User Account Control problem

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I have no idea what I did on my laptop but Windows does not respond when I click "change user account control settings" and I'm stuck as a user and not Administrator. I've tried several little fixes online, I read about the Office 97 thing (didn't do that), and I just can't figure out what the heck went wrong. The ONLY thing that comes remotely close to being connected (and it's a stretch) is that I installed LogMeIn Pro and Hamachi.

What steps can I pursue here? My laptop is useless right now. Can't do anything important.

Thanks for any help guys!

You can't change user account control settings unless you have the Administrator password. If you've lost the Administrator password, you're out of luck. That password, along with your Windows license key, is very important - make sure you don't loose it!

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
boot into safe mode, usually by tapping f8 when you start your computer

when you start safe mode log into default admin account you may have to select stitch user if you have selected it to autoload into your account

from there you can change your account back to admin and problem solved

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Doing this in safe mode fixed the problem. But what the heck?? How did this happen? I really wanna understand this.