

    For those reasons, with a single drive, it's better to keep the
    page file in the same partition as Windows.

    Dave Gillingham wrote:

    >I'm new to XP. In 98SE the standard wisdom seemed to be to keep your
    >swap file on a separate logical drive of its own, with some debate
    >over size. What is the advice for Win XP SP2?

    With a single physical hard drive, leave it where it is. The important
    thing is to reduce seek times by having it near other activities. And
    old advice in 98 is going to mislead. Read my page
    www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    null wrote:

    >Actually, if I remember my hard drive partition layout correctly from my
    >class at college, partitions (volumes) that don't use the entire drive
    >are 'pie-shaped', and thus - because the platter is in motion - the head
    >doesn't necessarily have to move any farther to (nor take any longer to
    >get to) any particular data on the swap file, than it would necessarily
    >have had to move had the swap file not been in a separate partition on
    >the same drive.

    Quite wrong with modern PC hard drives. That was from the days of IBM
    mainframes

    Dave Gillingham wrote:

    >Thanks for the helpful responses. My understanding of the
    >recommendation to put Win98's swap file in its own partition was to
    >protect it from fragmentation - the defragmenter ignored the swap file
    >& left it fragmented. If WinXP's page file comes into play & becomes
    >fragmented, does the same problem occur?

    Provided the initial size is big enough to handle all normal use, it
    will not shrink and will not fragment. It was in Win95, where it was
    constantly dynamically shrunk to the minimum needed at present that the
    matter arose, and the conventional wisdom is a long time dying.
    Fragmentation of the file is in any case far less important than is
    sometimes made out with modern size RAM

    Again, thanks for your help.

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:09:59 +1000, Dave Gillingham
    <dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >Thanks for the helpful responses. My understanding of the
    >recommendation to put Win98's swap file in its own partition was to
    >protect it from fragmentation - the defragmenter ignored the swap file
    >& left it fragmented. If WinXP's page file comes into play & becomes
    >fragmented, does the same problem occur?
    >
    >On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:03:39 +1000, Dave Gillingham
    ><dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm new to XP. In 98SE the standard wisdom seemed to be to keep your
    >>swap file on a separate logical drive of its own, with some debate
    >>over size. What is the advice for Win XP SP2?
    >>My relevant system specs are:
    >>Processor: P4 3 GHz
    >>RAM: 2 x 512 as dual channel
    >>HDD: 160 GB parallel ATA 133; 8 MB cache
    >>
    >>Dave Gillingham
    >>To email me remove the .private from my email address.
    >
    >Dave Gillingham
    >To email me remove the .private from my email address.

    Dave Gillingham

Windows XP Microsoft Email