Network traffic

rry13

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

I recently loaded w2k on an older P3 and I noticed a heavy volume of (upload)
internet traffic. Zone Alarm indicates three .exe files (conagent32.exe,
dllhost.exe, and services.exe) that are constantly uploading data to the
internet. Why is this happening and how can I stop it. This computer is
connected to the web through Verizon DSL and a D-Link DI-524.

dllhost and services are just shell processes for something else. You have a service or background app doing something through
these. I'd start with conagent32.exe -- I've never heard of it, but it is probably part of one of the various packages of bloated
and buggy DSL supporting software.

You can try renaming that file and rebooting without it, but it make take out your DSL connection when you do. So better yet, use a
little broadband router and remove all the DSL nonsense software completely from your system. Your computer talks to the router and
the router handles the connection issues transparently. The router also gives you inbound firewall defense.

If you're already using a router, you don't need any DSL software installed -- at least unless you have to call for DSL support. And
you really don't want to call DSL support, believe it.

And in these situations you always have to suspect malware of some sort until proven otherwise.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.