Restore Win98 file

Thanks to those who replied to my last post. I installed
backup and then tried to restore a file from a CD that
was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find
the file, the window didn't show any files on the CD. I
even tried "All Files" in case there was a different
extension. What do I need to do, or is this not possible.
Thanks,
Walter
7 answers Last reply
More about restore win98 file

    The question is how the CD was created. If you simply dragged and dropped
    the file to the CD, that function requires packet writing and you must have
    had some such application installed on that system such the Direct CD
    component of Easy CD Creator, the Drag to Disk component of Easy Media
    Creator, www.roxio.com (for both above products) or the InCD component of
    Nero, www.nero.com.

    Windows XP does not support this function natively and many Windows XP
    system cannot read disks created in that manner without the proper software
    installed. By the way, if you install such software on Windows XP, make
    sure the application version is compatible with XP.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Walter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to those who replied to my last post. I installed
    > backup and then tried to restore a file from a CD that
    > was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find
    > the file, the window didn't show any files on the CD. I
    > even tried "All Files" in case there was a different
    > extension. What do I need to do, or is this not possible.
    > Thanks,
    > Walter

    Please disregard my post in this thread as I overlooked something you had
    mentioned. Check out the post from Len Dolby in response to me in this
    thread as I properly diagnosed the issue and provided a solution.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "Walter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to those who replied to my last post. I installed
    > backup and then tried to restore a file from a CD that
    > was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find
    > the file, the window didn't show any files on the CD. I
    > even tried "All Files" in case there was a different
    > extension. What do I need to do, or is this not possible.
    > Thanks,
    > Walter

    I see from your previous post that you used Windows 98 Backup program (found
    in System Tools). Because that program will not backup directly to CD you
    must have had someway to copy the file to the CD. If, when you were creating
    the backup on Windows 98, you were able to save it directly to CD from the
    program then you must have had packet writing software installed. Common
    packet writing software includes names like Direct CD, InCD and DLA. But
    there are others. Particularly with Windows 98 there were a number of such
    programs including names like Prassi abcd and Packet CD. Some of the older
    versions of packet writing software do not work on XP. In fact, while XP has
    the native ability to read packet formatted discs, XP can not read the
    format from early version of such software. For example. XP can easily read
    a packet formatted disc created with Direct CD 3 and higher. But if the disc
    was formatted with Direct CD 2.5 it will be unreadable on XP.

    So I'm thinking that may be your problem. There are a couple of possible
    solutions. One would be to take the CD to a Windows 98 system that is
    running the same packet writing software you had on the old system and then
    use the "Finalize" option to close off the disc and make it readable on
    other systems. Or you could try installing an app like ISOBuster on your XP
    system to see if it will see the data on the disc. Or you could try using
    WriteCD-R/W http://www.softarch.com/us/products/wcdrwWinfeature.html which
    will read virtually all packet formatted discs. However you battle will only
    be half won if you can actually get XP to read see the files. The version of
    Backup from Windows 98 IS NOT compatible with the version that comes with or
    can be installed on XP. Isn't that a treat? Your Windows 98 Backup files
    will have the .QIC extension and XP's Backup program will not open them.

    But do not be dismayed. The 30 day trialware version of Orologix Backup MyPC
    (from which both the Win98 and XP versions is based) will install on XP and
    should open your Windows 98.QIC files once . You can download it from here
    http://www.nprsoftware.com/support_download.php?tyoe=trial&pn=bump

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Walter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Thanks to those who replied to my last post. I installed
    | backup and then tried to restore a file from a CD that
    | was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find
    | the file, the window didn't show any files on the CD. I
    | even tried "All Files" in case there was a different
    | extension. What do I need to do, or is this not possible.
    | Thanks,
    | Walter

    Michael - far be it from me to challenge you, but did you pick up on the
    "back-up" element in this post?
    Walter said ..."I installed backup and then tried to restore a file from a
    CD that was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find the file,
    the window didn't show any files on the CD".

    I thought I read somewhere that XP's backup/restore is incompatible with
    earlier versions, so the "window" (I'm assuming his XP "restore" window)
    will not be able to read W98 backup files ...

    If I'm correct, then one solution would be to use a W98 machine, "restore"
    the file to a unique directory, then copy that restored file from the W98 pc
    to the XP pc... E-mail attachment, memory stick, floppy, CDRW ...

    Or am I talking utter drivel?

    Apologies, Len

    > The question is how the CD was created. If you simply dragged and dropped
    > the file to the CD, that function requires packet writing and you must
    > have had some such application installed on that system such the Direct CD
    > component of Easy CD Creator, the Drag to Disk component of Easy Media
    > Creator, www.roxio.com (for both above products) or the InCD component of
    > Nero, www.nero.com.
    >
    > Windows XP does not support this function natively and many Windows XP
    > system cannot read disks created in that manner without the proper
    > software installed. By the way, if you install such software on Windows
    > XP, make sure the application version is compatible with XP.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Walter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks to those who replied to my last post. I installed
    >> backup and then tried to restore a file from a CD that
    >> was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find
    >> the file, the window didn't show any files on the CD. I
    >> even tried "All Files" in case there was a different
    >> extension. What do I need to do, or is this not possible.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Walter

    I missed that completely, Len, just skimmed right by it.

    Thanks for pointing it out and your solution is correct.

    --

    "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Michael - far be it from me to challenge you, but did you pick up on the
    > "back-up" element in this post?
    > Walter said ..."I installed backup and then tried to restore a file from a
    > CD that was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find the file,
    > the window didn't show any files on the CD".
    >
    > I thought I read somewhere that XP's backup/restore is incompatible with
    > earlier versions, so the "window" (I'm assuming his XP "restore" window)
    > will not be able to read W98 backup files ...
    >
    > If I'm correct, then one solution would be to use a W98 machine, "restore"
    > the file to a unique directory, then copy that restored file from the W98
    > pc to the XP pc... E-mail attachment, memory stick, floppy, CDRW ...
    >
    > Or am I talking utter drivel?
    >
    > Apologies, Len
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> The question is how the CD was created. If you simply dragged and
    >> dropped the file to the CD, that function requires packet writing and you
    >> must have had some such application installed on that system such the
    >> Direct CD component of Easy CD Creator, the Drag to Disk component of
    >> Easy Media Creator, www.roxio.com (for both above products) or the InCD
    >> component of Nero, www.nero.com.
    >>
    >> Windows XP does not support this function natively and many Windows XP
    >> system cannot read disks created in that manner without the proper
    >> software installed. By the way, if you install such software on Windows
    >> XP, make sure the application version is compatible with XP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Walter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks to those who replied to my last post. I installed
    >>> backup and then tried to restore a file from a CD that
    >>> was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find
    >>> the file, the window didn't show any files on the CD. I
    >>> even tried "All Files" in case there was a different
    >>> extension. What do I need to do, or is this not possible.
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Walter

    Len,

    Your idea makes sense to me. Hopefully, there is easy access to a W98
    machine and the file in question has NOT been deleted or never burned." And
    the problem may be no version of the creating software, a point Michael
    made.. This was going to be my initial reply--have that software or a more
    current version.

    Malv

    Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message

    > If I'm correct, then one solution would be to use a W98 machine, "restore"
    > the file to a unique directory, then copy that restored file from the W98
    pc
    > to the XP pc... E-mail attachment, memory stick, floppy, CDRW ...
    >
    > Or am I talking utter drivel?
    >
    > Apologies, Len
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > > The question is how the CD was created. If you simply dragged and
    dropped
    > > the file to the CD, that function requires packet writing and you must
    > > have had some such application installed on that system such the Direct
    CD
    > > component of Easy CD Creator, the Drag to Disk component of Easy Media
    > > Creator, www.roxio.com (for both above products) or the InCD component
    of
    > > Nero, www.nero.com.
    > >
    > > Windows XP does not support this function natively and many Windows XP
    > > system cannot read disks created in that manner without the proper
    > > software installed. By the way, if you install such software on Windows
    > > XP, make sure the application version is compatible with XP.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > > Windows Shell/User
    > > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > >
    > > "Walter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks to those who replied to my last post. I installed
    > >> backup and then tried to restore a file from a CD that
    > >> was created on a Win98 computer. When I tried to find
    > >> the file, the window didn't show any files on the CD. I
    > >> even tried "All Files" in case there was a different
    > >> extension. What do I need to do, or is this not possible.
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Walter

    Thanks for the info. I checked and the w98 has ".qic"
    extension and XP has ".bkf" extension so I assume it will
    not work. As I understand it, I will have to use
    Copy/Paste to transfer files between these two computers.
    Thanks again,

CD-Rom Windows XP