each evening. Here are the details:

Date: 22/06/2005
Source: EL90BC
Time: 22:16
Category: None
Type: Error
EventID: 5001
User: N/a
Computer: <computernameondomain>
allocate the resources necessary for operation.

There are also EventID: 51 errors around the same time (a few seconds apart
from EventID: 5001):

Date: 22/06/2005
Source: Disk
Time: 21:45
Category: None
Type: Warning
EventID: 51
User: N/A
Computer: <computernameondomain>

Is the above event to do with the Page File?

I looked on the PC, and it is set as follows:

Drive: C
Paging File Size(MB): 768-1536

The HDD is NTFS used space: 2.67GB, free space: 34.5GB

Please help with this. I have no idea why his machine is freezing/crashing
after prolonged inactivity.
,
Regards,

skc

You can fix the 5001 error on your network card by going to device manager and turning off the "allow the system to turn off this
device to save power" checkbox. This might fix the system freezing problem, but I rather doubt it. The EL90s and their drivers can
be overly fussy with some PCI chipsets - I'd like to see you swap it out for something else entirely such as an Intel Pro to
diagnose the problem.

The error 51s can be caused by a lot of things: bad CD disk, Zip drives, 3rd-party IDE drivers, bad hard drive, CD-writer software,
etc. Since you've just replaced the hard drive and it still happens I wouldn't worry too much about impending drive failure. Set the
IDE driver in device manager to the generic PCI/IDE bus-master controller, and take out the "Intel Application Accelerator" if that
is installed. Disconnect any removable storage devices that emulate hard disk (such as Zip, USB, etc.) You should be able to clean
up the error 51s.

Otherwise you have a driver or hardware problem. I'd start with the video - update that driver (and BIOS if it has one that is
flashable), and turn off power management. Check for thermal issues, cable and card seating, power supply, and download and run a
few passes of Memtest86.

Best of luck

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Skc" <Skc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBF99073-8A65-43BC-B02D-2C291065C577@microsoft.com...
> We are running SBS2003 Premier with around 60 clients. 70% are WinXP Pro and
> 30% are Win2KPro.
>
> A Win2K Pro client (PC: NEC PowerMate, P4 1.8, 512MB RAM) had his machine
> totally rebuilt with a new Western Digital Caviar HDD (40GB). I put a fresh
> copy of Win2KPro SP4, fully patched via Windows Updates and works fine until
> the machine is left overnight or for a long period of time (i.e. over 1 hour)
> then it just freezes (screen is black) powered on but no response from the
> keyboard/mouse.
>
> I looked in the EventViewer EventID: 5001 keeps cropping up at around 21:00
> each evening. Here are the details:
>
> Date: 22/06/2005
> Source: EL90BC
> Time: 22:16
> Category: None
> Type: Error
> EventID: 5001
> User: N/a
> Computer: <computernameondomain>
> allocate the resources necessary for operation.
>
> There are also EventID: 51 errors around the same time (a few seconds apart
> from EventID: 5001):
>
> Date: 22/06/2005
> Source: Disk
> Time: 21:45
> Category: None
> Type: Warning
> EventID: 51
> User: N/A
> Computer: <computernameondomain>
>
> Is the above event to do with the Page File?
>
> I looked on the PC, and it is set as follows:
>
> Drive: C
> Paging File Size(MB): 768-1536
>
> The HDD is NTFS used space: 2.67GB, free space: 34.5GB
>
> Please help with this. I have no idea why his machine is freezing/crashing
> after prolonged inactivity.
> ,
> Regards,
>
> skc