Sign in with
Your question

Intel Pentium D vs AMD Athlon 64 X2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2007 3:05:00 AM

Hi,
I'm planning to buy a new set of assemmbled PC between Intel Pentium D 2.8 Ghz Dual Core (820) using Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 Mobo and AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (AM2) using Abit KN9 Ultra or Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 Mobo.

I ask for all of your opinion to determine which system is the best for my tight budget. I mostly use my PC for gaming.

Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.
January 2, 2007 3:15:29 AM

pent d is lesser of the two. amd x2 is good stuff. core 2 duo is the best . but amd x2 64 are second best imho
January 2, 2007 3:43:31 AM

Pentium D < Athlon64 X2 < Core 2 Duo

Your best choice out of those two would far and away be the X2 3800. It runs faster and cooler than the Pentium D. Also, the fact that it is Socket AM2 will give you some upgradability when K8L comes out later this year.

On the other hand, if you choose the Pentium D, you will have support for Core 2 Duo chips later on.

If you plan on upgrading soon, go for the Pentium D. Otherwise, stick with the Athlon64 X2 3800.
Related resources
January 2, 2007 3:47:08 AM

Why not a 3600+ X2. With a light oc with stock cooling it would easily run at the 3800+ X2 speeds.
January 2, 2007 4:26:22 AM

Something else to think about is OCing if you like to OC things alot id say go for the PD. Its fun ! Nice thing about the PD's if your not afraid to OC the crap out of them you can get some awesome performance out of them. 3.5Ghz+ is the sweetness lol (of course a C2D would still be faster even at stock speeds) I would stay out of AMD land for the time being as it seems everything you can buy now will be limited in the amount of updgrading you can do (this is always true of both AMD and Intel) but it seems even worse right now for some reason. I think Intel is planning on some sort of socket switch too :(  like 775 VRM 2.0 or something.

Ahhh well either system will be sure to please in the end :)  I say build what makes you happy !
January 2, 2007 5:04:43 AM

A core 2 will be out both of those. It would be better to go with core2 in my opinion (cooler, less energy wasted, cooler temperature-wise). If you aren't afraid of overclocking you might be able to get > 50% overclock out of it although I would not reccomend this unless you had adequate cooling / knowledge of what you're doing and a PSU you support it.
January 2, 2007 7:21:11 AM

Wow, thanks again for those who help me make decision above intel or AMD. I think I choose AMD this time, looking too many opinion that say 'go for AMD'.

Thanks a lot...
!