File Associations

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I received a file from a trusted source that I assumed was an image. I
opened it with a viewer and didn't notice that the checkbox for associating
the file extension with the program was checked. As a result, I have a
wrong program associated with this filetype.

I went to Folder Options -> File Types to delete the association and found
that this extension is not listed although it clearly *is* associated.
What can I do to remove this association?

Thanks,

Tom

Hold "Shift" key, right click on file, select "Open With" and choose the
correct program to view this kind of file
--
Danilo Bordini - MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

"Tom" wrote:

> I received a file from a trusted source that I assumed was an image. I
> opened it with a viewer and didn't notice that the checkbox for associating
> the file extension with the program was checked. As a result, I have a
> wrong program associated with this filetype.
>
> I went to Folder Options -> File Types to delete the association and found
> that this extension is not listed although it clearly *is* associated.
> What can I do to remove this association?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tom

An example. From a command prompt;
assoc .zzz=
to remove any file type association from zzz

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Tom" wrote:
|I received a file from a trusted source that I assumed was an image. I
| opened it with a viewer and didn't notice that the checkbox for
associating
| the file extension with the program was checked. As a result, I have a
| wrong program associated with this filetype.
|
| I went to Folder Options -> File Types to delete the association and found
| that this extension is not listed although it clearly *is* associated.
| What can I do to remove this association?
|

| Thanks,
|
| Tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in news:OELlCaGeFHA.3032
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> An example. From a command prompt;
> assoc .zzz=
> to remove any file type association from zzz

Thanks, Dave. That worked. --Tom

You're welcome.