Default User profile

I ran a strictly w2k enviroment. What i want to do is on each workstation
have a default user profile set up that wehn a new user logs on they get this
profile. They are free to make changes as the want but I want this profile
to be the base they start out with. How can I do this?

George
7 answers Last reply
More about default user profile

    This already happens natively. You can create a profile the way you like it,
    then while logged on as another user with local administrative rights
    Control Panel|System|User Profiles, select the profile you adjusted, Copy
    To, Browse to
    %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
    Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "George Schneider" wrote:
    |I ran a strictly w2k enviroment. What i want to do is on each workstation
    | have a default user profile set up that wehn a new user logs on they get
    this
    | profile. They are free to make changes as the want but I want this
    profile
    | to be the base they start out with. How can I do this?
    |
    | George

    Hello George,

    Thank you for using newsgroup!

    From your post, you want to force default user profile to use in Windows
    2000 environment.

    Firstly, I would like to thanks for Dave's good suggestions.

    For your request, you may follow these steps to create a Custom Default
    User Profile :
    1. Log on to the computer as the administrator, and then create a local
    user account.
    2. Log off as the administrator, and then log on to the computer through
    the local user account that you just created.

    Note that permissions issues will result if the custom user profile is
    created when you log on as an administrator.
    3. Customize the profile appropriately. For example, install printers and
    map necessary drives.
    4. Log off as the local user, and then log back on as the administrator.
    5. Because several of the files in the profile are hidden and must be
    copied into the new custom default user profile, turn on the Show hidden
    files and folders option:
    a. Double-click My Computer, click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
    b. On the View tab, under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and
    folders, and then click OK.

    6. Replace the current default user profile with the customized default
    user profile:
    a. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    b. Double-click System.
    c. On the User Profiles tab, click the user profile that you just created,
    and then click Copy To.
    d. In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, click Browse, click
    the \Documents and Settings\Default User folder, and then click OK.
    e. Under Permitted to use, click Change, click Everyone, and then click OK.

    Windows 2000 will now assign the custom default user profile to any new
    user who logs on to the computer.

    For more information, please refer to the following articles:
    305709: How to Create a Custom Default User Profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305709

    214636: How to Set the Path for the Local Default User Profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214636

    I hope the information helps!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Ken Zhao

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    | Subject: Default User profile
    | Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:21:01 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    |
    | I ran a strictly w2k enviroment. What i want to do is on each
    workstation
    | have a default user profile set up that wehn a new user logs on they get
    this
    | profile. They are free to make changes as the want but I want this
    profile
    | to be the base they start out with. How can I do this?
    |
    | George

    Is it possible to copy this defualt usr profile to other machines in our
    enviroent provided they are running windows 200?

    George

    "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > 214636: How to Set the Path for the Local Default User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214636
    >
    > I hope the information helps!
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Ken Zhao
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > --------------------
    > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
    > <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    > | Subject: Default User profile
    > | Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:21:01 -0700
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    > |
    > | I ran a strictly w2k enviroment. What i want to do is on each
    > workstation
    > | have a default user profile set up that wehn a new user logs on they get
    > this
    > | profile. They are free to make changes as the want but I want this
    > profile
    > | to be the base they start out with. How can I do this?

    Hi George,

    Thanks for your reply!

    As far as I know, you can establish a network default user profile that
    applies to all new users on Windows 2000 computers. After downloading this
    default profile and logging on, the user can customize the profile
    (provided that it is not mandatory).

    More related information, please refer to:
    Deploying Windows 2000 Professional and Office - Chapter 5 - Deploying User
    Settings - Creating User Setting Profiles
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/Windows2000Pro/deploy/w2koffice
    /dep05.mspx#EIAA

    Hope that helps!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Ken Zhao

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
    Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
    Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
    code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
    secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    information, please go to:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    4662

    --------------------
> [...]
    | > the \Documents and Settings\Default User folder, and then click OK.
    | > e. Under Permitted to use, click Change, click Everyone, and then click
    OK.

    | > Windows 2000 will now assign the custom default user profile to any new
    | > user who logs on to the computer.
    | >
    | > For more information, please refer to the following articles:
    | > 305709: How to Create a Custom Default User Profile
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305709
    | >
    | > 214636: How to Set the Path for the Local Default User Profile
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214636
    | >
    | > I hope the information helps!
    | >
    | > Thanks & Regards,
    | >
    | > Ken Zhao
    | >
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    | >
    | > =====================================================
    | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

    | > |
    | > | I ran a strictly w2k enviroment. What i want to do is on each
    | > workstation
    | > | have a default user profile set up that wehn a new user logs on they
    get
    | > this
    | > | profile. They are free to make changes as the want but I want this
    | > profile
    | > | to be the base they start out with. How can I do this?
    | > |
    | > | George
    | > |

    the link you provided gives me a not authorized to view error.

    "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    > | > user who logs on to the computer.
    > | >
    > | > For more information, please refer to the following articles:
    > | > 305709: How to Create a Custom Default User Profile
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305709
    > | >
    > | > 214636: How to Set the Path for the Local Default User Profile
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214636
    > | >
    > | > I hope the information helps!
    > | >
    > | > Thanks & Regards,
    > | >
    > | > Ken Zhao
    > | >
    > | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
    > | >
    > | > =====================================================
    > | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    > so
    > | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > | > =====================================================
    > | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

    Hi,

    The URL Ken Zhao posted wrapped over two lines. You will need to
    unwrap it and put it one one line:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/Windows2000Pro/deploy/w2koffice/dep05.mspx#EIAA

    Regards,
    Torgeir

    George Schneider wrote:

    > the link you provided gives me a not authorized to view error.
    >
    > "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi George,
    >>
    >>Thanks for your reply!
    >>
    >>As far as I know, you can establish a network default user profile that
    >>applies to all new users on Windows 2000 computers. After downloading this
    >>default profile and logging on, the user can customize the profile
    >>(provided that it is not mandatory).
    >>
    >>More related information, please refer to:
    >>Deploying Windows 2000 Professional and Office - Chapter 5 - Deploying User
    >>Settings - Creating User Setting Profiles
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/Windows2000Pro/deploy/w2koffice
    >>/dep05.mspx#EIAA
    >>
    >>Hope that helps!
    >>
    >>Thanks & Regards,
    >>
    >>Ken Zhao
    >>
    >>Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thanks Torgeir!

Default Workstations Microsoft Windows