Tape backup probelm - Need Help Please !!!

IT User Community.

I have a windows 2000 server with a 4MM Tape back up unit installed. We have
had repeated problems with the backup not running. We have a schedule in
place and the tapes are labeled for each day of week but we get errors
messages " medium not found or the back up does not even run at the scheduled
time."

We have had the tape backup unit replaced twice by Dell but it still does
not work consistently. We are usi ng Microsoft backup software. This is a
very frustrating problem!!

Please email me if you have a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Howard Sims
Howard@NJFriendware.com
1 answer Last reply
More about tape backup probelm

    Hi Howard,
    Try updating the tape firmware and drivers for the tape to the latest. If
    this does not work,try rebuilding the RSM database using following steps:

    -- Stop the RSM Service.
    -- Go to %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData and copy the data into another
    folder on the c:. Now delete the data from the %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData
    but do not delete the folder.
    -- Restart the RSM Service and reboot the machine.
    -- This will recreate new RSM Databases.

    Lukesh

    "Howard Sims" wrote:

    > IT User Community.
    >
    > I have a windows 2000 server with a 4MM Tape back up unit installed. We have
    > had repeated problems with the backup not running. We have a schedule in
    > place and the tapes are labeled for each day of week but we get errors
    > messages " medium not found or the back up does not even run at the scheduled
    > time."
    >
    > We have had the tape backup unit replaced twice by Dell but it still does
    > not work consistently. We are usi ng Microsoft backup software. This is a
    > very frustrating problem!!
    >
    > Please email me if you have a solution.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Howard Sims