Master Browser

Hi Everyone!

I'm cleaning up the events of my DC's, there's a lot of work to do here,
and one of the messages I'm seeing is about some Servers that announce
themseves as Master Browsers. The Event 8003; Source MRxSmb appear times to
times relative to a lot of servers!

I Looked for documentation but didn't find much ( that is the better I
found but is about Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcf_omn_mzox.asp ).

Than I looked at the registry of my DC's and, for my surprise, the
"IsDomainMaster" key is set to FALSE!

Well, I'm thinking to reorganize that! I want to disable this key and the
"MaintainServerList" in every server but the DC's and let they manage the
Master Browsing.

What about my Idea? Do someone see any problem?

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Hi,

Had a very similar issue to the one you are experiancing, check this
out.....

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=8003&eventno=680&source=MRxSmb&phase=1

Also, it's worth noting that if the DC's are on different subnets, and you
have your routers forward UDP packets on ports 137 and 138, then expect
these errors in the event logs.

Hope this helps : )

"Kietzmann" <Kietzmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone!
>
> I'm cleaning up the events of my DC's, there's a lot of work to do here,
> and one of the messages I'm seeing is about some Servers that announce
> themseves as Master Browsers. The Event 8003; Source MRxSmb appear times
> times relative to a lot of servers!
>
> I Looked for documentation but didn't find much ( that is the better I
> found but is about Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcf_omn_mzox.asp )
..