explorer.exe dies when selecting video clip

Hi
My explorer.exe keeps dying when I select a video clip.
Normally you will see a preview in the left pane of the explorer but
now explorer.exe dies saying it caused an error in the C++ runtime
library. Any ideas anyone ?

<no-spam-nieuwslezer2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> My explorer.exe keeps dying when I select a video clip.
> Normally you will see a preview in the left pane of the explorer but
> now explorer.exe dies saying it caused an error in the C++ runtime
> library. Any ideas anyone ?

You need to supply more information.

What is the extension of the video file? .avi? .mpg? .rm? .???
Which media player is the default player? 6.4?, 7.1?, 9.0?, BrandX?

Normally what you're seeing is caused by a faulty codec installed by a 3rd.
party. Have you installed any 3rd. party video processors (not necessarily
media players) lately? I've seen software from Pinnacle Systems cause this
problem before.

The problem can generally be fixed by switching to "Classic" view where
Explorer doesn't try to display the preview. With the "My Computer" window
open, click Tools | Folder Options and put a dot in "Use Windows classic
folders". That'll keep Explorer.exe from faulting, but it is only a
temporary measure. You need to find out which 3rd. party program is causing
the problem and dump it.

Tbanks for the reply. I ended up re-installing Win2K. I've had similar
problems in the past and then I also had to reinstall Windows 2000.
This time I made sure I have a "clean" disk image so if it happens
again I can get back fast.

The extension on which the explorer died was both .avi as .mpg.
The media player was version 9.
I tried switching to classic view but then when I selected the file
and pressed the right mouse button I got the same result.

Only solution was reinstall..