*.MSI opens in NotePad no matter what I do

Can anyone help?

I've tried setting the MSI association to MSIEXEC.EXE in Open With (no joy).
I've disabled the Windows Installer Service. When I try reinstalling Windows
Installer 2.0, it says it is already installed and closes; back to NotePad
again.

I've run out of ideas.
6 answers Last reply
More about opens notepad matter

    Have you tried

    right clicking the file
    open with
    browse to the correct app and tick the "always use this program" ?

    hth
    gerryR

    "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > I've tried setting the MSI association to MSIEXEC.EXE in Open With (no
    > joy).
    > I've disabled the Windows Installer Service. When I try reinstalling
    > Windows
    > Installer 2.0, it says it is already installed and closes; back to NotePad
    > again.
    >
    > I've run out of ideas.

    yeah. Still opens in NotePad.
    "gerryR" <gerryRnospam@gerryrnospam.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried
    >
    > right clicking the file
    > open with
    > browse to the correct app and tick the "always use this program" ?
    >
    > hth
    > gerryR
    >

    > "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone help?
    > >
    > > I've tried setting the MSI association to MSIEXEC.EXE in Open With (no
    > > joy).
    > > I've disabled the Windows Installer Service. When I try reinstalling
    > > Windows
    > > Installer 2.0, it says it is already installed and closes; back to
    NotePad
    > > again.
    > >
    > > I've run out of ideas.

    I removed Windows Installer 3.1 and the problem went away. Is anyone else
    having problems with WI 3.1?

    Oh the new one. Now why did you install that?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > I removed Windows Installer 3.1 and the problem went away. Is anyone else
    > having problems with WI 3.1?

    Well, doh, because Windows Update said it was a Critical Update (it isn't)
    and I believe everything MSFT says., right. :)
    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Oh the new one. Now why did you install that?
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
    > > I removed Windows Installer 3.1 and the problem went away. Is anyone
    else
    > > having problems with WI 3.1?

    Oh. Well now you know better huh?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > Well, doh, because Windows Update said it was a Critical Update (it isn't)
    > and I believe everything MSFT says., right. :)
    > "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Oh the new one. Now why did you install that?
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
    > > > I removed Windows Installer 3.1 and the problem went away. Is anyone
    > else
    > > > having problems with WI 3.1?

Windows Installer Notepad Microsoft Windows MSI-Microstar