Help in choosing a Wireless Router.

My current setup is a single computer running XP Home which has a broadband cable modem connected.

However i have a new computer in the basement with XP Pro and I want to connect the two.

The setup will be used for basic internet access, gaming and sharing files.

Im looking for a good unit for about $50 (CAD) which is fairly easy to use and setup.

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about help choosing wireless router
  1. DON'T BUY A BELKIN, They are nothing but problems.
  2. D-link, Linksys, and Netgear are the big name brands. I've had Netgear routers and D-Link routers, both worked great. It all comes down to how much you want to spend for what features. WPA is a must nowadays.
  3. Quote:
    DON'T BUY A BELKIN, They are nothing but problems.

where did u get that from. right now, one of the best routers on the market is the belkin pre n.
  4. It depends on the features you want. If you really want wireless-N standard hardware, you can get it, but I'd recommend waiting at least a generation. I have heard that many (perhaps all?) of the -N standard routers can adversely affect nearby wireless networks (the bad-neighbor effect).

I didn't want to spend quite so much, and I wanted an additional feature - a USB port on the router that connects to an external USB HDD to make a (probably slow) network file server. I chose the wrtsl54g linksys model, which at 100 is a little pricy but has some truly excellent firmware being developed (open-source) by some people. If you don't want the USB or special features from third-party firmware, just read the reviews on newegg for the things in your price range and pick something with what you need.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Wireless Router Computers Windows XP Networking Product