  • DLL
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 23, 2005 12:15:02 PM

In attempting to install an older application, "Business Card Pro", I am
receiving the error message "Cannot find shell.dll". I checked the system and
system32 directories, and it appears the shell.dll and shell32.dll files are
installed. Does anyone recognize this problem? Thanks.

More about : find shell dll error message

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:23:47 PM

"Brian C." <Brian C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 8D63B74-44DC-401F-B06B-6A5967ECCCE0@microsoft.com...
> In attempting to install an older application, "Business Card Pro", I
> am
> receiving the error message "Cannot find shell.dll". I checked the
> system and
> system32 directories, and it appears the shell.dll and shell32.dll
> files are
> installed. Does anyone recognize this problem? Thanks.

try
Start
Run
type

SFC /scannow

click OK

It also maybe that the program does'nt recognise the versions you have

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:29:27 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196453

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:29:28 PM

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. When I tried to run "SFC/scannow", received message
that file could not be found. ????

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> "Steve Parry [MVP]" <k100rs_1990@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Brian C." <Brian C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 8D63B74-44DC-401F-B06B-6A5967ECCCE0@microsoft.com...
> >> In attempting to install an older application, "Business Card Pro", I
> >> am
> >> receiving the error message "Cannot find shell.dll". I checked the
> >> system and
> >> system32 directories, and it appears the shell.dll and shell32.dll
> >> files are
> >> installed. Does anyone recognize this problem? Thanks.
> >>

> > try
> > Start
> > Run
> > type
> >
> > SFC /scannow
> >
> > click OK
> >
> > It also maybe that the program does'nt recognise the versions you have
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196453
>

> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 11:13:24 PM

Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for your reply. When I tried to run "SFC/scannow", received
> message that file could not be found. ????

SFC /scannow

note the space between SFC and /scannow

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:20:02 AM

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
>
> > Steve,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply. When I tried to run "SFC/scannow", received
> > message that file could not be found. ????
> >

> SFC /scannow
>
> note the space between SFC and /scannow
>

> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
>

> Steve,

I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted in some
files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk. Unfortunately,
when I attempted to load the application software, I received the same error
message as indicated in my earlier posts.

This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall Win2K
several months ago) I had been able to load and use this software with Win2k.
Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on this,
and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software package.
Many thanks for your posts!

Brian
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:01:17 PM

"Brian C." <BrianC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D D090C74-8701-4006-A3C4-2194EF847F16@microsoft.com...

>> Steve,
>
> I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted
> in some
> files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk.
> Unfortunately,
> when I attempted to load the application software, I received the same
> error
> message as indicated in my earlier posts.
>
> This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall Win2K
> several months ago) I had been able to load and use this software with
> Win2k.
> Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on
> this,
> and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software
> package.
> Many thanks for your posts!
>
> Brian

Did you try creating a shortcut of the install prog and running it via
compatibility mode?

Enabling and using that mode is detailed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279792

Once you enabled it make a shortcut to your installer then try using
win9x/NT compat mode.

If it installs OK you may need the installed program to be set to a
similar mode too.

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:44:28 PM

"Brian C." <BrianC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D D090C74-8701-4006-A3C4-2194EF847F16@microsoft.com...

> "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
>>
>> > Steve,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your reply. When I tried to run "SFC/scannow", received
>> > message that file could not be found. ????
>> >

>> SFC /scannow
>>
>> note the space between SFC and /scannow
>>

>> Steve,
>
> I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted
> in some
> files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk.
> Unfortunately,
> when I attempted to load the application software, I received the same
> error
> message as indicated in my earlier posts.
>
> This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall Win2K
> several months ago) I had been able to load and use this software with
> Win2k.
> Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on
> this,
> and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software
> package.
> Many thanks for your posts!

PS

I assume the software you're referring to is;

http://www.belltechsystems.com/

Have you tried contacting them? Perhaps they can offer a competitive
upgrade?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:46:01 PM

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> "Brian C." <BrianC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D D090C74-8701-4006-A3C4-2194EF847F16@microsoft.com...
> >

> > "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> >> SFC /scannow
> >>
> >> note the space between SFC and /scannow
> >>

> >> Steve,
> >
> > I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted
> > in some
> > files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk.
> > Unfortunately,
> > when I attempted to load the application software, I received the same
> > error
> > message as indicated in my earlier posts.
> >
> > This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall Win2K
> > several months ago) I had been able to load and use this software with
> > Win2k.
> > Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on
> > this,
> > and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software
> > package.
> > Many thanks for your posts!
> >

> PS
>
> I assume the software you're referring to is;
>
> http://www.belltechsystems.com/
>
> Have you tried contacting them? Perhaps they can offer a competitive
> upgrade?
>

> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
>
> Steve,

Took your advice on runnning the app in compatability mode, but still
received same error message. Good suggestion, though.

The app in question "Business Card Pro" is a WIN 95 compat. program I
purchsed prob 6-7 years ago and was produced by a co. named Softkey for which
I could no longer find a website-guess there're defunct.

You seem very knowledgeable about WIN2K in particular-what is your
background and career?

Thanks,

Brian

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:46:53 AM

Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> "Brian C." <BrianC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D D090C74-8701-4006-A3C4-2194EF847F16@microsoft.com...

>>> I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted
>>> in some
>>> files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk.
>>> Unfortunately,
>>> when I attempted to load the application software, I received the
>>> same error
>>> message as indicated in my earlier posts.
>>>
>>> This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall
>>> Win2K several months ago) I had been able to load and use this
>>> software with Win2k.
>>> Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on
>>> this,
>>> and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software
>>> package.
>>> Many thanks for your posts!
>>>

>> PS
>>
>> I assume the software you're referring to is;
>>
>> http://www.belltechsystems.com/
>>
>> Have you tried contacting them? Perhaps they can offer a competitive
>> upgrade?
>>

>> Steve,
>
> Took your advice on runnning the app in compatability mode, but still
> received same error message. Good suggestion, though.
>
> The app in question "Business Card Pro" is a WIN 95 compat. program I
> purchsed prob 6-7 years ago and was produced by a co. named Softkey
> for which I could no longer find a website-guess there're defunct.
>
> You seem very knowledgeable about WIN2K in particular-what is your
> background and career?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Sorry it's not worked, take a look at the product I detailed, it may
well have been originally the one you have, products get taken over
regularly in the IT world.

My CV/resume is on my website :o ) but basically I'm UK Network Manager
for a Finnish Crane company.

--

!