checking bandwith usage

Sorry all, I know this is not directly windows 2000 question but I've always
got good advice here and I cant find a general IT user forum.

Just wondering what any of you use to keep an eye on your dsl bandwidth ?
We have been noticing major performance issues. We hooked up the dsl to one
laptop and it was fine so its definatly something/ someone within the
office. Pretty sure it's not a virus as we have a centralised virusscan
server thats reporting nothing strange.

Does anyone know of an app that will scann the network for PC/ IP that are
hogging the bandwith ? Not looking for a huge app or anything, I dont even
know if what I'm looking for exists !!

I'd appreciate any tips anyone can provide
sorry again for the OT post
regards
gerryR
4 answers Last reply
More about checking bandwith usage

    > Does anyone know of an app that will scann the network for PC/ IP that are
    > hogging the bandwith ? Not looking for a huge app or anything, I dont
    > even know if what I'm looking for exists !!

    How about seeing which activity lights on the switches/hubs flash most?

    Andrew

    We've about 10 switches in several differnt spots, also most of our users
    have CAD drawings open off servers all the time so there would be constant
    activity from that too.

    Thanks for the suggestion
    gerryR

    "Andrew Morton" <akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of an app that will scann the network for PC/ IP that
    >> are hogging the bandwith ? Not looking for a huge app or anything, I
    >> dont even know if what I'm looking for exists !!
    >
    > How about seeing which activity lights on the switches/hubs flash most?
    >
    > Andrew

    >> How about seeing which activity lights on the switches/hubs flash most?
    >
    > We've about 10 switches in several differnt spots, also most of our users
    > have CAD drawings open off servers all the time so there would be constant
    > activity from that too.

    If whatever it is that is hogging the bandwidth does so continuously, then
    it might be easy to spot because user activity usually happens in short
    bursts.

    If they are managed switches, did they come with any software that might
    enable you to discover which ones are accessing the Internet most?

    Can you go in at some time the users aren't there and disconnect/reconnect
    computers one at a time?

    > We have been noticing major performance issues.

    I assumed you were saying that the bandwidth was being filled up, but is
    that actually what you meant?

    Andrew

    Hi Andrew

    Thanks again for the reply. Unfortunatly looking at the leds on all our
    switches is not really going to help as by the time I get around to them all
    (5 or 10 mins) the problem can have come and gone.

    What I mean by bandwodth filling is that all internet access slows to a stop
    (resulting in page cannot be displayed errors) I can still ping outside so
    the connection is not fully down but email clients and internet explorer all
    start reporting connection errors.

    This is not a continous problem and only arises a couple of time a day which
    is leading me to beleive that it may be one particular user. Could be wrong
    but would like some sort of network reporter to fill me in if possible.

    Thanks again

    >>> How about seeing which activity lights on the switches/hubs flash most?
    >>
    >> We've about 10 switches in several differnt spots, also most of our users
    >> have CAD drawings open off servers all the time so there would be
    >> constant activity from that too.
    >
    > If whatever it is that is hogging the bandwidth does so continuously, then
    > it might be easy to spot because user activity usually happens in short
    > bursts.
    >
    > If they are managed switches, did they come with any software that might
    > enable you to discover which ones are accessing the Internet most?
    >
    > Can you go in at some time the users aren't there and disconnect/reconnect
    > computers one at a time?
    >
    >> We have been noticing major performance issues.
    >
    > I assumed you were saying that the bandwidth was being filled up, but is
    > that actually what you meant?
    >
    > Andrew

Windows