"Cannot Find shell.dll" error message

In attempting to install an older application, "Business Card Pro", I am
receiving the error message "Cannot find shell.dll". I checked the system and
system32 directories, and it appears the shell.dll and shell32.dll files are
installed. Does anyone recognize this problem? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about cannot find shell error message

    "Brian C." <Brian C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In attempting to install an older application, "Business Card Pro", I
    > am
    > receiving the error message "Cannot find shell.dll". I checked the
    > system and
    > system32 directories, and it appears the shell.dll and shell32.dll
    > files are
    > installed. Does anyone recognize this problem? Thanks.

    try
    Start
    Run
    type

    SFC /scannow

    click OK

    It also maybe that the program does'nt recognise the versions you have

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196453

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Steve,

    Thanks for your reply. When I tried to run "SFC/scannow", received message
    that file could not be found. ????

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > "Steve Parry [MVP]" <k100rs_1990@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Brian C." <Brian C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> In attempting to install an older application, "Business Card Pro", I
    > >> am
    > >> receiving the error message "Cannot find shell.dll". I checked the
    > >> system and
    > >> system32 directories, and it appears the shell.dll and shell32.dll
    > >> files are
    > >> installed. Does anyone recognize this problem? Thanks.
    > >>

    > > try
    > > Start
    > > Run
    > > type
    > >
    > > SFC /scannow
    > >
    > > click OK
    > >
    > > It also maybe that the program does'nt recognise the versions you have
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196453
    >

    > --
    > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    > Steve,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. When I tried to run "SFC/scannow", received
    > message that file could not be found. ????

    SFC /scannow

    note the space between SFC and /scannow

    --

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    >
    > > Steve,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your reply. When I tried to run "SFC/scannow", received
    > > message that file could not be found. ????
    > >

    > SFC /scannow
    >
    > note the space between SFC and /scannow
    >

    > --
    > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
    >

    > Steve,

    I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted in some
    files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk. Unfortunately,
    when I attempted to load the application software, I received the same error
    message as indicated in my earlier posts.

    This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall Win2K
    several months ago) I had been able to load and use this software with Win2k.
    Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on this,
    and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software package.
    Many thanks for your posts!

    Brian

    >> Steve,
    >
    > I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted
    > in some
    > files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk.
    > Unfortunately,
    > when I attempted to load the application software, I received the same
    > error
    > message as indicated in my earlier posts.
    >
    > This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall Win2K
    > several months ago) I had been able to load and use this software with
    > Win2k.
    > Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on
    > this,
    > and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software
    > package.
    > Many thanks for your posts!
    >
    > Brian

    Did you try creating a shortcut of the install prog and running it via
    compatibility mode?

    Enabling and using that mode is detailed here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279792

    Once you enabled it make a shortcut to your installer then try using
    win9x/NT compat mode.

    If it installs OK you may need the installed program to be set to a
    similar mode too.

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Brian C." <BrianC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    >>
    >> > Steve,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your reply. When I tried to run "SFC/scannow", received
    >> > message that file could not be found. ????
    >> >

    >> SFC /scannow
    >>
    >> note the space between SFC and /scannow
    >>

    >> Steve,
    >
    > I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted
    > in some
    > files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk.
    > Unfortunately,
    > when I attempted to load the application software, I received the same
    > error
    > message as indicated in my earlier posts.
    >
    > This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall Win2K
    > several months ago) I had been able to load and use this software with
    > Win2k.
    > Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on
    > this,
    > and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software
    > package.
    > Many thanks for your posts!

    PS

    I assume the software you're referring to is;

    http://www.belltechsystems.com/

    Have you tried contacting them? Perhaps they can offer a competitive
    upgrade?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > "Brian C." <BrianC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    > >> SFC /scannow
    > >>
    > >> note the space between SFC and /scannow
    > >>

    > >> Steve,
    > >
    > > I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted
    > > in some
    > > files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk.
    > > Unfortunately,
    > > when I attempted to load the application software, I received the same
    > > error
    > > message as indicated in my earlier posts.
    > >
    > > This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall Win2K
    > > several months ago) I had been able to load and use this software with
    > > Win2k.
    > > Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on
    > > this,
    > > and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software
    > > package.
    > > Many thanks for your posts!
    > >

    > PS
    >
    > I assume the software you're referring to is;
    >
    > http://www.belltechsystems.com/
    >
    > Have you tried contacting them? Perhaps they can offer a competitive
    > upgrade?
    >

    > --
    > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
    >
    > Steve,

    Took your advice on runnning the app in compatability mode, but still
    received same error message. Good suggestion, though.

    The app in question "Business Card Pro" is a WIN 95 compat. program I
    purchsed prob 6-7 years ago and was produced by a co. named Softkey for which
    I could no longer find a website-guess there're defunct.

    You seem very knowledgeable about WIN2K in particular-what is your
    background and career?

    Thanks,

    Brian

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Brian C. fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    > "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> "Brian C." <BrianC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>> I added the space and was able to run "sfc /scannow", which resulted
    >>> in some
    >>> files being copeied from my Win2K Prof. operating system disk.
    >>> Unfortunately,
    >>> when I attempted to load the application software, I received the
    >>> same error
    >>> message as indicated in my earlier posts.
    >>>
    >>> This is curious, because in the past (before I had to reinstall
    >>> Win2K several months ago) I had been able to load and use this
    >>> software with Win2k.
    >>> Unless you have any more suggestions, I guess I've hit an impasse on
    >>> this,
    >>> and may have to seek a newer version of a business card software
    >>> package.
    >>> Many thanks for your posts!
    >>>

    >> PS
    >>
    >> I assume the software you're referring to is;
    >>
    >> http://www.belltechsystems.com/
    >>
    >> Have you tried contacting them? Perhaps they can offer a competitive
    >> upgrade?
    >>

    >> Steve,
    >
    > Took your advice on runnning the app in compatability mode, but still
    > received same error message. Good suggestion, though.
    >
    > The app in question "Business Card Pro" is a WIN 95 compat. program I
    > purchsed prob 6-7 years ago and was produced by a co. named Softkey
    > for which I could no longer find a website-guess there're defunct.
    >
    > You seem very knowledgeable about WIN2K in particular-what is your
    > background and career?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brian

    Sorry it's not worked, take a look at the product I detailed, it may
    well have been originally the one you have, products get taken over
    regularly in the IT world.

    My CV/resume is on my website :o) but basically I'm UK Network Manager
    for a Finnish Crane company.

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/