Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

checking bandwith usage

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:46:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Sorry all, I know this is not directly windows 2000 question but I've always
got good advice here and I cant find a general IT user forum.

Just wondering what any of you use to keep an eye on your dsl bandwidth ?
We have been noticing major performance issues. We hooked up the dsl to one
laptop and it was fine so its definatly something/ someone within the
office. Pretty sure it's not a virus as we have a centralised virusscan
server thats reporting nothing strange.

Does anyone know of an app that will scann the network for PC/ IP that are
hogging the bandwith ? Not looking for a huge app or anything, I dont even
know if what I'm looking for exists !!

I'd appreciate any tips anyone can provide
sorry again for the OT post
regards
gerryR
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:40:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

> Does anyone know of an app that will scann the network for PC/ IP that are
> hogging the bandwith ? Not looking for a huge app or anything, I dont
> even know if what I'm looking for exists !!

How about seeing which activity lights on the switches/hubs flash most?

Andrew
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:55:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

We've about 10 switches in several differnt spots, also most of our users
have CAD drawings open off servers all the time so there would be constant
activity from that too.

Thanks for the suggestion
gerryR


"Andrew Morton" <akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:ee5n9iydFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Does anyone know of an app that will scann the network for PC/ IP that
>> are hogging the bandwith ? Not looking for a huge app or anything, I
>> dont even know if what I'm looking for exists !!
>
> How about seeing which activity lights on the switches/hubs flash most?
>
> Andrew
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:32:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

>> How about seeing which activity lights on the switches/hubs flash most?
>
> We've about 10 switches in several differnt spots, also most of our users
> have CAD drawings open off servers all the time so there would be constant
> activity from that too.

If whatever it is that is hogging the bandwidth does so continuously, then
it might be easy to spot because user activity usually happens in short
bursts.

If they are managed switches, did they come with any software that might
enable you to discover which ones are accessing the Internet most?

Can you go in at some time the users aren't there and disconnect/reconnect
computers one at a time?

> We have been noticing major performance issues.

I assumed you were saying that the bandwidth was being filled up, but is
that actually what you meant?

Andrew
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:46:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi Andrew

Thanks again for the reply. Unfortunatly looking at the leds on all our
switches is not really going to help as by the time I get around to them all
(5 or 10 mins) the problem can have come and gone.

What I mean by bandwodth filling is that all internet access slows to a stop
(resulting in page cannot be displayed errors) I can still ping outside so
the connection is not fully down but email clients and internet explorer all
start reporting connection errors.

This is not a continous problem and only arises a couple of time a day which
is leading me to beleive that it may be one particular user. Could be wrong
but would like some sort of network reporter to fill me in if possible.

Thanks again
gerryR


"Andrew Morton" <akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:%23B2VQ8ydFHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> How about seeing which activity lights on the switches/hubs flash most?
>>
>> We've about 10 switches in several differnt spots, also most of our users
>> have CAD drawings open off servers all the time so there would be
>> constant activity from that too.
>
> If whatever it is that is hogging the bandwidth does so continuously, then
> it might be easy to spot because user activity usually happens in short
> bursts.
>
> If they are managed switches, did they come with any software that might
> enable you to discover which ones are accessing the Internet most?
>
> Can you go in at some time the users aren't there and disconnect/reconnect
> computers one at a time?
>
>> We have been noticing major performance issues.
>
> I assumed you were saying that the bandwidth was being filled up, but is
> that actually what you meant?
>
> Andrew
>
!