Sign in with
Your question

User Account Control problem

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 28, 2011 3:28:14 AM

I have no idea what I did on my laptop but Windows does not respond when I click "change user account control settings" and I'm stuck as a user and not Administrator. I've tried several little fixes online, I read about the Office 97 thing (didn't do that), and I just can't figure out what the heck went wrong. The ONLY thing that comes remotely close to being connected (and it's a stretch) is that I installed LogMeIn Pro and Hamachi.

What steps can I pursue here? My laptop is useless right now. Can't do anything important.

Thanks for any help guys!

More about : user account control problem

a b D Laptop
a c 209 $ Windows 7
June 28, 2011 6:24:37 AM

You can't change user account control settings unless you have the Administrator password. If you've lost the Administrator password, you're out of luck. That password, along with your Windows license key, is very important - make sure you don't loose it!
m
l
June 28, 2011 7:42:22 AM

I never created an administrator password.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2011 3:21:00 PM

boot into safe mode, usually by tapping f8 when you start your computer

when you start safe mode log into default admin account you may have to select stitch user if you have selected it to autoload into your account

from there you can change your account back to admin and problem solved
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:35:59 PM

What does "select stitch user" mean?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2011 7:28:32 PM

He meant switch.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2011 10:01:43 PM

Quote:
You can't change user account control settings unless you have the Administrator password.

You said you "I have no idea what I did on my laptop but Windows does not respond when I click "change user account control settings" and I'm stuck as a user and not Administrator." You have to be an admin to change it.
m
l
June 28, 2011 11:05:28 PM

guess my question is: how did I lose the admin control to begin with? When does that happen without you doing it? What causes that?
m
l
!