*** Tom's Hardware Anti-SOPA Blackout ***

SabreWulf69

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Admins -

Any chances of a last minute Tom's Hardware blackout to support the Anti-SOPA movement against Internet censorship?

At the end of the day Toms is owned by Best Of Media, I think the clue is in the name.

I really feel that Toms has let the side down on this but then the focus seems to be on shiny new toys rather than consideration of the underlying issues that make the very mechanism on which it operates.

We do have some discussion down in the Linux section if anyone is interested.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Bestofmedia is about as Anti-SOPA/PIPA as possible. I've personally been on several radio shows on behalf of Tom's Hardware opposing SOPA on behalf of the site.

As for the blackout - we discussed this and it wasn't technologically doable for us, or we would have. We've been around for 16 years, and if the site was a human it would be driving now and working a part-time shift at the local burger barn. That's like a zillion in net years, and agility can be an issue with a site this size sometimes. If there's another one and it comes with sufficient heads-up, I'm sure we'll be in.

In the interim, we'll continue to oppose SOPA/PIPA as loudly as we can.

SabreWulf69

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Your opposition to Internet censorship is greatly appreciated. For what it's worth, I managed to muster enough support from XtremeSystems to get it blacked-out for several hours as belated as it may have been. Keep up the fight everyone, with everybody's voices heard, our freedom's and rights will be defended.

TRENDING THREADS