Asus Ez-Backup and generic RAID related question

Jinster

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I have two 320GB HDDs installed on my P5W in RAID1 with EZ-backup. But in an effort to keep the case temperature down without fan noise, I am thinking about dissambling this EZ-backup configuration and use the two HDDs as two independent drives for capacity rather than adding another HDD.

My preliminary understanding is this:
1. If I was to simply take away one of the two HDDs currently in EZ-Backup RAID1, the system would still function but would constantly be searching for a 2nd HDD to be plugged in so it can mirror the data.
2. Beyond that, my understanding of RAID or EZ-backup is quite limited.

My question is this:
1. If I disconnect one of the HDDs from the current setup and disable EZ-backup and RAID from within BIOS, would I be able to use the remaining HDD as is, with all installed software intact or would it no longer work because the HDD is structured under RAID and must use a RAID setup to be read and written to?

2. On a similar note, if I was to use the disconnected HDD from my EZ-Backup RAID1 in another computer system, can it be read as is, with all the installed softwares intact or do I need to reformat and reinstall everything?

3. I guess I am asking, does EZ-Backup (or normal RAID1), simply create two duplicate copies of data on two HDDs without adding any "wrapper" or "header" or "container" so that files on each HDD is still accessable when taken out of the EZ-Backup or RAID1 configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Jinster

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply, Mpilchfamily.

I don't mind reinstalling Windows or play with fixing broken drivers settings.

Do you know what happens if I try to return to a RAID1 setting? I.e, I later add another HDD to the system to mirror an existing HDD via RAID1. How does the system know which HDD is the source drive and which is the mirror recipient and not wipe out the existing HDD with empty data from the new HDD?